Napoleon vs Weber

Yep, and sometimes it is funny to see what some people do to eeek out one more season from the old Webers. Aluminum foil wrapped around the burners in spots that are rotted out, flavorizer bars that are some times stacked due to massive corrosion or replaced with pieces of angle iron and then grates made out of whatever industrial material someone had laying around in the garage.

I think you're spot on Bruce. In our throw away society it's much easier to replace than to fix something, espically when it's a hassle to even get the parts.
And most manufacturers are making products more throw away ready.

And most manufacturers are making products more throw away ready.
Exactly, that is just them conforming to meet customer desires and demands. With what weber charges for their replacement parts, they could probably make a lot of money if there was a huge demand for them, but there really isn't because of the aftermarket supply and lack of customer desire to get their hands dirty. It makes sense for Weber to try to push customers into the "new replacement" grill mode rather than fix up mode.

Yah, can't argue with the simplicity and effectiveness of the basic coal burning kettle.

Yah, can't argue with the simplicity and effectiveness of the basic coal burning kettle.
Back in January, 2020 I went looking to purchase my first new gas grill and walked-out with a new Weber Performer Deluxe. Over the past years I have posted on this Forum of my wants for a gas grill but I still remain in the "looking stage". Last February I again went looking for a portable gas grill and walked-out with a new Weber Master Touch Grill to park my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie. Oh well; maybe a Weber Q may be in my BBQ Arsenal by the end of this year:rolleyes:

I guess in 100 years it might be easier to see what the effect of the rise of Chinese manufacturing capabilities had on the western world.

Our so called “throw away society”… literally

My prediction is that long before 100 years, you will see a new industry emerge. It will be Landfill Mining. Where they will start mining long ago discarded items and materials from filled up and sealed landfills all around the country.

Yah, but I think that is an issue with all grills. Aside from a few parts on relatively newer models, it just doesn't pay to stock the parts. The demand is too low. I think many, if not most grill buyers look at grills like they do ovens. Once you start needing to replace stuff, it is time to move on. That sounds like heresy on a forum like this, but most of us live in a different world. Just think of the average joe that realizes he needs new burners. You basically have to dismantle a grill to swap them out. Just like changing brakes on a car, that just won't happen with most owners. By the time the burners go out, likely they are using a match or grill lighter to start their grill, the flavorizer bars are caving in, the bottom of the grill is so full of gunk that you have long forgotten that you even have a drip tray on the grill and the cooking grates look more like aluminum GRILL GRATES due to being so gunked up. "Honey, I think it is time for a new grill, lets go to Home Depot this afternoon".
Believe me, I pick up a couple dozen old Webers each summer to rehab. Most of them definitely have life in them with just a simple cleaning and replacement of the internals, but people just are not into that or don't think it is possible.
Another thing is, buying genuine weber parts gets to a point that it doesn't make a lot of sense to fix up the old Genesis. Most grill owners just go with weber brand parts because they don't even know there are aftermarket sources or want to research which will fit his grill. It can cost well over $200 burners, economy enameled flavorizer bars and economy enameled steel grates at an ACE or Home Depot. So, people just move from the parts shelves to the new grills being displayed right behind them.
This is an incredibly accurate description of the situation. #IworkforWeber

Back