My first kitchen remodel

I think I would go with what she prefers.
Not necessarily as you both do a lot of work in there.

You could compromise: this is what we had done when we did ours
20170220_140814_zpsbpyxqh55.jpg

20170220_140854_zpsjafjs3oj.jpg

On top of the second block (light switch) is where the overhead cabinets are.

Last edited:
Yea pick the one that takes less grout, cause leaning over the lower cab's is a pain on the back!

Tim

You should be recording this whole process Chuck, much more interesting than HGTV. :p
OK, but no luaghing. It's going much slower than I thought, but the price remains right. Got all the tile off, got all the cabinet doors & drawers off (several drawers need serious work) - I don't know when I'm going to R&R the window, it's pretty much rained 47.99 hour of the last 48. I'm pretty much done with the rain, thank you.

Got the "desk" out, hope to build the cabinet after work this week

5DBF809A-3587-4376-8476-DA9EB558E908_zpsuiubaxzg.jpg

Nearly no more tile, boy did the tile back splash put up a fight, sheet rock took a toll

9E33D803-D7F2-47BD-87CF-86A84632B952_zpswdiwnwy8.jpg

I've managed to keep the dust down, the only problem is the cats love playing in the plastic and have tore it down a few times

85C8C33A-7B4B-4640-B610-22A2546A6DC1_zpsgfzgn5of.jpg

I'm hoping to be done St. Patrick's day, but that might prove to be a tall order

At least it looks like you've been able to keep the kitchen usable.
A few years back when my son in law remodeled theirs, to prepare for selling the house, he gutted it and it was totally out of commission for a few weeks.
Fridge was in the dining area, cooking on a hot plate, and dishes washed in the bathroom sink.
Lots of paper plates and plastic utensils were used.

At least it looks like you've been able to keep the kitchen usable.
A few years back when my son in law remodeled theirs, to prepare for selling the house, he gutted it and it was totally out of commission for a few weeks.
Fridge was in the dining area, cooking on a hot plate, and dishes washed in the bathroom sink.
Lots of paper plates and plastic utensils were used.

Been there done that! On my first one what a pain in the petunia. The other two we kept the kitchen functional especially the sink and range top.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bob Correll Do you have a big sledge hammer like those "experts" on Home & Garden? :p

Had to say, this made me chuckle. We watch a lot of HGTV and it drives me nuts, throwing sinks through glass sliding doors, toilets out second story windows. Most of the time no eye protection, gloves etc. Nice idea on the old cabinets Rich

it's only for the drama... bogus television... no one in their right mind would destroy something to tiny pieces only to clean it up "off camera"

At least it looks like you've been able to keep the kitchen usable
It's a real pain to do so, but it would be even more of a pain if I didn't LOL

As you might know, old kalifornia has been getting a tad bit of rain of rain, I have a 3-day window of no rain, so I left work early yesterday so that I could R&R the window. I got the old window out pretty quickly, unfortunately that's not because I have mad skills, it's because it was pretty much rotted out...

06E20397-FBEB-4F85-9A38-181B1560BF5D_zpsg9tkndo2.jpg

I'm going to tear out down to the ground tomorrow (hopefully I can stop at the ground, LOL) hopefully all back together by Friday as rain moves in Saturday, ugh

I buttoned it up (temporarily) last night around nine

3A593301-7EA4-4BC8-90C5-D4F4AAF9143B_zpsnaic6ptb.jpg

I'll work till noon today, and then back to the construction site, LOL

My helper

8D6C8B9B-5938-4CE3-B12F-8399C6DDDFCE_zpsn6awo2kv.jpg

UGH! When you said rain on Saturday I checked our forecast here and we get it Tuesday through Friday with really strong winds. Barb and I are sick of the rain also. Looks like you're moving right along.

Stucco jobs are a pain and I feel your pain.
Once you find water damage you can open up a whole wall.
Good luck!

Tim

Stucco jobs are a pain and I feel your pain. Once you find water damage you can open up a whole wall.
I was fortunate, the damage wasn't a whole lot more than shown. Maybe a foot more down. I still need the mesh paper to button up the outside, but I got the inside all buttoned up

104FBC74-9881-4DDA-85C8-27943F441C71_zpshznz06en.jpg

Today is the day we've been waiting for, the counter tops are being delivered and installed. Got the cabinets all prepped for the new tops, they will cut out the holes for the Range and Sink.

The cabinet is now level all the way across. Not sure what they were thinking when they made that "desk" there, it was useless

55383A1F-B82D-4B3C-B300-FD8D98878301_zpsi0b1l0mp.jpg

Looks funny without the sink & range

2EAF8FF1-6354-400B-992B-2A154817070B_zpsy6e7yaob.jpg

Back