Looking for a new gas grill.

Yes the grill and the cart are two different units. And the cart itself can be taken apart as well. Download the installation manual from the Weber site and in reverse you can take it apart. This grill should easily fit in a car unless we are talking about a Smart Fortwo or a Toyota iQ.

Arun, you lost a good buy by being too indecisive. Time to s^&t or get off the pot my friend LOL. You have been given much excellent advice. Time to put it into play.

If that thing is still available after two months, I would offer $60 or $70. If he accepts, go pick it up and on the way home, pick up some corn on the cob and a couple Ribeyes and enjoy your new Weber.

If that thing is still available after two months, I would offer $60 or $70. If he accepts, go pick it up and on the way home, pick up some corn on the cob and a couple Ribeyes and enjoy your new Weber.

No reason for anyone to bother. Because that one was close to me I asked and it has been sold. Who knows for how long. The seller responded almost instantly when I asked about it. Perhaps if enough others ask it will encourage them to change the add to sold, or remove it.

Last edited:
Arun, you lost a good buy by being too indecisive. Time to s^&t or get off the pot my friend LOL. You have been given much excellent advice. Time to put it into play.

The link was posted on 9:28AM.

I checked the thread and saw the link at around noon.

I called around that time.

It was already sold.

I don't think I could have gone any faster.

There's a few Ace hardware stores that say they have the Q3200 in store, that will be along the route when I go to Woodland later this month. I'll call them to confirm what it indicates online.

I'll check it out then, in person.

So my options are:

* A new or barely used Q3200, after seeing one in person.

* A Special Edition Genesis II E-310.

* A restored one from JasonInCA, once it is available.

I'm ok getting something in January or February, so things will become clearer after I see the Q3200 in person.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Q3xxx for you Arun I own one (shout out to Bruce) and just LOVE the thing. Outstanding performance as a grilling machine. Understand on things like a new style Genesis or a Q grill forget about doing rotisserie cooking (though from your descriptions) doesn't seem like you're into that type of thing anyway. Honestly hands down from what you're looking at and for your purposes the Q3xxx should be number 1 with a bullet on your list

Can you talk about the quality of the parts on the Q3200, and how it compares to other grills that may look like it? Since you have one.

I have a Q320 not a 3200. Sightly different animal but only slightly. Quality is top notch all the way around. Only better thing I could ask for is cast stainless grate. But I think I shall soon have that as there is one sold on Amazon and I am planning on buying it.

I have a Q320 not a 3200. Sightly different animal but only slightly. Quality is top notch all the way around. Only better thing I could ask for is cast stainless grate. But I think I shall soon have that as there is one sold on Amazon and I am planning on buying it.

Thanks.

Can you also link to which grate you're buying?

I didn't realize they had gotten so pricey. Oh well may rethink them. With careful use and seasoning the CI versions can last 5 to 10 years. Also it appears they're not cast ss but made from a laser cut sheet 4mm thick. Ehhh not sure but if I see them marked down again like when I first saw them I may still bite

Yah, they are a bit pricey. I would like to see them in person as I am not sure 4mm is all that thick.

I called 24 Ace Hardware stores. I found out that even the ones that had the Q3200 in stock, didn't mean they had it "on display".

I found one that had it on display.

I went to that store.

Mobility:

No issues about mobility. This is much easier to move than the old grill. (Or maybe I was always doing the old grill incorrectly.) I do think the larger tires (8" vs 6" on the old grill) helps.

Side Tables:

The design for the side tables is also better than the old grill. There's a front hinge that keeps the table in place. I was able to put weight on it, and saw how it behaved. I got less of a "tipping" feeling than I did with the old grill.

I also saw how to fold the side tables.

Matt from Ace was also able to show me a few other things. He showed me the weight of the lid on the Q 3200, Spirit, and Genesis. The Genesis had a substantial heavier lid, than even the Spirit.

I also asked why there were 2 burner knobs on the Q 3200. One is for the outer burner, one for the inner burner. That design seems a little funny. I can't think of an instance where one would want the outer but not the inner. It feels like one would turn on both burners most of the time.

He also showed me how the grates have one side with raised upward grills for grill marks, and one side with flat grills if you don't want that. I didn't know that before.

