New Release, MEATER 2

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard

Pretty fancy holder! I hope someone does a comparison with the Thermopro Spike. My Spike works well and definitely costs less. The plastic holder is good enough to do the job😊.

Seeing these up here, lowest price I see so far is $149.99
Must do a really good job.............................?
I am currently using a 3 year old $60 setup that probably isn't the most accurate but it works every time.

I've got the meater plus. The ambient temp isn't that accurate at all. Also you have to get it absolutely perfectly clean on the flat end or it won't charge. It's fun to find out you have dead probe right before a cook. Then you have a giant hole going though your meat. But it works well enough and it's the only thing that will work for rotisserie.

What I meant is that type of probe. That would obviously work. I kind of lump them all together. I bought the Meater+ for my offset mainly because I didn't have a probe port. I wound up cutting a notch like the newer Franklin offsets have to run my Thermoworks probes and I'm much happier. The ambient probe just isn't responsive enough for an offset where temps can fluctuate.

Rich, that is the original temp spike. They work great. Much cheaper as well.
I just used mine on a Cowboy Ribeye Saturday. Not rotisserie, but it did the job. I love the fact that you don't have to deal with all the wires and the range is much better than on my Thermoworks Smoke and it uses an app on my smartphone so I don't have to drag around an extra receiver.

How do they stand up to a sear? The new meater+ is supposed to handle up to 900 and something. I've been too scared to try that, but it seems like the perfect use for a one.

That I don't know. I am not sure what the Temp Spike is rated to. I think the highest I have probably gotten mine is 500 or so.

Well I will be watching for sales & reviews comparing both the Meater 2 Plus & Thermopro TempSpike. I can see this being a handy tool for temperature sensitive proteins. I would use it for rotisserie Prime Rib, Picanha & pork loin, as well as Santa Maria Tri-Tip & Cowboy Ribeye.

Rich, that is the original temp spike. They work great. Much cheaper as well.
I just used mine on a Cowboy Ribeye Saturday. Not rotisserie, but it did the job. I love the fact that you don't have to deal with all the wires and the range is much better than on my Thermoworks Smoke and it uses an app on my smartphone so I don't have to drag around an extra receiver.
Thanks Bruce, I already have a smoke and three Mavericks, but nothing for the rotisserie. I think if I bought one of the temp spikes, I would be in deep bandini with the finance minister/war department as we don't do that many roti cooks.

I hear ya Rich. But the Temp Spike is very reasonable and works well. Like I said, I use it for regular cooks too. The lack of wires is a huge plus for me. If, I was competition cooking or something, then The Smoke would definitely get the nod.

Christmas is just around the corner.

Last edited:
I have not found it to be a problem. However, the newer version Temp Spike plus is billed as having a smaller diameter probe. I imagine that was done to alleviate some of the concerns with the original version.

I just picture one of those guys that had a spacer in his ear and took it out for some reason. Is it really that big a deal, though? Not really. You get that when you hang ribs and what not.

Back