Lowes kbb sale

Brian_D

TVWBB Pro
I know we're all holding out for the labor day charcoal sales (hopefully they come through this time). l got a local Lowes ad dated 8/27 - 9/9 showing kbb 2 packs for $16.99. Ymmv.
They also have 16# Ridge charcoal for $4.98 a bag. Never heard of them - anyone tried it?

I know we're all holding out for the labor day charcoal sales (hopefully they come through this time). l got a local Lowes ad dated 8/27 - 9/9 showing kbb 2 packs for $16.99. Ymmv.
They also have 16# Ridge charcoal for $4.98 a bag. Never heard of them - anyone tried it?
I believe Ridge is made by Royal Oak, as well as Embers. HD has Embers 20lb twin bags for 9.98. That’s what I’ll be loading up on.
62CD0CC3-42BB-42CC-ADAE-BB72D4BD3E28.png

I don't want to dissuade anyone from buying what they want, but if the Ridges are indeed the same as the Embers (and I think they are), they just are not that great. Hard to light, hard to keep going, lot's of ash.

They are cheap though, which is why I bought a bunch a couple years ago. :)

EDIT: This is just pure speculation, but during the Memorial Day sale at Lowes, my local Lowes marked the KBB 2-bag bundle down to $14 and change at the register. I wonder if we might see that again for Labor Day.

The Ridge charcoal is the same Royal Oak that Lowes had prior to this year. It's just been re-branded. While I don't care for it for high heat grilling, it works just fine in the WSM. I'll be buying a few bags when I go to Lowes next Fri, and 5/6 KBB twin packs to make it though until the Memorial Day sale next year.

Does HD have KBB on sale? No of course not.

At those prices, I'll hope that Costco does as they did on Memorial Day with the double packs of K-pro for the same price. I'm really happy with that charcoal, but am down to my last bag.

I was in Costco yesterday and K-Pro was regular price, I did notice they had a couple pallets of it up high in the rafters, so maybe it will go on sale next week.

I can't remember the last time I paid anywhere close to retail for Charcoal. 2020 just keeps bringing the bad news. I'm down to my last few bags of Weber charcoal that I got for $3 a bag.

Being an optimist, maybe they'll have better sale prices this week.
Seems to me the best prices always come the week nearest the holiday.
Walmart might have some on sale this week too.

Backyard cookouts drop way off after Labor Day. I would think they would try to move some stock after that. Gotta make room for the Snow Blowers.

Andrew, if you have not use Embers before, might I suggest that you just get one bag to try it out before you stock up. I stocked up and ended up hating it. Bad flavor and generates lots of ash.
Same for me except I only bought a twin pack.
Still have 1.5 bags left, and I'm too nice to give it to anyone I like.

Andrew, if you have not use Embers before, might I suggest that you just get one bag to try it out before you stock up. I stocked up and ended up hating it. Bad flavor and generates lots of ash.

thanks for the heads up! I’m actually using it right now for a pork shoulder cook. I’m about four hours in so far and it has been pretty stable temperature-wise. I haven’t detected any unpleasant smells from this cook or the burger/sausage cook last week. It seemed to smoke a bit more than KBB in the chimney.

Taste test will be the final verdict.

Don't forget to check your local Target stores for clearance Weber items. The ones near me don't usually have much charcoal, but things like grates, starter cubes, chimneys, etc.... are always nice deals this time of the year.

Glad I got my stash built up with Weber charcoal this spring. The more I use it the more I like it. Although to be honest I've used the embers and it does produce more ash other than that it's just fine, especially for the WSM.

Back