New Member's Mark

I keep stuff simple on the meat. S&P. I think all this seasoning, then wrapping and leaving it alone for 24 hours or what have you is too much and ruins the meat textures. So first off I keep the prep of the meat simple.
Pellet grills (at least my 2) make VERY nice smoke when kept in the "range". That being said in experimenting I notice (at least on my grills) "smoke" settings tend to vary a bit. On my MM when you put it to "smoke" it goes off PID, to timed mode. From there I can set P1, 2, or 3. Oddly with 3 running a bit hotter than 2 or 1. Seems backward to me. On that grill the lowest temp I can run on PID is 200. On big Z even if I run it on Super Smoke it's still running on PID at 160. The MM on "smoke" will sort of run all over the place depending on the setting but basically anywhere from 150-200.
While the grills produce smoke at those temps, I have noticed "smoke" is about all I get. I don't get much in the way of "cooking" action. I get more "drying" action. Also on the MM the smoke is not steady (due to how the controller is operating off PID). After doing a few cooks like that and not being happy with results from either grill so I stopped doing that.
I started watching and learning from some of those YouTube people who swear by their stick burners and how they do a butt or brisket. The ones I see that show that very nice bark, and good smoke. I noticed they all run their stick burners in 225-275 range. Some wrap some don't. The ones who don't wrap seem to show the really nice smoke and bark the best (IMO). So, I experimented with no meat and simply ran my grills in 225-235 range not in "smoke" settings. I noticed while smoke output was a little "lighter" it was VERY steady and "clean". IOW unlike running off of PID when I get huge clouds, then not so much, the the timer dumps more fuel and more clouds, I noticed that smoke was also "dirty" smoke. (the Z did not/does not do this it stays quite steady holding that low 160 like a rock).
Anyway now, I get the grill going. I don't use Super Smoke or Smoke setting, I get them "up to speed" setting either one 235 right off the bat. THEN I prep the meat while the grill is coming up. Score the fat cap (if you like), the binder then my S&P. ( I have become a huge fan if simply meat, smoke, S&P). Once I am done prepping the grill is usually "up to speed" or very close. I have also become a fan of using a drip pan but no liquid in it. I position meat on top rack (mid rack on MM), drip pan under it and let it go. When I hit the stall sometimes I will "push" my temp a little to 250-260. I don't wrap anymore. Until the rest period.
I also don't spritz or spray anything. Once that meat goes in I let the grill do the work. I simply monitor my temps and pellet supply. I have found that the grills run good clean, consistent smoke, and by not opening to spray or what have you, they don't have to go into a "recovery" mode of dumpling more fuel, running dirty and having the uneven temps.
Bottom line, I let the grill work for me the way I think it was designed to work.
Now I still use "smoke/super smoke" but on smaller cuts and for shorter times. So I.E., if I am doing say a cowboy ribeye. I run "smoke" setting 20 to 30 min. Then I crank them up to 400/425 to finish. I get beautiful "crust", perfect finished interior, and just the right smoke on it.
Yeah pellet grills ARE "simple" but they STILL have a learning curve. It takes time and patience, and yes perhaps some wasted fuel and or protein but I do get results
I am also still not convinced about so called "open flame" in re to smoke output. I think part of the Smoke Fire's good smoke profile (as well as Searwood's) and both my Z and MM are the chamber designs. Large(ish) oval ""oven" chamber with venting at back not a stack. Too many pellet grills are designed like "stick burner wannabes". I think the HUGE advantage of SF, Searwood, and my MM and Z are they're designed to take full advantage of pelletized fuel rather than trying to be a stick burner offset in disguise.

They apparently REALLY skimped on the controller though. Apparently no PID, no WIFI, and only 25 deg temp increments. Now have not seen anyone yet put up an actual test result doing some cooking on it. I guess they had to skimp somewhere if they were gonna be able to maintain same price point against the VERY well made Pro Series which I own.
So I wonder if a PID can be slipped in? Looks like overall same control panel in my Pro Series. And other than no WIFI that thing is "da bomb"

They apparently REALLY skimped on the controller though. Apparently no PID, no WIFI, and only 25 deg temp increments. Now have not seen anyone yet put up an actual test result doing some cooking on it. I guess they had to skimp somewhere if they were gonna be able to maintain same price point against the VERY well made Pro Series which I own.
So I wonder if a PID can be slipped in? Looks like overall same control panel in my Pro Series. And other than no WIFI that thing is "da bomb"
Same guy cooking with it.

