My First Baguettes and some Prime for #3

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So #3 Son is leaving back for his job to Belize for a few weeks and made a request for London Broil. I did him one better and picked up a Oyster Cut Prime London Broil from my Butcher.
Also starting last night I made a Poolish for making today's Baguettes, my first. Final proof for an hour

DSC03394_zps09ygg18o.jpg

Came out pretty good for my first time with 75% Hydration Dough, a little tricky to work into this shape

DSC03403_zpskemzbt5j.jpg

DSC03407_zpsz8sda1kh.jpg

Got hungry again looking at this photo. The half of the Oyster cut I'm doing tonight. the peppers and ****ake's along with the onions that I am doing in the CI

DSC03399_zpsmdjdkl0r.jpg

Garlic sliced in big pieces and EVOO

DSC03401_zpsmmdb8ix4.jpg

Kosher and fresh ground only on the meat, covered with EVOO just before the cook. Coming to room temp

DSC03400_zps8arp27dl.jpg

CI on first for about twenty minutes tossed frequently, the meat on indirect and then on for a quick sear all around

DSC03410_zps4z4knaqy.jpg

The sear brought it a little past where I wanted it but no matter, it was good

DSC03412_zps8szmpygh.jpg

The Brunello Wine I made with my BIL in 2013. Starting to get that really good mellowness now.

DSC03411_zpsr067lbea.jpg

Tonights plate with some store bought Cole Slaw. #3 and the CEO were very happy

DSC03416_zps0j0lcims.jpg

Have a great night

Hell, I'd be happy too. Great looking baguettes. That crust is outstanding. That is also one gorgeous prime London Broil. Wonderful meal for a sendoff.

Looks wonderful. In regards to your 'shrooms, isn't the word blocker aspect reeedicklias?$#@$ LOL.

Fantastic cook Bill. The plated picture screams yummy.

Last edited:
Bill, Plate looks excellent and the baguettes look great too. What got my attention is the wine though. I had a friend that owned a small winery in Temecula California called Santa Margarita winery and I used to help him for a few days during the crush.
He only did about 200 cases of reds only. He had a following of folks all along the West Coast and he didn't ship his wine. It was amazing that people would drive down from Oregon, Washington State, Northern California to buy his wine when it was ready.
He would sell out within in 48 hours.
I remember those long14 hour days of crush and getting the fermenting going, cleaning every thing to a spotless shine as some of the hardest I've ever worked.
My reward was a case of his finest red, worth every minuet of those long days.
He is long gone now and so is the winery, really a shame.

Bill, There are no words for that meal but FANTASTIC. That is one awesome send off for sure. Like Rich said the wine got our attention. Looks quick interesting and I'm sure it's getting that nice mellowness after 3 years. There is nothing better then an excellent glass of wine to finish the meal off. Again Bill, fantastic job and a safe trip for your son.

Bill, Plate looks excellent and the baguettes look great too. What got my attention is the wine though. I had a friend that owned a small winery in Temecula California called Santa Margarita winery and I used to help him for a few days during the crush.
He only did about 200 cases of reds only. He had a following of folks all along the West Coast and he didn't ship his wine. It was amazing that people would drive down from Oregon, Washington State, Northern California to buy his wine when it was ready.
He would sell out within in 48 hours.
I remember those long14 hour days of crush and getting the fermenting going, cleaning every thing to a spotless shine as some of the hardest I've ever worked.
My reward was a case of his finest red, worth every minuet of those long days.
He is long gone now and so is the winery, really a shame.

It is a lot of work my friend, but I have four cases and it is worth every drop!

Bill, for the baguettes did you just proof in a linen pulled up to separate, then bake free standing?

Bill, for the baguettes did you just proof in a linen pulled up to separate, then bake free standing?

Yes Sean, proofed in the linen then backed on the baguette holder you see on the counter holding the bread. Steam added tot he oven when they were put in using a CI pan on the bottom

Wow, great looking meal! Wish I had more time to make some bread. Timing just hasn't worked out.

Awesome looking meal. Did not know you were a winemaker as well. Another hobby we have in common.

Baguettes look pretty nice from here - especially for a first attempt.

I'm wondering what an Oyster Cut is & where's the horseradish? Enough nit-pickin' and it's only 'cause I wish I could make a bread stick like that! Seriously Bill - top shelf!

Back