New stove recommendations?

I know I would like to try one. I've seen some shows featuring places with very modern industrial kitchens and those establishments showed large induction cooktops

I’d always pick gas if it was an option.

If not, the electric inductions are supposed to be a massive improvement over the regular electrics (which are pretty bad imo).

Would like to try an induction and see how they perform.

No Sir. However, if it were that great, better restaurants would be utilizing it and none do. Not used on a single cooking related channel either. Much like the very core purpose of this forum...flame and food.

I think your info may be a bit outdated TBH. The restaurant industry is slowly adopting induction cooking, but it will not happen quickly either (due to conversion costs). It is a slow moving train though and will take years to happen - so much used equipment, existing locations already built for gas etc. Not to say that chefs don't love their gas tops. Induction cooking requires far less energy (reduced operating costs), don't heat up the entire kitchen to reduce AC power/costs, lower insurance rates (risk of fire), require far less ventilation (less build cost), is MORE accurate at both high and low temps, and far safer in a both a home commercial environment - no flame, no fumes etc.

Eric Ripert (chef of Le Bernardin) for example is now a proponent of induction over gas. I've seen a lot of newer cooking shows where the chefs are using induction tops as well as they can get more accurate control. Ultra accurate low temp cooking for not burning delicate ingredients, and instantaneous power for faster boiling etc.

That said, my #1 reason for getting induction, especially if i had kids, would be to improve in-home air quality, They now equate having a gas stove in the home to living with someone who smokes (asthma etc). I've got two family members with induction tops and they both say they would never go back to traditional electric or gas. My gas stove is a Samsung (I think - the heat melted the decal off ha ha) and will likely just work forever - 10 years old and still works like new. I'll never be allowed to replace it!! I would love to as I have an above range microwave that struggles to ventilate properly when I use it more heavily. When I cook with it, I turn on both the microwave vent fan as well as the house forced air furnace air circ fan too. My area with the stove is about 700 square feet and with oven at 400 and a couple larger burners going, I can heat the entire area in the middle of winter!

Last edited:
Grant -- I had not thought about the indoor air quality angle. Makes a lot of sense.

The big boss commercial gas cooktop is usually going to be accompanied by a big boss commercial hood. Looks and works great, but uses up a lot of space and dollars.

When we replace our conventional electric cooktop, I'll take a hard look at induction/electric. Even though the house has gas and we love gas cooktops, it would be a big hassle/expense to re-route lines and install a hood. If induction really does work so much better, it would be a breeze to swap out the regular electric for induction electric.

We're in the process of redoing our cabinets ( face lift) and new countertops.
Have to replace a old Jen air NG cooktop. Might look into induction, my double oven is lectric and gonna change that to a micro oven combo.
Get rid of the micro over the cook top and put in a proper exhaust hood.

No Sir. However, if it were that great, better restaurants would be utilizing it and none do. Not used on a single cooking related channel either. Much like the very core purpose of this forum...flame and food.
As one, of the many here, who use gas and/charcoal for grilling, I won't dispute the flame and food comment. But my wife and I will never again be without an induction cooktop. Plenty of reason why expressed by @GrantT above. Lots of good experiences with induction also. Fortunately, we can each choose what we prefer.

Last edited:
This won't be very helpful but I think all new appliances are POS. You simply don't need electronics that will fail in your appliances and they will all fail most likely in 5 to 10 years. The days of having lifetime appliances are gone. Heck the days of even having a washer that gets your clothes clean are gone. I had a control board in my 25-year-old range go bad a few years ago and I was able to find a person on eBay that you mail yours to and they repair it and then send it back. Kept me from having to buy a new range. The problem is mine is built into the counters and it's actually not the same dimensions as newer ones... It requires counter and cabinet modifications to install a new one. It ain't the expense, it's the hassle. Kind of like the GE spacemaker microwave. Hundreds of thousands of houses were built with cabinet spaces especially made to put this low profile microwave into. Then @#$& GE quits making it......... Nothing else fits or if it fits its got huge gaps around it, etc.

This won't be very helpful but I think all new appliances are POS. You simply don't need electronics that will fail in your appliances and they will all fail most likely in 5 to 10 years. The days of having lifetime appliances are gone. Heck the days of even having a washer that gets your clothes clean are gone. I had a control board in my 25-year-old range go bad a few years ago and I was able to find a person on eBay that you mail yours to and they repair it and then send it back. Kept me from having to buy a new range. The problem is mine is built into the counters and it's actually not the same dimensions as newer ones... It requires counter and cabinet modifications to install a new one. It ain't the expense, it's the hassle. Kind of like the GE spacemaker microwave. Hundreds of thousands of houses were built with cabinet spaces especially made to put this low profile microwave into. Then @#$& GE quits making it......... Nothing else fits or if it fits its got huge gaps around it, etc.
I agree that the electronics are weak points in ranges...gas or electric. Ranges are one major appliance that would function well without them. To this day I don't know what Sabbath mode is on a stove and don't care.
There are models available that do not have them. On the other end of the spectrum, there are models that are overloaded with them. I'm pretty sure I'll never need a range or refrigerator that has wifi, Bluetooth or an app for my phone.

