Napoleon vs Weber

Yah, the problem with enacting laws preventing the other side from enacting certain laws is that the other side can enact laws that overturn the laws preventing them from doing just that.

You call that good?!

Crazy world that live in now that they even have to pass laws like that. Slow them down for a bit is about all can hope for. When gas grills are outlawed then only outlaws will own gas grills :p

Don't get me wrong, I even have an Earth First bumper sticker on my truck

30984303744_65494e773f_b.jpg

Ralph, I think the law in MA has been around for many many years regarding the grills. I left in 1996 but I remember a long time ago that an apt or condo where several units were destroyed from I believe it was a gas grill being used on a balcony, The curtain from the balcony slider or whatever caught on fire when the person was grilling on the balcony. Could have been charcoal can't remember.
Yes, I don't remember the effective date, but I'm sure the MA code goes back a ways.
This all started when a new tenant (renter) asked about using a charcoal grill on their second-story balcony (no external stairs to ground). this didn't sound like a good idea at all, and sent us down the rabbit hole of fire codes. Some insurance regulations stipulate that grilling must be at least 25 feet from building, but we haven't found that to be our case...yet.

In-laws' patio is about eight inches above grade- I just use a six foot sheet of plywood to roll it onto the grass, then move it off to the side. Still trying to figure an easy way to attach larger casters, but it's not going to be an easy swap.

Ralph, I am not sure what model of grill that you have, but you could put 4 of the 8" wheels on it and that would allow it to roll on grass easily. You will have to lift one end to turn the grill, but it should make it a lot easier to roll it out into the yard.

Those working surprising well. The Admiral (2 star upper half) bought a house in SD that 4 of us retired Navy hunt pheasant out of in November. Someone picked up a Ronco at a yard sale for $25 and the prime rib turned out better than I thought it would with it. We even let a couple of retired AF pilots play with us. We don't rough it too bad in SD, might even say it is civilized.

15783612585_3fc11ec4d7_b.jpg

I don't mind taking the grates out when spinning meat on a stick on the gasser

31243270685_502ff3ae0e_b.jpg

You can see the smoke box to the left but it leaves a lot to be desired. I think Napoleon is onto something with their charcoal smoke tray and wish Weber would come up with something similar. It may even work on a Weber with grates removed and might get one to try with wood chunks and charcoal

91e7d88dfc9cc865c8c75944563cc87d.jpg

If I'm spinning a bird or 2 prefer the kettle by far

42174092591_160a0680f7_b.jpg

But even more so prefer the WSM with roti. The dripping juices on the hot coals take it to another level

37736285405_068a8199c0_b.jpg

4 hours later

26041686768_451ea9a22c_b.jpg
That Rotisserie Kit spinning on your Weber Charcoal Grill is one from "Cajun Bandit"?

Ralph, I am not sure what model of grill that you have, but you could put 4 of the 8" wheels on it and that would allow it to roll on grass easily. You will have to lift one end to turn the grill, but it should make it a lot easier to roll it out into the yard.
An older E-210 (full cabinet).
e210.JPG
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking if anyone knew what the hole pattern was for the casters (I'm going to have to tip the grill over to mount new ones). After thinking about it, I figured 4" casters would roll OK on the grass, but large casters means large mounting hole patterns.
Plus the mounting holes on the grill are on a "sub plate" spot welded to the underside of the base- I had an E-310 where rusty spot welds just collapsed through the base.
I'm thinking of either making an adapter plate or buying spindle mount casters with one big hole for each corner.
Not sure what way I'm going to go yet.

Ahhh, I was thinking you had a an older Genesis 1000 or Silver B style grill or even an E3xx. I had a possible solution for those, but that type of base is a tougher issue.

yet you're wrong. many cities have and are banning small gas engines. lawnmowers, leaf blowers, edge trimmers.

you can live under the rock. that doesn't bother me.

the trend is against fossil fuels. renewables are where its at, hate it or like it.

these are education links. not political banter.

and before you come back with a terse comment. save your time. i'd prefer you block me from seeing my posts.
Evidently wood and charcoal are in the crosshairs now:

Went into Ace Hardware to pick up a cooking grate I ordered for a 22 kettle I'm selling. While I was waiting, I saw a large display of Napoleon grills. Mostly thier 425 and 365 series. They seemed to be built pretty well, but not a fan of the curvy grates.
The 10 year bumper to bumper warranty was a big plus.
What I found strange is not one Weber to be found, not a good sign.
Ace is close to us vs. True Value and Ace used to carry a lot of Weber accessories like grates and such. Now you have to order what you want. Same with Wal Mart and Home Dumpo no Weber Parts in stock or very few.

Yah, but I think that is an issue with all grills. Aside from a few parts on relatively newer models, it just doesn't pay to stock the parts. The demand is too low. I think many, if not most grill buyers look at grills like they do ovens. Once you start needing to replace stuff, it is time to move on. That sounds like heresy on a forum like this, but most of us live in a different world. Just think of the average joe that realizes he needs new burners. You basically have to dismantle a grill to swap them out. Just like changing brakes on a car, that just won't happen with most owners. By the time the burners go out, likely they are using a match or grill lighter to start their grill, the flavorizer bars are caving in, the bottom of the grill is so full of gunk that you have long forgotten that you even have a drip tray on the grill and the cooking grates look more like aluminum GRILL GRATES due to being so gunked up. "Honey, I think it is time for a new grill, lets go to Home Depot this afternoon".
Believe me, I pick up a couple dozen old Webers each summer to rehab. Most of them definitely have life in them with just a simple cleaning and replacement of the internals, but people just are not into that or don't think it is possible.
Another thing is, buying genuine weber parts gets to a point that it doesn't make a lot of sense to fix up the old Genesis. Most grill owners just go with weber brand parts because they don't even know there are aftermarket sources or want to research which will fit his grill. It can cost well over $200 burners, economy enameled flavorizer bars and economy enameled steel grates at an ACE or Home Depot. So, people just move from the parts shelves to the new grills being displayed right behind them.

Yah, but I think that is an issue with all grills. Aside from a few parts on relatively newer models, it just doesn't pay to stock the parts. The demand is too low. I think many, if not most grill buyers look at grills like they do ovens. Once you start needing to replace stuff, it is time to move on. That sounds like heresy on a forum like this, but most of us live in a different world. Just think of the average joe that realizes he needs new burners. You basically have to dismantle a grill to swap them out. Just like changing brakes on a car, that just won't happen with most owners. By the time the burners go out, likely they are using a match or grill lighter to start their grill, the flavorizer bars are caving in, the bottom of the grill is so full of gunk that you have long forgotten that you even have a drip tray on the grill and the cooking grates look more like aluminum GRILL GRATES due to being so gunked up. "Honey, I think it is time for a new grill, lets go to Home Depot this afternoon".
Believe me, I pick up a couple dozen old Webers each summer to rehab. Most of them definitely have life in them with just a simple cleaning and replacement of the internals, but people just are not into that or don't think it is possible.
Another thing is, buying genuine weber parts gets to a point that it doesn't make a lot of sense to fix up the old Genesis. Most grill owners just go with weber brand parts because they don't even know there are aftermarket sources or want to research which will fit his grill. It can cost well over $200 burners, economy enameled flavorizer bars and economy enameled steel grates at an ACE or Home Depot. So, people just move from the parts shelves to the new grills being displayed right behind them.
I think you're spot on Bruce. In our throw away society it's much easier to replace than to fix something, espically when it's a hassle to even get the parts.

Back