I also finally understood how the fuel gauge worked. I couldn't figure out from online pictures and videos, why the fuel indicator marks were the way they were. I thought the empty mark should have been the highest, and the full mark the lowest, because if it's heavier, it's lower, so that should indicate fuller. But from online searching, it was the other way around. The empty was the lowest, and the full was the highest. I couldn't figure out why it was like that.

When I saw it in person, then I saw there was a red indicator mark. That finally explained how to read the gauge. So the red indicator marks indicates the fuel level.

That was something I wouldn't have been able to figure out, without a visit.

Matt also said that the spring in the fuel gauge might not work as well after a few years. It might lose some accuracy. But it should be covered by the warranty.

I was also able to see how the motion handle light worked in person, on the Q 3200. It works well.

The Q3200 looks better after seeing it in person. Since I could see the ease of the mobility, and the parts up close.

But I think I want a Genesis II 310 for it's even sturdier build, heavier lid, fuel gauge, and stronger side tables.

I suppose I could get the 2 burner edition, but I think I might as well get the 3 burner one.

I also saw how the Genesis II models had steel plates underneath the burners, to retain heat I guess. I asked about that. Raphael from Ace said that the Q 3200 didn't need them because it was a smaller unit.

Should I get the normal one with cast iron grates, or the special edition with the strainless steel grates?

Greg M. from the forums prefers stainless steel.

Grates are kind of a loaded question. Some people prefer stainless and some prefer the coated cast iron. Both are very good. I prefer the stainless myself because I find them easier to clean.

Matt from Ace preferred cast iron, because it retains heat better, he says.

Raphael from Ace (whom I talked to after Matt left, and I had more follow up questions, and Matt had already left for the day) prefers stainless steel. He says the heat retention is the same, but likes how stainless steel is easier to clean.

What does everyone else think?

Also, during my time at Ace, two different customers saw me talking to the employees about grills. They both came up to me and said "Get a Weber". Lol.

I think one of them came when I was with Matt, and another a while later either when I was still with Matt, or with Raphael.

I would go with Stainless on the grates for sure. Much Much Much easier to maintain. Get a Chargon cleaner for them as well. Best $20 you could spend for the new grill.

The Chargon is a simple looking tool but it will clean better than any brush and will do it much faster and you don't have to worry about steel bristles getting into your food.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00UI1X0L2/tvwb-20

Last edited:
The weight of the lid does NOT necessarily equate "quality" it just means it's heavy and maybe off balance. But, hey it's whatever trips your trigger. BTW I am not sure if it's ACE or True Value but another product worth looking at is Sabre.

Arun I already told you I prefer the stainless grates. But I think the coated cast iron is fine too.

But I'm with Bruce in that being able to use a chargon cleaner is a big advantage. And it only works on round stainless grates.

https://www.chargon.com

My very last input on this one:rolleyes:!

The Q3200 is a totally different animal than a Genesis II. The Q3200 has very even heat and benefits from the all cast aluminum and glass impregnated plastic construction. Almost no rust problems. The cast iron does take some maintenance to prevent rust, but it rewards you with excellent heat retention. This is a great grill for GRILLING. It wasn't designed to do low and slow bbq, rotisserie or really large roasts, etc. The side tables are not as sturdy as the Genesis II, I agree, but the weight of the lid is meaningless since the Q is aluminum instead of steel. The side tables will work fine unless you are planning on banging down 30 pounds of stuff on them. The Q3200 is a well made grill. If you want a fuel gauge on the Q all you have to do is buy a simple one that goes between the propane tank and the regulator.

The Genesis II has stainless steel plates under the burners to reflect heat upward. The burners are, in my opinion, too far apart and being front to back, too short for a really even cook. Weber put those heat reflectors in to compensate for this. They deteriorate pretty badly. Even stainless only lasts so long in that high heat/grease environment. The Genesis II is made of painted steel for the most part. Be prepared for rust. If you do get one, I recommend you consider the open cart vs. the closed cart since the closed in carts rust even worse.

I will say one last time, though, that if you really want a full-size grill with strong tables (and especially wood slats as you said in the beginning) then a nicely restored Genesis 1000 series grill would still be far and away my first recommendation. Solid construction with a classic style, burners running the long way providing even heat and rotisserie options, and a versatile grill for all types of grilling, even low and slow. Since you have someone who is close enough and willing, why not just tell him what you want and go for it?

Last edited:

Back