New stove recommendations?

After years of cooking on both gas top/range, and also a full electric, I am almost sure my next stove will be induction top and (obviously) electric oven. My second choice would be gas top and electric oven. Never want a gas oven again - releases too much heat into the room and too much moisture for cooking breads etc. I really love my gas burners, but a lot depends on kitchen ventilation etc as well. Decisions decisions...

That said, I also want my next range to be a 36" model too....restricts choices, and HUGE dent in the wallet.

Last edited:
too much moisture for cooking breads etc.

Now that's sorta interesting..... a lot of bread bakers ADD moisture in electric ovens, and commercial ovens frequently have steam injection. Unfortunately, both my blood sugar and my waist line are adamantly against home baked breads & pastries.

Stove top? I grew up with gas, and used electric in rentals, and this house originally had a ceramic top electric stove. Better IMO than a traditional electric spiral. My g/f convinced me that the time was right a few years ago and bought a Frigidaire Professional 5 burner all gas range (space already was stubbed out for gas and 220v electric,) as a scratch & dent model, and if I didn't tell you, you probably would never know. I'm much happier now. Yes, I've tinkered with induction, but her pots are all non-magnetic and if I'm not reaching for my cast iron, I'm reaching for what she brought in.

It's your standard 4 burner glasstop stove with a warming burner.

We're set on electric. Don't have a choice there as our neighborhood doesn't have NG.
So a little confused sorry we kind of got off track in the thread as you need to stay electric with no other choice. Are you replacing a free standing stove with a glasstop? Here is a link to some suggestions I am a big fan of Wirecutter decent reputation for reviews. Please note they pick a GE as their top pick as well as 3 or their picks depending on your budget but they are not the only ones their are others when you google that pick the GE also. Again how much do you want to spend?

Edit: Brian added another link GE mentioned their also.

Last edited:
I will buy another Bosch.
They make great dishwashers their ovens not so much unless you want to spend 3k. If your talking about a range they are almost never mentioned in the top 8 or 10 when you surf thru various site ratings.

Don't blame the messenger on this site these ratings are pretty favorable to LG. :)

My house was built in the 60's.
NG and 220v outlet in both the kitchen and laundry room.
I built houses for 30 years starting in 1980 and never saw that again, you got one or the other but never both.
Interesting. We have an older(circa 2004) DCS gas range in our beach house. It has an oven light as it's only high tech feature. There's a 220 outlet behind the range too...same thing for the laundry area for the dryer which has alwaysbeen gas for us. But I believe the NG was added after the home was built(1979?)and the 220 was the original power source. There's a manifold in the attic with CSS lines going to both and the furnace plus a spare line running to the hot water heater...which is 220 now and has been since we bought the place.

The Bosch range I had was a $3k range. I bought it from an over stock supplier on of all things EBay for only $700. Like I said if I did it over again I would buy another just like it. The places that rate LG so great, meh let THEM live with it for a few months. They'll find out. Oddly we installed a new gas range for my dad. He was scrimping a little on it. Took him to Abt. The contract sales rep I was referred to said "don't be surprised" but there was a GE gas range, with convection gas oven, air fry and griddle, that he said for the $$$$ was a very good range. Even bought the same one for his home. Feature to price wise, it showed really well. So dad bought it. Even though it's Chinese made by Haier for GE.
Gotta say, it's a decent stove. FAR better than my LG. The oven is a little bit PIA to work with due to complicated controls and me not being used to it. But, if I had to, I'd buy that hands down over the LG I got. Especially comparing value $1200 LG and only about $850 GE

We bought a Blomberg 5 burner gas range 2 years ago. My wife wanted it because it had a huge oven...5.7 cf and a 18k btu primary burner. No electronics, timers, temperature gauge. So far it's been very good. Easy to operate and clean. Seems extremely well made. Designed in Germany built in Turkey. Long term reliability and parts availability...time will tell.
I think on ranges with little to no bells and whistles, the most commonly replaced parts...igniter for example, are generally interchangeable.

Now that's sorta interesting..... a lot of bread bakers ADD moisture in electric ovens, and commercial ovens frequently have steam injection.

Yeah, but they only inject moisture/steam at very specific points in the cooking process / crust development.

This is a big thumbs up fan induction cooktop. I was not enthused when my wife chose it, but have been completely won over. There's a small learning curve, but then you have total control from low simmer to near immediate boil. More like gas cooking than electric. But you can't char chilis on them.

Gas burners are good. Gas ovens are bad. Which is why our current Viking single fuel (still in good shape) will get replaced in our next remodel.

Electric burners are bad. Electric ovens are good.

So the best choice is a dual fuel range. Or a gas cooktop and separate electric wall ovens. That's what our remodel will have.

Second best choice is an induction electric cooktop and an electric oven.

Our weekend house has a very nice brand new GE Cafe electric/electric. It, like all regular glass electric cooktops, just totally sucks to cook on -- scratches easily, always dirty, hard to clean, very slow to adjust the heat, slow to heat up, slow to cool down, easy to burn yourself when it is turned off, etc. etc. etc. Although brand new and working as designed, we will be sending it to the junk yard soon (actually it will be donated to Restore).

TBD if we'll go dual fuel or will try electric induction.

And bigger is always better. Our old house had a 48 inch wide, six burner, Dacor commercial gas cooktop. It was totally awesome.

This is a big thumbs up fan induction cooktop. I was not enthused when my wife chose it, but have been completely won over. There's a small learning curve, but then you have total control from low simmer to near immediate boil. More like gas cooking than electric. But you can't char chilis on them.
Yeah... no. Real chefs cook with gas. End of story.

Still that seems like a bargain looking at that hardware
Yes,Sir. Time will tell. I wish I could find a 30" gas range like the DCS, before Fischer-Paykel(now owned by Haier) took them over. But I'm also thinking that GE,Haier, Fischer-Paykel might be quite decent. We shall see. Have a F-P dishwasher Haier era in our beach house. It's rock solid after 2+ years.

Back