Merry Christmas - We're Moving To Xenforo!

Looking forward to the changes.
Thank You Chris for all that you do for the Forum as well as us members.

Jeff

Yah, maybe I should take a look at the Announcements and News section every so often.

I also have this nagging feeling about what happens if Imgur goes the same direction as Photobucket. At least this way, we control our own destiny re: photos linked into posts.

I guess I am like Han Solo, because the other night while I was tediously replacing broken links from my pictures originally hosted by the defunct "TinyPic" I kept thinking, "I have a bad feeling about this!" Who is to say how long Imgur will provide this free platform? It is hard to see how it is worth it to them any more than it was to Photobucket or their failed cousin that I unfortunately used, TinyPic.com.

I am sure almost all of us are going to enjoy this upcoming upgrade. Keeping our own pictures under our site's control will be a very big plus. The other changes sound really positive as well.

Keep us informed on how we can contribute. I still would love to see you have a SmokeFire. I think your reviews would be a needed balance and compliment to what we have seen from Baby Back Maniac and a few others.

Jon,
I think Imgur gets some good money off advertising and I would be willing to bet that if you read the fine print on their disclosure, you are probably giving them permission to use any of your photos as they see fit.

That's probably true, but in its last days I don't see how TinyPic could possibly have bombed you with any more advertisements and they still folded. This will definitely be a HUGE improvement. I guess I will hold off redoing my tagged grill restores until we change over.

Well, I know there is one list member who will be over joyed at the change over..............Larry.
t0sG1c6.jpg

That's probably true, but in its last days I don't see how TinyPic could possibly have bombed you with any more advertisements and they still folded. This will definitely be a HUGE improvement. I guess I will hold off redoing my tagged grill restores until we change over.

Jon, advertising on site pages is an additional factor. Bruce is referring to the rights to your images. I would expect the hosting sites to have a requirement to give over right of publication and right of sale, as well as agreements with stock photo bureaus. A single image that generates royalties would be worth more than the click-through & display values. This may not matter to you, this is why I won't host images anywhere but on my own server. I've already been burned by photo theft.

Good information. I guess I have always figured that any pictures I post are up for grabs in the semi-public domain. My other hobby is restoring old Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea toys made by Remco back in the 1960's. I have to admit I was a little surprised to see some of my eBay pictures show up on a toy collector website, but even then didn't really care. I was happy to share.

I see what you are saying, though, that someone who is a professional photographer or otherwise doesn't want their images shared or used by others for profit need to go a more secure route.

Good information. I guess I have always figured that any pictures I post are up for grabs in the semi-public domain. My other hobby is restoring old Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea toys made by Remco back in the 1960's. I have to admit I was a little surprised to see some of my eBay pictures show up on a toy collector website, but even then didn't really care. I was happy to share.

I see what you are saying, though, that someone who is a professional photographer or otherwise doesn't want their images shared or used by others for profit need to go a more secure route.

A pro won't let their photos anywhere near a publicly visible website, at least not without being watermarked and thumbnailed. As long as you grok that posting your images on a server that you have no control over means you have no control, you're ahead of the game. And even with a server that you control completely..... that's only a stopgap at best.

I've seen some of my project pictures appear on various other websites. It didn't upset me but I was quite surprised and now I limit what I put on the forum to basically cooks.

I've settled on the hosting service. I have confirmed that there is a supported add-on that redirects existing vBulletin links to new Xenforo links, so we don't end up with broken page links. I will be purchasing the software license and first year of hosting this week and start working with the host to get a test installation and migration up and running.

Thanks Chris:
Very awesome. Are there any projections on when the switch over is expected to happen?

Chris,
Please post your beer fund PayPal link again, I'm sure a few cold ones will be in order until the dust settles.

Back