My second smoke on the 22" WSM, 2 Beer Can Ckn's, used leftovers for Soup! PIC HEAVY

Brandon Gurley

My second smoke on the 22" WSM, 2 Beer Can Ckn's, used leftovers for Soup! PIC HEAVY

So I did the ribs last weekend as my first smoke, thread is here.

I decided to do a few beer can chickens for my second smoke. I injected with chicken broth mixed with smoked pap, garlic powder, pepper, mustard and ground oregano. I used KBB and 3 chunks of apple wood for fuel.

Here they are ready to go, I put thyme and rosemary in the beer:

90 minutes in at 260F I was at 149F in the breast:

I pulled them just after 2 hours:

Plated the chicken with sweet pote fries and Kale, the ckn was very tasty:

My wife deboned and chopped the other chicken:

I peeled and chopped 5 cups of fresh tomatoes, then sautéed them with a chopped onion:

I then added a can of coconut milk, and added salt and pepper to taste. When it came to heat I used my hand blender and blended until soup was blended smooth and creamy:

After blending:

The end result was amazing! I will be doing this again in the winter. Soup was so meaty and smokey:

Thanks for looking!

Wow, that looks good!!

And that soup . AHHHHH.

Consider adding some curry powder to the soup in future versions.

good_to_great_image.jpg

Wow!
those birds look super-
Totally 2 hours @260F. Temp was at the lid or at the grate?
How was the skin? Crispy or not?
Anyhow color was great IMO-
Complimenti

Thank y'all for your kind words!!

Wow!
those birds look super-
Totally 2 hours @260F. Temp was at the lid or at the grate?
How was the skin? Crispy or not?
Anyhow color was great IMO-
Complimenti

The temp was at grate level with maverick 733. Skin wasn't crispy, but it wasn't soggy... If that makes sense.. Thanks!

Good lookin' meal!

So, you didn't try and raise the smoker temp above 275?

Some have complained, including me, that poultry meat has a rubbery texture unless it is smoked above 275 degrees.

Last edited:
Brandon looks like you nailed both cooks, smoked chicken soup sounds great for a nice wintery day.
If it ever cools down .

Good lookin' meal!

So, you didn't try and raise the smoker temp above 275?

Some have complained, including me, that poultry meat has a rubbery texture unless it is smoked above 275 degrees.

The chicken didn't seem rubbery to me, though I am no expert. Seemed like normal consistency. I have been grilling chicken on a gas grill for the last year, the consistency seemed the same.

Thank you all for the compliments, yes I'm loving my WSM!

Thinking about a butt for this weekend, depends on if my wife is sick of smoked meats, lol.

The chicken didn't seem rubbery to me, though I am no expert. Seemed like normal consistency. I have been grilling chicken on a gas grill for the last year, the consistency seemed the same.

Thank you all for the compliments, yes I'm loving my WSM!

Thinking about a butt for this weekend, depends on if my wife is sick of smoked meats, lol.

I like to do my chicken at 350+ but i have done chicken at 275 when i am doing chicken along side ribs and its come out fine. Lower then that can be a tricky. I think the "rubbery" issue is skin not meat. if you dont eat the skin you may not notice any rubberness (pretty sure that's not a real word but you get my point :) )

You can do best of both worlds and cook at 275 then give a quick hit on high heat at the end to crisp up skin.

Back