Mavrick 732 return?

M Halle

TVWBB Member
My wife ordered me a 732 for Christmas to go along with my new wsm without knowing about the new 733. All I really see different is a slightly larger screen and different probes. should I send the 732 back and pay for the newer one... our just keep that one and be happy?

My first question is "how do you know that she ordered the 732"...it's not Christmas time yet. Sorry I don't know much about the difference or even price difference between the 732 and the 733. I do have a 732 and I'm happy with it.

So does anyone have an opinion on wether it's worth the hassle of returning the 732 to Amazon or should I just keep it?

I just ordered a 732.
I saw the new one but figured it worked for everyone all this years it should work for me. Plus I'm a cheap. :)

I looked at both and decided to go with the 732, seems like at least from what I’ve read that some of these Mavericks come equipped with thier own little gremlins and I know what to expect with the 732. The 733 is new and hasn’t been out too long so I’ll let somebody else find out if it’s good or bad. Also the 732 will do all I need it to do.

I just ordered a 732.
I saw the new one but figured it worked for everyone all this years it should work for me. Plus I'm a cheap. :)

Ditto the CHEAP part but this model works real good watch the factory battery's they can cause trouble other than that good to go.

Last edited:
Did I read that correct? You only 4 to 5 smokes from a set of batteries in the ET-732? Why does it use so much power?

It transmits to a wireless base unit. If your doing 4 or 5 butt smokes thats a minimum of 40-50 hours of on "run" time while its transmitting wirelessly to the base unit. That would be my guess as to why the batteries only last 4 or 5 smokes.

Has anyone noticed the "On/Off" button on the 732 receiver is finicky? Gotta press it just right to turn on & off.
Sometimes only a fingernail will make it happen.
BTW - I checked calibration with boiling water. Both probes were "Bang On" accurate! :)

My on/off on the receiver is VERY finicky! At first it was great, but after a year or so the membrane key has become hard to work with. ON the other hand, I have three of them, so I have a spare! :)

Regarding batteries. Some time ago, I upgraded all of my AA and AAA batteries to Sanyo eneloop batteries. You can recharge them 1500 times (yes, that is 1500 times) and they hold a charge for three years. No more trying to use something to find that the batteries are dead.

I have been using them in all of my electronic devices - I am a photographer so having a flash that is always ready to go is important. I even use them in my toothbrush!

They cost more "up front" but long term they are a real bargain plus saving a LOT of frustration using regular batteries... I bought mine off Amazon. Use the web site's link to allow this web site to get credit, please.

FWIW,

Keep on smokin',

Dale53:wsm:

I was just commenting the other day how impressed I am with the battery efficiency of my 732. This was my first year with the WSM and used the maverick for every cook. I did 6 butt cooks that I can think of, along with countless babyback and chicken cooks all on the same set of no name batteries the unit came with. I actually just replaced them the other day just as a precaution so the don't die on me mid cook. Just a ballpark guess, but I think i probably got 100 hours out of my original batteries.

I've considered going the rechargeable route, but I don't feel I would use them enough to justify the initial cost. I typically stock up at menards on black friday, for instance, this year their BF deal was 30 packs of AA or AAA for 5.99 less $4 with mail in rebate. So thats 30 batteries for 1.99... pretty tuff deal to beat, for my needs anyway. For those with kids with lots of battery powered toys, or as Robert stated, those with photography equipment, the rechargeables are definitely the way to go...

As to the OP, I would recommend keeping the 732 and enjoy it. It has served me and countless pitmasters much more skilled than I, just fine for a long time. I ended up ordering an extra for when I run my WSM and my mini at the same. So perhaps down the road you may see yourself needing a spare, you can give the 733 a try then and you'll be able to tell them apart.

Back