New Member's Mark

Perhaps it's been addressed before, but why has it taken Weber so long to respond and enter the pellet grill market? Also, the entry level Weber product lists for $900. There are so many pellet grills in the <$500 range...too many to count and several rated very well, what's Weber's target market?

Perhaps it's been addressed before, but why has it taken Weber so long to respond and enter the pellet grill market? Also, the entry level Weber product lists for $900. There are so many pellet grills in the <$500 range...too many to count and several rated very well, what's Weber's target market?
Some people are Weber brand loyal even with all the flaws and higher price. I hung in with my SF as long as I mentally could. I hope the newer models are built better. But even their upper end gassers are made with cheap steel and the frames rust away around the grills. They now cut corners anywhere they can. But it’s really no different from other companies except the Weber sticker price is higher than many.

Some people are Weber brand loyal even with all the flaws and higher price. I hung in with my SF as long as I mentally could. I hope the newer models are built better. But even their upper end gassers are made with cheap steel and the frames rust away around the grills. They now cut corners anywhere they can. But it’s really no different from other companies except the Weber sticker price is higher than many.
I agree. I just find it somewhat puzzling that the most recognized brand in outdoor cooking waited as long as they did to come out with a pellet grill.

I have said it here before, but I see an easy opportunity for Weber to compete in the lower price pellet arena and complement the new Searwood. Make a kettle-based pellet grill, preferably in a cart along the lines of the original stainless steel Performer, or even offer two models like Recteq does. Seems like it would be an easy add, and they already have a ton of optional accessories ready to go.

As far as the Searwood, I think they are aiming at grills like Traeger’s Ironwood, Camp Chef’s Woodwind Pro, and Recteq’s RT-700/1250. For that market, I think they are uncharacteristically the price leader. It reflects, I think, how badly they want - and need - to make inroads into the pellet grill arena. Adding a pellet kettle would give Weber a great 1-2 combination.

I have said it here before, but I see an easy opportunity for Weber to compete in the lower price pellet arena and complement the new Searwood. Make a kettle-based pellet grill, preferably in a cart along the lines of the original stainless steel Performer, or even offer two models like Recteq does. Seems like it would be an easy add, and they already have a ton of optional accessories ready to go.

As far as the Searwood, I think they are aiming at grills like Traeger’s Ironwood, Camp Chef’s Woodwind Pro, and Recteq’s RT-700/1250. For that market, I think they are uncharacteristically the price leader. It reflects, I think, how badly they want - and need - to make inroads into the pellet grill arena. Adding a pellet kettle would give Weber a great 1-2 combination.
That's what I am very curious about too. Essentially a Spirit line of pellet grills or at least two size offerings in the entry level market. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

I think they are aiming at grills like Traeger’s Ironwood, Camp Chef’s Woodwind Pro, and Recteq’s RT-700/1250
I totally agree that this is their target market and as you said they are the pricing leader for the time being.
There are so many pellet grills in the <$500 range...too many to count and several rated very well, what's Weber's target market?
Why play in this space to much competition and how much money can they make at those prices. There is also the brand to protect not sure in general they are the low cost solution, people not all will pay up for the name if the product is good.

As to a Weber pellet kettle, the RT-B380 Bullseye can be had for $399 currently do they really want to play there I don't know could they make money not sure about that either. The low end Performer is $350 and of course has no electronics what would they need to charge for a Weber pellet grill?

I may have come off a bit strong dissing the new Member Mark, Larry is very happy with another model but its just to new and its a different model which does not always translate to better or should work just as well we will just have to see more reviews.

I am a lousy Weber customer I own a Silver C and a Performer both bought used. :unsure: I am not pumping the Searwood either I have repeatedly said I am interested but not until its been out there for 6 months. If all is good I don't mind paying $899 and it would be my first new Weber no interest in buying a used pellet grill and there are plenty around.

