New Member's Mark

That I think may a problem for many, I know my outlet on my deck which is 15A is not a dedicated circuit. My house was built in 1996 maybe the code changed and the outside outlet is dedicated now. Now under my kitchen table kickout which juts out from the house below that the outside receptacle is on a 20A circuit not dedicated as when I had my basement done all circuits for receptacles I had them do 20A. I have a shop a small one and wanted to run my chop or table saw without issues like the wife vacuming while I was running my saws, 15A probably would have tripped the breaker.
Precisely what I was getting at. Plus, the induction cooking thing is perceived by many as weird and unconventional... perhaps not all it's cracked up to be for most folks.

I have 2 portable, stand alone induction cookers. I really like them. Great for accurate simmering and heat up time is super fast.
Understood...but many find induction weird. Truth be told, if it were that great, it would have taken off far more/better than it has thus far. No serious restaurants use it. Gas fire is what serious chefs cook with. Not my opinion. Just a fact.

I do believe the controller is a PID.
Larry I am curious how they described the controller for the first MM grill you bought probably don't remember or maybe you do. The description on this one says LCD controller with readouts. No clue whether that is PID or not kind of vague.

Understood...but many find induction weird. Truth be told, if it were that great, it would have taken off far more/better than it has thus far. No serious restaurants use it. Gas fire is what serious chefs cook with. Not my opinion. Just a fact.
I totally agree with you. But I believe it’s a unique cooktop that can be made very compact and very safe to operate. So it’s perfect for what it’s designed for, portability. If you go to any high end brunch venues the chefs are using these portable cooktops.

Larry I am curious how they described the controller for the first MM grill you bought probably don't remember or maybe you do. The description on this one says LCD controller with readouts. No clue whether that is PID or not kind of vague.
IDK if I recall but in the owner's manual it is described as PID. You can tell when it's not running on PID though. As when you put it on the "smoke" setting (P1, P2, P3) the temps will swing all over the place. Whereas if you set it to say 275 it will run rock steady +- 5 all day long (verified by ThermoWorks thermometer). Same with Big Z but, the controller is PID from 160 all the way to 500. As you can set it to 160 and it will run rock solid. Even in the MM manual it says when it's running on "smoke" it's on a time function. The Z grill mentions it runs PID from top to bottom temps

It can. I will be doing just that to my MM as this is the one I bought to bring it up to Bluetooth/WIFI standards. I will post once I get it done. It won't be for a bit though. Just too darn busy and cold

It can. I will be doing just that to my MM as this is the one I bought to bring it up to Bluetooth/WIFI standards. I will post once I get it done. It won't be for a bit though. Just too darn busy and cold
I'm wondering why the wifi Bluetooth controllers are so scarce while there's dozens of regular controllers available.

Jay, The one thing to me is that those pro chefs are cooking inside kitchens. Gas side burners can really struggle outside in windy conditions. That’s the one advantage I see this unusual offering could bring.

The funny thing is I can already see reviews saying the side burner does not work cause some or many don't know you need induction cookware. How many people have that lying around not many unless you have already have an induction cooktop in the kitchen. So figure another 40 bucks and up to get an induction skillet depending on the size.

The funny thing is I can already see reviews saying the side burner does not work cause some or many don't know you need induction cookware. How many people have that lying around not many unless you have already have an induction cooktop in the kitchen. So figure another 40 bucks and up to get an induction skillet depending on the size.
Induction cooktops will handle many pans and pots including most good stainless and cast iron. They also make an adapter plate that can be placed on the induction top so even aluminum pans can be used.

So, I just came across this. And check the price out! Cripes! If this was at a Home Depot or Lowes, what have you I could EASILY see it over $1k! https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...er-and-smoke-tray/P03030174?xid=plp_product_1
Interesting unit and the price is right.
  1. But how do you clean out the additional wood chips / chunks on this unit? I think the camp chef woodwind pro has a drawer where you can easily add and clean out the used chunks / ash. Maybe it's a patent issue.
  2. Any idea who makes these for sam's club?
Thanks

Todd

Most SS cookware is induction safe, I have a whole set of Calphalon SS, it is induction ready, on the bottom of each piece it has the induction spiral symbol.

1. But how do you clean out the additional wood chips / chunks on this unit? I think the camp chef woodwind pro has a drawer where you can easily add and clean out the used chunks / ash. Maybe it's a patent issue.
  2. Any idea who makes these for sam's club?
Thanks

Todd
I honestly don't know and even if I had it I likely would not use it. Once I learned how to actually "use" my pellet smokers properly I found no lack of smoke

That is the question I have as well. I am hoping there is some way. The manufacturer, I am guessing, had to do something different to try and get around whatever patent Camp Chef has on their slide in drawer. If you can't empty and refill except when cold, that would be disappointing.

And, Larry, I have really never had a complaint with the smoke from my Recteq or even less from my little Landmann pellet kettle. However, I have seen some incredible bark shown by people here from their SmokeFire grills which I attribute to the "open" concept. When I saw Jeremy Yoder's review of the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro with the slide in box, it seemed to me that Camp Chef found a way to get similar results while keeping a simpler and proven layout for the rest of the smoker.

Larry and others, what do you think about this?

I have seen that video Jon but I have to say I have no complaint about a lack of bark and or smoke. Over the weekend the bark on that pork shoulder was second to none, and smoke was incredible as well. Honestly even though I did it TX style (S&P only rub) it came out sweet like "pig candy".
But, perhaps some folks who treat a pellet grill like an EZ Bake oven or like "cheating" don't get results because they don't put in an effort for good meat prep, and good operation by simply "dialing a temp".
I get it, MAYBE if I learned a stick burner I MIGHT do better but quite honestly with what my grills turn out I see no reason for one.

I have seen that video Jon but I have to say I have no complaint about a lack of bark and or smoke. Over the weekend the bark on that pork shoulder was second to none, and smoke was incredible as well. Honestly even though I did it TX style (S&P only rub) it came out sweet like "pig candy".
But, perhaps some folks who treat a pellet grill like an EZ Bake oven or like "cheating" don't get results because they don't put in an effort for good meat prep, and good operation by simply "dialing a temp".
I get it, MAYBE if I learned a stick burner I MIGHT do better but quite honestly with what my grills turn out I see no reason for one.
In one breath you are saying you did a simple TX style salt and pepper rub and then saying perhaps some folks basically don’t put forth effort for good meat prep and just dial a temp?
What else are you doing in prep and temp adjustments to make your cooks better?

Back