My first kitchen remodel

First counter done

2E74FB03-BB19-49E8-8804-2C98C120F64B_zpscwtn7p31.jpg

The hard counter is under way as we speak

990BB083-B966-4076-9071-32FEABFF48D5_zpsvazkpbam.jpg

The bride is quite happy

Really like your counters Chuck. That's along the lines of what we're looking at. Not too "busy" as some I've seen. I had to put a new door sill on our front door. Did quite a bit of damage to our stucco when I removed the old one that had been damaged in a break in. I purchased a bucket of stucco patch at Home Depot that worked quite well. You have more square footage to repair than I did so that route might be cost prohibitive for you.

Didn't get a lot done this past weekend, still shopping for backsplash. I got all the florescent lamps tore out and framed in the support for the LED brackets. I actually got one installed above the sink, it's amazing how much light these guys throw down. The brackets were $14 each and the light & trim were $14 each. I'm going to put in about a dozen give or take a couple. The kitchen will be so bright you'll have to wear shades

E5059C85-1DF7-478D-BC62-7DF91BCB15CD_zpspfhyukmk.jpg

I'm so glad I talked my bride into tearing out the florescent lamps. They were all buzzing and were going to need ballasts or entire assemblies anyway. I hate florescent lamps in the house, almost as much as I hate tile counter tops. I think I'm going to miss my target completion date, St. Patrick's Day. At this point, I'm hoping for March 31st

I've done my main kitchen twice. The older stuff is handed down to me in my basement kitchen (brew room). Go back to page 3 (Len's back splash pictures): I noticed the grout is dried out and chipping off. The last time I installed a back splash I used caulk instead. It doesn't chip out and is easily replaced (if needed). Using caulk, especially near the sink, also protects the wall behind the tile from water damage.

I've done my main kitchen twice. The older stuff is handed down to me in my basement kitchen (brew room). Go back to page 3 (Len's back splash pictures): I noticed the grout is dried out and chipping off. The last time I installed a back splash I used caulk instead. It doesn't chip out and is easily replaced (if needed). Using caulk, especially near the sink, also protects the wall behind the tile from water damage.

Wasn't meant to showcase another fixit job that needs to be done (but thanks for pointing it out ;) ; rather, the contrast with the glass squares and tiles. Expert installers should know better than the homeowner in any case (but not always do they do it the right way: rather, the easy way).

I didn't mean to point it out either, but since the OP hadn't reached that point (yet) I thought (maybe) I should contribute my experience in the matter. We, too, added a "line" of glass tiles across our back splash.

The last time I installed a back splash I used caulk instead. It doesn't chip out and is easily replaced (if needed). Using caulk, especially near the sink, also protects the wall behind the tile from water damage.
That's good info Bill, thanks!

I didn't mean to point it out either, but since the OP hadn't reached that point (yet) I thought (maybe) I should contribute my experience in the matter. We, too, added a "line" of glass tiles across our back splash.
We are now "strongly" considering "subway tile." We're just trying to find the right shade of grey

I dunno Len's tile job looks good to me :cool:, except for the grout line where it meets the counter-top.
You should caulk that because the tile on the wall won't move, but the base cabinets will.
Use a good silicone caulk like OSI or Dap, not the cheap crap like Red Devil.
But it also depends on the grout color and the thickness of the grout line.

Tim

Last edited:
I dunno Len's tile job looks good to me :cool:, except for the grout line where it meets the counter-top.
You should caulk that because the tile on the wall won't move, but the base cabinets will.
Use a good silicone caulk like OSI or Dap, not the cheap crap like Red Devil.
But it also depends on the grout color and the thickness of the grout line. Tim
If I got paid a nickel for every backsplash option I've looked at (aka da wife shown me) I could have hired the most expensive contractor quote I received. The remodel has been moving along fairly well, but this backsplash is going to be the death of me

Counters are looking great, nice job with the stucco. I'm also interested in your LED lighting. Dimmable?

Back