I think that sidexside comparison shows the MM blowing the Traeger completely out of the water in every category that counts. The added bonus of the smoke box drawer is awesome. The double wall construction would seal the deal for me. Right now, I'm pleased with my Oakford 580. It's the right size for us. Pretty clear that the Traegers, Rec-Tecs and even Weber are going to have a tougher time gaining market share in the pellet grill sector.

Looks like it did a decent to nice job. Not a fan of all the spices as it masks the job the grill did/did not do. S&P and you get full realization of what the grill is actually doing

Whoaa!! Who's beating that beast at the $500 price point? I'd say nobody...probably at $1k price point too.

Here's a head to head comparison to a Traeger:

I don't trust this review. As the very same reviewer when comparing the MM to the Pit Boss indicated the MM did NOT have a PID. Also the very same reviewer who noted the brisket performance noted the unit did NOT have PID.
Now, I am not really sure how important PID is. But given the technology (or should I say "lack of") involved in a pellet grill, I do have to wonder if someone is mistaken in saying the MM does not have PID as IDK how else it could maintain such consistently accurate temps and low fuel use without using PID.
So on that point the jury is out. Would want to see more updated reviews. Also, re lack of fine adjustments on the temps. IDK how important that is on a pellet cooker. Heck, I have never gone out and said "oh I need to adjust my temp by 5 or 10. I've rarely ever made a less than 40 deg temp adjustment. So a +- 25 adj is likely a non issue for most of us

I don't trust this review. As the very same reviewer when comparing the MM to the Pit Boss indicated the MM did NOT have a PID. Also the very same reviewer who noted the brisket performance noted the unit did NOT have PID.
Now, I am not really sure how important PID is. But given the technology (or should I say "lack of") involved in a pellet grill, I do have to wonder if someone is mistaken in saying the MM does not have PID as IDK how else it could maintain such consistently accurate temps and low fuel use without using PID.
So on that point the jury is out. Would want to see more updated reviews. Also, re lack of fine adjustments on the temps. IDK how important that is on a pellet cooker. Heck, I have never gone out and said "oh I need to adjust my temp by 5 or 10. I've rarely ever made a less than 40 deg temp adjustment. So a +- 25 adj is likely a non issue for most of us
These YouTube links are getting mixed up I think. The comparison between the MM and Traeger was detailed and hit important points. The dude cooking brisket...I don't get it. Only point I saw was the MM didn't use much fuel for a 12 hour brisket cook, in which the brisket was not impressive.
The comparison video comes from a guy that worked in the pellet industry and his website has a fairly large database of grills, pellets and smokers.

Wow, it's a shame. Needs LOTS of TLC. First thing I would do is fully disassemble and do a deep clean. I would also pay particular attention to cleaning out the hopper, the auger and so on. Also pay close attention to the RTD probe. Once all cleaned out. I would not put any pellets in it. I would plug it in and turn it on. Observe if the the auger turns (it will show a little "screw" on the panel) and you will see it turn slowly. Then wait a short bit to see if the rod gets hot. If everything works and no errors run it through the shut down cycle (hold the temp button until shut down begins) and allow the cycle to run (approximately 10 minutes). If all that functions put a couple cups or so of pellets in and turn it back on at the "smoke" setting P2. Go through a coupe "prime" cycles by pushing the prime button. Prime should run about 90 seconds and shut and you can then activate again, until pellets begin dropping. If pellets drop and it begins to ignite, put the deflector back in (beware this model does not have a flame dispersion box above the fire pot). See if it ignites fully and begins smoking. If so you got a "winner". That little grill is a "tank" and from what I have seen of others. Best made unit out there

Tell ya Jon. Re, that grill. I'd be trying to flash a $50 bill in their face all day long. IDK about a full $100 but somewhere between my $50 and their ask. Cool thing on those is you can buy a whole hopper/auger/control assembly of really high quality and retrofit it to the body and have one helluva nice grill at a decent value as well

Tell ya Jon. Re, that grill. I'd be trying to flash a $50 bill in their face all day long. IDK about a full $100 but somewhere between my $50 and their ask. Cool thing on those is you can buy a whole hopper/auger/control assembly of really high quality and retrofit it to the body and have one helluva nice grill at a decent value as well
The sellers name is cause for concern

I think he is for real. He has what appears to be a legit profile. It looks like he does a lot of resales of items, and he says as much about this grill.
Yeah, I would say legit. IDK why a Member's Mark grill would be on an Amazon return pallet though. Unless it's a Coleman version which is how that product is sold in Canada. In any case if it could be had between $50 and say $80 it can make a nice smoker for you. It's a simple device, everything is pretty "generic", (I even tried an off the shelf RTD from Amazon in mine and it worked fine). Standard igniter rod, fan, auger parts and motor. Will even run fine off generic PID controllers. Not much to go wrong here.

Back