The reason I think it will work fine is unlike what Weber is doing with the SW, the Member's Mark offerings are basically "off the shelf" products with tried and true tech. With parts that can be found generically just about anywhere and even have the ability to go into very high end parts if wanted i.e. from companies like SmokeDaddy made right here in a north suburb of Chicago. Otherwise (if you had your own stamping company) you could literally build one "off the rack".
I have been actually scheming up a way to do just that and build a type of "hybrid" one out of my Wolf. Removing the gas burners other than the infrared rotisserie. Keeping that, buying an off the rack Smoke Daddy fire box, with WIFI controller, configuring an enclosed grease management system in the cabinet.
Then could do IR rotisserie along with smoke, or just cook like a normal pellet cooker but with incredible build quality and grates. The cool thing is the Wolf is so big I think I can fit a hopper/burn pot assembly to the rear ala SmokeFire (only better).
Right now it's in the "scheming stages".

There’s no room for logic on this forum.lol
Thank you Darien! Brian, you know full well that this is a place for all sorts of wild brainstorming good, bad or indifferent! The “Good deal” statement is based on the balance of options relative to price in the current market. If the quality does not bear the statement over time, then no it’s not a good deal. BUT, as this item is largely unseen by members here, one can only work from the data gleaned from people that have equipment obtained from Sam’s club (Larry) whose judgement has proven trustworthy over time. No harm, no foul simply opinion. If you don’t like the opinion, you have your own, that’s what happens here.

I totally agree that this is their target market and as you said they are the pricing leader for the time being.

Why play in this space to much competition and how much money can they make at those prices. There is also the brand to protect not sure in general they are the low cost solution, people not all will pay up for the name if the product is good.

As to a Weber pellet kettle, the RT-B380 Bullseye can be had for $399 currently do they really want to play there I don't know could they make money not sure about that either. The low end Performer is $350 and of course has no electronics what would they need to charge for a Weber pellet grill?

I may have come off a bit strong dissing the new Member Mark, Larry is very happy with another model but its just to new and its a different model which does not always translate to better or should work just as well we will just have to see more reviews.

I am a lousy Weber customer I own a Silver C and a Performer both bought used. :unsure: I am not pumping the Searwood either I have repeatedly said I am interested but not until its been out there for 6 months. If all is good I don't mind paying $899 and it would be my first new Weber no interest in buying a used pellet grill and there are plenty around.
Why does Weber play in the entry level gas grill market than? The Spirit and especially the Spirit II lines are exactly that.

Brian, I didn’t take any offense to your observations. My statement of this new MM being a “great deal” was based on (1) the attractive size, features, and Larry’s overall good - though not perfect - experience with his Members Mark and (2) the availabilty of the option to add wood chunks using that tray - a first in this price range. I do agree with you that the jury is out. I want to see one in person, especially that tray. The few photos raise questions about how it is emptied/refilled. But I think @LMichaels is right about the “off the shelf” design reducing potential quality - and obsolescence - concerns.

I really think Weber could make a better pellet kettle than Recteq if they put their minds to it. An entry-level basic one and a cart-based fancy version that come in close to Recteq’s prices could be a winner in my view. They already have most of what is needed already engineered.

Last edited:
Jon, I agree with you that Weber could most likely build a better pellet kettle. Just not sure what they would need to charge for it and of course it kind of collides with the Performer I get its not charcoal. A Performer with the full size cart is now $549 again no electronics which has to add to the cost. I personally think 2 pellet grills in their line is enough comes a point and they already have a massive number of grills in the other lines where the inventory issue becomes a factor as its more inventory for parts and units and it was not exactly like they were swimming in cash and can afford to keep adding new products unless they are confident they can sell them.

I hope you get your wish down the road maybe in a few years but for the time being they need to prove the new Searwood line is solid and a winner sales wise. The first time around did not go so well.

Jay, not so sure you would call a Weber 2 burner Spirit ii gas grill entry level at $450 dollars. Entry level for Weber yes but just go into a Lowes website and see how many gas grills are under $300 which includes many that are 3 burner or some even 4 burner.

