New Release, MEATER 2

I was shocked when I had just a little smoke built up on the flat end of the probe and that was enough to keep it from charging. You have to hit it with steel wool or a scotch-brite.

I hear ya Rich. But the Temp Spike is very reasonable and works well. Like I said, I use it for regular cooks too. The lack of wires is a huge plus for me. If, I was competition cooking or something, then The Smoke would definitely get the nod.

Christmas is just around the corner.
I also am very happy with my Smoke.
The original temp spike is what I would want with its separate receiver. After working for almost 40 years for the phone company my smart phone is used exclusively as a phone. I don't have any added apps. I just crack up when I'm at the doctor's office watching all the people waiting with their faces stuck in their phones.
My home computer gives me all the frustration I need.
With Barb having to have both knee joints and hips replaced at the first of the year and not knowing exactly how much Medicare and our supplement insurance is going to cover or not cover we are being very cautious with what we buy right now.

I have the original Meater Block with 4 probes and have been reasonably happy with it. I use 2 probes in each chicken so if I have to chickens on the roto I use all 4 probes. I do check with an instant read thermometer when it gets close to temp.

I agree. No one should be relying soley on the wireless thermometers to determine when their meat is done. An instant read is more accurate and can be tested in several places to ensure the overall meat is cooked.

I just turn off the rotisserie with the switch, and use my ThermoWorks DOT and probe whatever I'm cooking, pull out the probe and turn on the switch and repeat as necessary.

Tempting. I really like my Meater+, but the charge time and range are not great. This appears to solve those issues.

I have a Meater and a Meater+, both super finicky in charging and especially connectivity. I do like that I can get temp readings on the Meater app when I am not at home from the phone, but honestly that feature seems to work on every tenth cook at best. Just wildly unreliable. I also have a Temp Spike which is a little more reliable but I think the ambient temp is off on mine.

Anyway, these wireless thermometers seem to be a product line in the midst of good technical progress. Meater 2 may be a response to this new thermometer, which looks good but I've not tried. I'll be eyeballing that Meater 2 come Black Friday.

I have one of those. I think it has potential, but it still has some room to grow. Chris Young, the guy behind the product, has some interesting YT videos. Here's one he put out today on searing:

Thanks - That is a really good video with a lot of information.

I have had good luck with the Meater+ and prefer it to the Combustion Inc thermometer. The Meater 2 sounds like it easily competes at all levels with the Combustion inc with the multiple sensors including finding the true temperature. What pushes Meater way ahead of the Combustion model is the app. I'm definitely waiting to buy Meater 2 for a Meater 2 block because the individual Meater 2 units are Bluetooth only (no Wi-Fi).

As an aside, I'm really surprised that ThermoWorks hasn't gotten into the wireless market yet. I think they had a slow transition into Wi-Fi, but the Signals is now my preferred wired thermometer. That definitely wasn't always the case.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with the Meater+ and prefer it to the Combustion Inc thermometer. The Meater 2 sounds like it easily competes at all levels with the Combustion inc with the multiple sensors including finding the true temperature. What pushes Meater way ahead of the Combustion model is the app. I'm definitely waiting to buy Meater 2 for a Meater 2 block because the individual Meater 2 units are Bluetooth only (no Wi-Fi).

As an aside, I'm really surprised that ThermoWorks hasn't gotten into the wireless market yet. I think they had a slow transition into Wi-Fi, but the Signals is now my preferred wired thermometer. That definitely wasn't always the case.
I agree as my Meater block wifi has never had a problem at home.

I’ll take my Combustion Predictive Thermometer and not worry about the instant read to verify it most of the time since it has 8 sensors to find the true cold spot/center. I’m a huge Fireboard fan and have a Thermapen One and have used the Fireboard like twice since the Combustion showed up. The Thermapen has told me nothing except trust the Combustion. I‘ll advise you to look at the one Meater just copied and is probably ahead in the game, plus look at who’s leading the Combustion efforts, versus Traeger.

I’ll take my Combustion Predictive Thermometer and not worry about the instant read to verify it most of the time since it has 8 sensors to find the true cold spot/center. I’m a huge Fireboard fan and have a Thermapen One and have used the Fireboard like twice since the Combustion showed up. The Thermapen has told me nothing except trust the Combustion. I‘ll advise you to look at the one Meater just copied and is probably ahead in the game, plus look at who’s leading the Combustion efforts, versus Traeger.

I had never heard of Combustion Predictive Thermometer. I think without wifi it is a non-starter for me. Bluetooth just does not have the reach for my home. Which model do you have and how is it through cement and to your basement.

Joe, I have the range booster and display. I put the booster out near the grill and the display sits it the kitchen and then can get the signal through the whole house, even in the basement.

@Jon B I completely missed your post last night. Do you have a Combustion thermo? If so, what don’t you like about it? I love mine and I have a Meater+ that I’ve never been overly fond of and only used for rotisserie. The Combustion app was very simplified at launch, but has a lot more features now if you have one and haven’t used it in a while.

I avoided the original Meater after so many reported issues with it.
I was lucky enough to get a Combustion Inc predictive thermometer with display as a generous birthday gift.
Well thought through, looks good, regular firmware upgrades and improvements.

Only problem is that Bluetooth sucks. The signal from the display does not penetrate my closed patio doors from the end of the garden - 20 yards away. Had to invest in the booster which I attach to the outside of the patio door. I tallow me to close the door and monitor temps from the back of the house. Still not good enough in my opinion. It really needs a Wifi option to enable monitoring from anywhere.

Seems like Meater (owned by Traeger) have learned from their rivals and managed to resolve most issues and leapfrog the competition. Waiting for Combustion Inc to respond with their own improvements without making my investment redundant.

Back