My first smoke on my new WSM 22" 5 Racks Ribs (Pics)

Brandon Gurley

Fired up my new WSM 22” Saturday. 3 Racks Baby’s on top rack and 2 Racks Sapres on bottom. I used Oakridge Dominator on a few and brown sugar with Aunt Cora’s seasoning on the others.
The new smoker ran hot, about 325 for the first three hours. I had all the dampers almost closed. I read that it would run hot the first few smokes.
I foiled after the first 3 hours and let it go about 1:45 in the foil, my temp at the top grate was 265 for the majority of this time. I then took the foil off let them go the last hour, temp jumped back up to around 300. I sauced them the last 20 min with the Shed BBQ sauce. Total cook time was 5 hours 45 Min. Let them rest about 35 min in foil pan before serving.

All in all they were delicious and I was very happy with the end result.

Kingsford Blue with Apple wood chunks:

Smoking away:

Grate temp showing 75 degrees hotter than the guage on WSM:

Spares on bottom before saucing:

Baby backs ready to come off:

All cut and ready for my guests:

Smoke ring on the Baby’s:

Thanks for looking!

Thanks guys! I was very pleased with the finished product. Seeing my family and wife's parents enjoy the ribs was satisfying. Even y 3 year old gobbled the down. Well worth the time it took.

they look great!. to get temp closer to lid temp put probe in the middle of grate (I did same thing) heat runs up the sides. smoke on!

Grate temp showing 75 degrees hotter than the guage on WSM:

I did my first smoke on a new to me 22 this weekend as well and found the same thing. my dome temp and my maverick were both checked for accuracy recently and are spot on but the dome temp was reading 50 degrees lower then the grate temp. my probe was not dead center on the grate but wasnt on the edge either It was in the zone covered by the water pan. My maverick probe and my dome therm on my 18 were always pretty close. I think the larger dome height difference in the 22 is the primary cause for the discrepancy.

As long as they are consistent: 200 at the dome is always 275 at the grate, 180 at the dome is always 250 at the grate, etc you can learn to do the math accordingly. There will likely be a curve.

Great looking ribs! You're going to enjoy using that WSM, I know that I enjoy mine!

Those rib pictures seriously made my mouth water. Excellent!!

Im trying to choose a WSM size. What made you choose the 22"? Do you often cook for large groups?

I did my first smoke on a new to me 22 this weekend as well and found the same thing. my dome temp and my maverick were both checked for accuracy recently and are spot on but the dome temp was reading 50 degrees lower then the grate temp. my probe was not dead center on the grate but wasnt on the edge either It was in the zone covered by the water pan. My maverick probe and my dome therm on my 18 were always pretty close. I think the larger dome height difference in the 22 is the primary cause for the discrepancy.

As long as they are consistent: 200 at the dome is always 275 at the grate, 180 at the dome is always 250 at the grate, etc you can learn to do the math accordingly. There will likely be a curve.

Yes my probe was on the side, that makes a lot of sense, thank you for the tips!!

Awesome ribs!

Brandon outstanding looking ribs love the last pic spot on.

Great looking ribs! You're going to enjoy using that WSM, I know that I enjoy mine!

Those rib pictures seriously made my mouth water. Excellent!!

Im trying to choose a WSM size. What made you choose the 22"? Do you often cook for large groups?

Ribs lookin' perfectly done.

Thanks guys!!

I chose the 22", mainly because from what I read everyone says go for the 22" if you can afford it.

Back