looking for suggestions for leftover roast and / or smoked chicken

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Over the summer I've collected 4-5 lbs of roast chicken or smoked that I've frozen.

Today I went through the freezer and realized I've got a lot, and I'm looking for some new ideas to make with it

Looking for suggestions, ideas, recipes...

tnx

🍺

Enchiladas, chicken pot pie, tacos, burritos, chicken salad sandwiches.....sky's the limit, Dan!

R

Chicken noodle soup, shredded Mexican chicken for taquitos or Biria chicken tacos, deconstructed chicken pot pie over egg noodles, chicken fried rice, or chicken calzones.

keep the suggestions coming!

King Ranch Chicken casserole looks like one I'll have to try. similar to Viva La Turkey but different enough it will be "new"

I might give chicken pot pies another go.

I need to find a good taquitos recipe too.

Smoked chicken can make some awesome BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches. I can't find the recipe now but I got it from ATK. After smoking the chicken you pull it putting the smaller and uglier bits in a pile that you chop pretty fine. Then all the chicken gets tossed into a sauce and cooks down a bit. The finely chopped chicken helps hold the sandwich together. They're better the second day.

Smoked chicken is also great for nachos.

I've been making a chicken noodle casserole that the roasted chicken would probably work in. The recipe calls for poaching the chicken in the sauce but I think you could use already cooked chicken. This is another ATK recipe. I've been adding carrots to the recipe and raising the flavor profile with thyme and/or tarragon.

keep the suggestions coming!

King Ranch Chicken casserole looks like one I'll have to try. similar to Viva La Turkey but different enough it will be "new"

I might give chicken pot pies another go.

I need to find a good taquitos recipe too.
Shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, heat to your liking, I’d do chili de arbol ground up or jalapeños, a small amount of chicken stock and simmer. Warm corn tortillas and place the warmed ones in a ziplock bag and they’ll sweat. Roll chicken mixture into tortillas and shallow fry and then drain on paper towel.

They freeze well for reheat in the oven. I like to dip them in crema that’s mixed with salsa. Enjoy as you wish.

Chicken Enchiladas (I'm Canadian, but my dear I miss my enchiladas from our trips to Mexico!!!), and a good ol' chicken sandwhich!! Chop that chicken up with chopped celery and onion, a bunch of mayo, and a great bread! Oh yeah...a lot of black pepper on top!!

Alternatively...buffalo chicken cheesy dip!!

Use in fried rice,
Mix with yoghurt or mayo and put on a roll
Put in a salad or soup or stew
Any form of stir fry
Use it to make chicken tikka masala. The smoky flavour woul work real well here.
Eat as a snack, with an ice cold beer (OK it is 40 plus degree centigrade while I am writing this)

For small amounts, hash. Dice up some onion, start it sweating, add cubed or grated potatoes, season, when things start to brown up, add the protein and let it crisp up. Works for practically any protein. Oh, and serve with a couple of over easy eggs.

Back