Tim or anyone else I really meant no offense and I have been around here for awhile so I get all of us will have different opinions on the same subject from time to time and nothing wrong with that. I certainly did not want to infer my opinion was all that counts it may have come off that way bad wording on my part. Now I am going to stand in a corner for a timeout. :)

Brian, I didn’t take any offense to your observations. My statement of this new MM being a “great deal” was based on (1) the attractive size, features, and Larry’s overall good - though not perfect - experience with his Members Mark and (2) the availabilty of the option to add wood chunks using that tray - a first in this price range. I do agree with you that the jury is out. I want to see one in person, especially that tray. The few photos raise questions about how it is emptied/refilled. But I think @LMichaels is right about the “off the shelf” design reducing potential quality - and obsolescence - concerns.

I really think Weber could make a better pellet kettle than Recteq if they put their minds to it. An entry-level basic one and a cart-based fancy version that come in close to Recteq’s prices could be a winner in my view. They already have most of what is needed already engineered.
I wasn’t offended either, I merely felt that I needed to clarify my opinion. Which is very close to yours Jon, smart and interesting design. I had not considered Weber entering this sort of design phase (which they should, agreed!)
There are entry level grills and for the most part, an entry level unit is by definition something on will doubtless use for more than a few years. I agree that price points have become outrageous but, they are here to stay, gone are the days of a $10 bag of charcoal and a family sized grill for what “we”used to think of as reasonable. Which is the biggest reason “we” appreciate what we are willing to take the time and expense to properly maintain the older pieces which we have.
Wait,I’m the one who needs to stand in the corner most of the time!🤣

The thing that struck me the most about this new MM grill is the induction side burner. While they may be out there, I have not seen that before, a side burner on a pellet grill, and induction no less . We saw something on PBS about induction cooktops...the cooktop itself does not get hot. The chef took a frozen pan out of the freezer, put it on the cooktop, and within a minute or two was at searing temperature. It does not heat the kitchen, only the pan, so induction cooktops would be ideal for a commercial kitchen. The pan needs to be of a specific material, of course, because induction works via magnetism.

The thing that struck me the most about this new MM grill is the induction side burner. While they may be out there, I have not seen that before, a side burner on a pellet grill, and induction no less . We saw something on PBS about induction cooktops...the cooktop itself does not get hot. The chef took a frozen pan out of the freezer, put it on the cooktop, and within a minute or two was at searing temperature. It does not heat the kitchen, only the pan, so induction cooktops would be ideal for a commercial kitchen. The pan needs to be of a specific material, of course, because induction works via magnetism.
Yeah, at first I thought that was just a gimmick, but it is taking advantage that this is "plug in" grill. A lot nicer than gas flames being blown out by the wind.

Yeah, at first I thought that was just a gimmick, but it is taking advantage that this is "plug in" grill. A lot nicer than gas flames being blown out by the wind.
Does the addition of the induction burner draw more power? Many folks are running pellet grills from extension cords.

Does the addition of the induction burner draw more power? Many folks are running pellet grills from extension cords.
The induction burner is rated at 1400 watts so it's probably going to need a dedicated 15A circuit at a minimum. A 14AWG extension cord of 25 ft or less would probably be OK. My pressure washer draws about the same amperage and it's fine within those parameters.

The induction burner is rated at 1400 watts so it's probably going to need a dedicated 15A circuit at a minimum. A 14AWG extension cord of 25 ft or less would probably be OK. My pressure washer draws about the same amperage and it's fine within those parameters.
That I think may a problem for many, I know my outlet on my deck which is 15A is not a dedicated circuit. My house was built in 1996 maybe the code changed and the outside outlet is dedicated now. Now under my kitchen table kickout which juts out from the house below that the outside receptacle is on a 20A circuit not dedicated as when I had my basement done all circuits for receptacles I had them do 20A. I have a shop a small one and wanted to run my chop or table saw without issues like the wife vacuming while I was running my saws, 15A probably would have tripped the breaker.

Back