My first kitchen remodel

'm also interested in your LED lighting. Dimmable?
Hi Clint, they are dimmable. The lights (trim) are $14ea as is the brackets for a total of $28 per light. I bought a dozen, pretty much all of them are dimmable, even the ones that are cheaper than the ones I installed

Links to the light (trim) and brackets I used

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-New-Construction-Housing-HBR2000BA/202060568
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DLR-Seri...Trim-Kit-91-CRI-DLR4-3006-120-4K-WH/300494890

I'm not an electrician so hit a few bumps along the way. But I got through it (thank you you tube) All the lights are in and sheetrock is up

2A18C482-22C5-4CC7-BC64-090D405F38D8_zpsggweopav.jpg

Here's where I had my problems. LOL

6547A7AF-38F9-4853-9F06-9458A6B841A9_zpsbtly1kja.jpg

That's some serious lighting you have there. We already had can lighting and when I change out the 85 watt bulbs with LEDs I had to put a dimmer in as the LEDs put out a lot more light than the 85s and of course no heat which with our west facing kitchen was a plus.
Looks like you're moving right along.

Good choice on those LED's ( we have Philips ) Since changing over we save an average of 20% per month according to our smart meter.
We also added My Hue which makes it easy to dim or change color with wireless switches ( I didn't have to change out my rockers) and Google Home which gives you voice commands.
Two of my Sons have electrical savy, ones a union sparky and the other is an energy engineer and they did this for us for X-mas.

Tim

I think a year or so back Chuck was absent from here for awhile, due to his job maybe?
Hopefully something similar has happened.

Every once in a while Chuck drops off the grid. Couple of years ago he was out of touch for a few months. I believe that one was job related.

Last edited:
I bet he's been busy - either that or PO'd & frustrated, but I bet his wife has kept him in line.
All of the above, all of the above. I finished the kitchen, it kicked my butt. I think the tiles were the worst. I'm very happy with the results, I just finished the under cabinet lights. And yes, they dim :)

5C4F6550-2453-4C22-954B-4B937DD7E89B_zpscwptwero.jpg

My advice to anyone doing their own kitchen remodel.....You might want to rethink that...

LOL! AND I don't remember seeing the outdoor stucco job. Did I miss it?
The stucco and the tiles were simply awful. Never again. Still haven't painted, but it's all in now. Still not sure if I'm skippy with the texturing, but I'm pretty burned out with the whole deal

5F24C3FB-66BE-4FBF-82A9-DA17275EF557_zpsuh6wlsk4.jpg

Looks spectacular, Chuck. Really nice.

Any details you can share on the cabinets? We have very similar ones and I'm not a fan. But a full kitchen remodel is absolutely not in the cards. We recently replaced the dishwasher, and will likely do the fridge soon - might as well throw a new oven in as well. Counters are only about 8 or 9 years old and I'm OK w/ them. All our flooring on the first floor was recently replaced after a pipe broke in our master bath upstairs, so that's covered. "New" cabinets would give us a brand new looking kitchen.

Very nice Chuck, great design and execution. I've done a couple and I know your sense of relief that the project is over. It truly is a butt buster to do.

Any details you can share on the cabinets?
The paint is from Kelly Moore and it's an interior "flat enamel" (I scratched my head on that one too) that resists water spots. It does not lay down well with a brush (IMHO) There's a guy a few houses down that paints for a living, so he sprayed the cabinets. I really like it, you can see the grain of the cabinets. He said he charges $1K minimum to paint kitchen cabinets, I helped in put in laminate flooring in his house, which I had done in mine the previous year. He spent two days painting the kitchen, and I spent two days helping him with his flooring, so it worked out well for both. The biggest take away is that brush painting the cabinets is not as good as spraying (IMHO)

Here's a night photo of the cabinet lights on dim. I impressed myself doing the electrical. I only got shocked about a dozen times and tripped the breaker about the same, LOL

7B8CA4F7-8E3F-459A-906C-889F1AA64D34_zpsrzduyd6a.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. Now as I look back on the project, there is a hint of fondness. But during the job, I cursed myself daily if not moment by moment :)

Great project! Thanks for sharing Chuck. Your new kitchen looks really perfect. Funny thread with all comments:)

Back