New Release, MEATER 2

I love my TempSpike. It has better range than my Thermoworks Smoke even.
Interesting i definitely did not get that same result.
The instructions state you will lose range once inserted in a piece of meat.
Once in a pork butt the range, for me, was cut down..

Yah, that is interesting. My smoke remote would occassionally drop and then reconnect when I am in my office at the other end of the house. I have yet to find anywhere in the house where the TempSpike has not maintained a connection. I would not think putting it in the meat would matter much since it uses the charging base as a hub for the connection. As long as you keep that with in a few feet of the grill, it should connect to that just fine. Then it is just the distance from the hub/charging base to your cell phone.

My awesome wife got me a Meater 2 for Christmas, and I am happy with it so far. I cooked a prime rib roast for both Christmas and again on New Year's, and both went well. Yesterday, I put a turkey on the rotisserie. These devices will usually tell you to take whatever you are cooking off prior to getting a done temperature reading in order to give the meat time to rest and to come up to the done temperature. I often ignore that, and just wait for a done temperature while it is still cooking, I guess in order to be safe.

Anyway, yesterday I took the turkey off the rotisserie more or less when the Meater 2 told me to, at about 160°. Once I brought it inside, I took some readings with an instant thermometer, getting some temperatures over 170° but others at around 159°, which did cause me some concern. However, I let it rest for around 20 minutes or more and it turns out that it was cooked perfectly.

The moral of the story, I guess, is that I think the multiple temperatures available on the Meater 2 are causing me to trust the resting advice that I get from the device itself a little more than I usually do. So far, thumbs up.

I was a little leary trusting my Meater+ when it told me to remove my proteins from the grill, so I usually waited a little bit before I would pull them off. Now that I've used it a few times, I'm beginning to think that the Meater+ is slightly smarter than me. I'm trusting it more and more, but still not 100%.

Bluetooth LE (aka Low Energy) or Bluetooth 4 is going to be a problem for this class of device, and exactly why I sold my Weber iGrill device. Communications is very sensitive to wall content/construction. In my case, I have metallic siding which pretty much absorbs the RF, I could barely maintain a 15' connection in plain sight through a glass door.

Mine (Tempspike original) goes through at least 3 walls and about 50 feet with no problem.

I got one of these for Christmas, looking forward to trying it out. I was one of the original iGrill customers back when iDevices came out with it. I was saying to my friends, Weber should really buy this product. Super funny how things pan out.

My Combustion Inc probe has stopped working. App and display can't see it.
Currently following the advice to leave the probe out of the holder for 48 hours for it to revert to factory default:rolleyes:

My Combustion Inc probe has stopped working. App and display can't see it.
Currently following the advice to leave the probe out of the holder for 48 hours for it to revert to factory default:rolleyes:

Working again after letting the probe drain. Didn't seem to recharge in the Booster but after charging it in the original (dumb) older it sprang into life and upgraded its firmware. At least the probe isn't dead. Either the firmware upgrades caused some confusion (most likely) or there's an issue with the booster charging the probe. It had worked before!

Back