Last edited:
I agree that the electronics are weak points in ranges...gas or electric. Ranges are one major appliance that would function well without them.
There are models available that do not have them. On the other end of the spectrum, there are models that are overloaded with them. I'm pretty sure I'll never need a range or refrigerator that has wifi, Bluetooth or an app for my phone.
Yep.
Me neither.
I am holding on to my 29-year-old extra large capacity washer and dryer. No matter what. Mechanical timers don't go bad very often. You simply don't need electronics. I damn sure don't need a washing machine that locks you out of it and takes an hour and a half to wash a load of clothes and still doesn't get them clean, and mildews from water that's left in it.

In spite of this they have even more stringent water reductions needing to be phased in by 2035, using half of the water washers used today. They already don't work. You just can't get clothes clean without using water, and you sure as hell can't get the soap out of them.

Our washer works just fine. It's a high efficiency Samsung. Uses very little water washes fine. Better than the very old fashioned top loader that came before it

One of the things I seriously considered when we moved to our current location was to actually not even have a cook top. I was thinking how it would function to just have solid counter top (still have a hidden exhaust above) with a built-in oven somewhere, and then just make sure the electrical was in place (multiple outlets on separate circuits) to support numerous individual induction plates. So, most of the time, I would just need to have 1 or 2 induction plates sitting on the counter. Lots of extra counter space available. If you need another cooking surface...just bring one out. They are so cheap and replaceable as well.

I would (for resale value) probably need to ensure you could ADD a normal cooktop in the future, but....wife thought I was crazy.

One of the things I seriously considered when we moved to our current location was to actually not even have a cook top. I was thinking how it would function to just have solid counter top (still have a hidden exhaust above) with a built-in oven somewhere, and then just make sure the electrical was in place (multiple outlets on separate circuits) to support numerous individual induction plates. So, most of the time, I would just need to have 1 or 2 induction plates sitting on the counter. Lots of extra counter space available. If you need another cooking surface...just bring one out. They are so cheap and replaceable as well.

I would (for resale value) probably need to ensure you could ADD a normal cooktop in the future, but....wife thought I was crazy.
Our Son's fiancé is a food scientist. 90% of the cooking at home she uses an induction plate or plates because that's what she uses at work.

Kind of like the GE spacemaker microwave. Hundreds of thousands of houses were built with cabinet spaces especially made to put this low profile microwave into. Then @#$& GE quits making it......... Nothing else fits or if it fits its got huge gaps around it, etc.
It's funny you should mention that. My kitchen cabinets have that built in microwave space. Needless to say, it doesn't have a microwave in it anymore for this very reason.

Substitute the words "Weber gas grill" for the word "appliance" every time in this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our washer works just fine. It's a high efficiency Samsung. Uses very little water washes fine. Better than the very old fashioned top loader that came before it
Well I'm glad it works for you.
I know my mother-in-law hates hers. You got to leave the door open so it won't mildew inside.
I have friends to have a child who is allergic to soap residue left on the clothes gives them a skin irritation. They tried numerous new high efficiency washers and none actually worked well enough. They bought a big commercial speed Queen top loader. They might have even bought it from Mexico or something. But now they're child doesn't have the reaction to soap that's left in the clothes.

As for my 28-year-old Maytag extra large top loader.... I'll part with it when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. In 28 years ive replaced a tub seal, a fuse, and a timer mechanism. If I ever have to replace the transmission I'll do that too.

On my extra large Maytag dryer, I've replaced the dryer glides twice. And the blower wheel twice.

They were the last of their kind ...quality made in the US. Lifetime appliances. No fancy colors, no computer readouts or LED displays. Just work day in and day out for decades, and simple to fix. The mechanical timer for the washer was kind of pricey...$250. but thank goodness I could still get one.

Last edited:
I know several people who absolutely hate their front loaders exactly because of the mildew problems including my sister in law. My wife thought she wanted one 4 years ago and the more she talked with people the more she decided to go with a top loader but she insisted it have an agitator. We had one before that did not and compared to the new one it cleaned like crap.

However GE seems to have solved the mildew problem on the front loaders.

Mildew was never an issue for us. We learned a ling time ago it's primarily a soap issue. Same thing with residue. Over use of soap. Though we do leave the door propped open. We use of course soft water (I think this helps it dissolve and rinse fully), and VERY little detergent. Not even a teaspoon (maybe 1/2 or so). Never use softener additives in either the washer or drier either. Sometimes bleach on whites. That's it. It's our second Samsung. Partly my fault. I had placed it next to the brine tank on my softener. When salt was being dumped in the salt dust went all over the place into the washer. Ate the rear support and it failed after 10 years. Now we have a different softener, I use these in it. No dust now 1662214567128.png

Back