New Member's Mark

I take it that pellet grills don't produce the same rich smoke you get from wood splits?
Honestly, for the average backyard cooker, a good pellet grill gives better consistency and pretty nice smoke flavor. There are not many people with the dedication and skill it takes to feed a stick burner for many hours. And not keeping a nice clean smoke on a stick burner produces a terrible smoke taste. So neither grill is for everyone. But it’s nice to have choices.

I take it that pellet grills don't produce the same rich smoke you get from wood splits?
Hogwash. I get outstanding smoke from both my units without resorting to tubes or any other BS. Gotta experiment with pellet makeup and brand, find what works well for you. I get good consistent smoke without dirty or bitter tastes.

ON SALE AGAIN!!!

Looks like Sam's may be pushing out the MM Pro Series pellet grill that @LMichaels bought and enjoys a lot. 50% price cut to $249!! (Probably making room for the recently released new model still at $499.)

This is the one that has been put on sale (I believe again on sale as I recall Larry getting a great deal last year):

MM Pro Series.jpg

Actually, I was referring to placing splits in the bottom of the WSM. I get much better smoke flavor with local wood than I do with store - bought chunks. I've heard comments about pellets not having the same richness of flavor like real smoke wood does.

ON SALE AGAIN!!!

Looks like Sam's may be pushing out the MM Pro Series pellet grill that @LMichaels bought and enjoys a lot. 50% price cut to $249!! (Probably making room for the recently released new model still at $499.)

This is the one that has been put on sale (I believe again on sale as I recall Larry getting a great deal last year):

View attachment 88070

I think the catch here is shipping at over $100 unless one has Sam's Plus...or whatever it's called.

ON SALE AGAIN!!!

View attachment 88070

Tough to knock a pellet grill for not much more than a premium kettle.

I think the catch here is shipping at over $100 unless one has Sam's Plus...or whatever it's called.
Yeah, I didn’t look into it enough to notice that. If I were buying, I would upgrade my membership. It would be worth it for this purchase alone plus other benefits you get.

Like @Dave says, it’s hard to beat a decent pellet grill at this price, and in addition to the Sam’s return policy, @Larry has shown that regularly available parts will interchange for replacement or even upgrade.

Yeah, I didn’t look into it enough to notice that. If I were buying, I would upgrade my membership. It would be worth it for this purchase alone plus other benefits you get.

Like @Dave says, it’s hard to beat a decent pellet grill at this price, and in addition to the Sam’s return policy, @Larry has shown that regularly available parts will interchange for replacement or even upgrade.
I get emails now and then for 1 month trials of Plus...not sure if it's Sam's or Walmart. I've read that you can get Sam's Plus pro rated based on membership time remaining too. So there's that.

Yeah, that's true. By this past December my upgrade fee would have been very small. I just never have because I go to Terre Haute enough to get most of what I want. I think the free shipping is definitely one of the key benefits, but I know there are others.

Main other benefits include 2% rebates on purchases and special pricing on pharmacy and prescription glasses. I “coincidentally” received a solicitation from Sam’s this afternoon; I wonder why😳?

Big Brother is watching you!

I never thought the Plus would be worth it......................Now? Would not be without it. Besides free shipping (imagine how much it would have cost to ship my Z Grill) but I get so much money back and other savings it more than pays for the Plus AND my Membership.

Actually, I was referring to placing splits in the bottom of the WSM. I get much better smoke flavor with local wood than I do with store - bought chunks. I've heard comments about pellets not having the same richness of flavor like real smoke wood does.
There is definitely no way for me or anyone to compare the smoke flavor you get with your local wood pieces used in your WSM.
All that really matters is you make it work for you. But many of the newer pellet grills have added the ability to use small wood splits/chunks. So there must be some pellet grill users who want more smoke options.

There is definitely no way for me or anyone to compare the smoke flavor you get with your local wood pieces used in your WSM.
All that really matters is you make it work for you. But many of the newer pellet grills have added the ability to use small wood splits/chunks. So there must be some pellet grill users who want more smoke options.
It is definitely a to each his own kind of thing. I hear what Larry says, but I also hear what Jeremy Yoder says about the new Camp Chef with the slide in tray being a "game changer." Maybe he has his own motives, but he is an experienced user of stick offset burners, so when he says the new Camp Chef delivers really close results to that, it is hard for me to not take notice.

Similarly, so many here have reported - and shown in pictures - some very compelling, similar results from their SmokeFire cooks. Again, it is hard for me to not take note and wonder if these seemingly way above average results are due to the SmokeFire's unique design.

Of course, it is again what you prefer. I suspect my wife would rather have pellet grilled food with no smoke boost at all vs. the very best an offset (or maybe one of the above pellet grills - or even other newer pellet grill models with "smoke boost") can produce. Not everyone wants a distinct, strong smoke flavor, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ON SALE AGAIN!!!

View attachment 88070

Well, looked long and hard. Neither grill was at my local Sam's Wednesday. Also only 2 of their 4 iirc available gas grills on display but plenty of griddles. Maybe they think those are the next big thing and using floor space for them? I hope not. IMO griddles are an OK but very singular in purpose. But, I don't think (at least I hope not) that the new 36" pellet grill is going to replace the Pro Series. As IMO the Pro Series is one REALLY fine product that if it had a name like Traeger, Weber or so on, on it people would be falling all over themselves to pay $800+ for

Hard to say what Sam’s might be planning. It would be great if you could see both of these pellet grills on the sales floor to compare construction. The very initial “unboxing” review of the new one seems to be as complementary as you are about your Pro Series. Might be they have two winners, both aggressively priced, although the current half price sale makes the Pro Series an unbelievable bargain.

Hard to say what Sam’s might be planning. It would be great if you could see both of these pellet grills on the sales floor to compare construction. The very initial “unboxing” review of the new one seems to be as complementary as you are about your Pro Series. Might be they have two winners, both aggressively priced, although the current half price sale makes the Pro Series an unbelievable bargain.
Yeah, definitely going to tell my SIL about it. A couple weeks ago he was at my house munching away on my smoked prime beef ribs I'd made for us. And he looked at me with all seriousness and said "this is what would convince me to buy one of these". And I have to say I totally agreed. As, I'd made those things MANY times on both the Genesis and the Wolf and never turned out product like that.
While he's not a Sam's member I am and if he wanted one I could order him one with free delivery.
Also, in looking at the new 36" I almost get the idea it's made by the same mfgr for Sam's as the Pro Series. If it is I am sure it's very well made.

Back