Looking for a new gas grill.

Arun you will get differing opinions on the enclosed vs open cart. A lot of us prefer open. To me the propane tank doesn't need protection and when it's enclosed it tends to catch dirt and debris and eventually rust.

As Dave stated most of us think webers are just better. Particularly the older discontinued models. Most but not all of us also think the new models are superior to the char broil, nexgrill, etc that you find. Those grills just don't last.

Here are a few videos that may help you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgmjqzCmzQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFMPVZXzSk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzF-hP79Vc

I finished watching all 3 videos. Thanks.

The design in the Webers make it so that parts are less likely to corrode away. For example, 8:49 in the first video vs. 15:17.

There's a lot of stuff that's faded away in the 2nd pic.

tdwOAzo.jpg

Flavorizer bars are really burner protectors. See webers description in the link below. That goes into why they are called flavorizers. They really are critical to protecting your burners.

Webers are much better because they are thicker. In my experience here are the types in ascending order of quality:

1. The ones on the throwaway (char broil, nexgrill,etc) are very thin and either mild steel or low quality stainless. These burn through very quickly. And are not cheap to replace. IF you can find replacements.

2. Weber porcelain coated flavorizers. Not stainless but are fairly thick. These last several years usually.

3. Weber stainless flavorizers. 18 gauge stainless. Last many years. Some companies also make aftermarket flavorizers that equal weber for weber grills that are equal in quality to these.

4. There is a guy that sells grill parts on eBay "rcplanebuyer" that makes flavorizers for weber grills that are thicker than the weber ones and even better. Those probably last indefinitely.

Rcplanebuyer and some other aftermarket companies make flavorizers for some But not all non weber grills. I never could find any for my old kenmore and my brother never could find any for his members mark. We both could only find the el cheapo ones from Sears and Sam's.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/bu...r-bars-replace-em-or-keep-em/weber-30521.html

How do I know what model Weber grills have porcelain coated flavorizers, and what models have stainless ones?

I guess if I go to the specifications here, it says stainless steel:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/...cgid=40#srule=Price+-+Ascending&sz=99&start=1

But if I look here, I'm not sure if it says so, unless they are calling a flavorizer a "flame tamer".

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grills/genesis-ii-310-propane-gas-grill-stainless-steel-61001001-2019

I would HIGHLY recommend a Q3xxx for you Arun I own one (shout out to Bruce) and just LOVE the thing. Outstanding performance as a grilling machine. Understand on things like a new style Genesis or a Q grill forget about doing rotisserie cooking (though from your descriptions) doesn't seem like you're into that type of thing anyway. Honestly hands down from what you're looking at and for your purposes the Q3xxx should be number 1 with a bullet on your list

I'll use my Weber Smokey Mountain for rotisserie cooking. I have a vertical roaster, and I've been able to fit both a chicken, and a turkey (not at the same time) upright, in the WSM.

When looking at the Q3200 again today, two things concern me:

1) Two wheels. On my inherited Char-Broil, it was always so awkward to move it around. That's why I wanted 4 wheels this time.

I don't move these grills great distances, but I do maneuver them around a little, on the patio, so I can make room for something else at the moment.

2) The side tables. Again, on the Char-Broil, even putting a simple plate of food would make it look like it had trouble supporting the weight.

I never had anything fall off, but it always just made me nervous putting weight on it.

Actually, one time I tried putting a 16 lb. pizza stone on it. It definitely could not support that weight.

On these Genesis models, the side table area looks much sturdier. There is more support underneath it.

Last edited:
In my opinion both are very good. It just depends on which to think looks better.

Is there a performance or longevity benefit to getting the stainless steel hood?

Otherwise, I'd go with the Special Edition 310, as it comes with stainless steel grates. And I'm curious as to what the LED handle light is like. I wish there was a video somewhere of it in use. Because I wonder if I could get it as a standalone part, in case I were to get a different model.

Is there a difference between the Weber 7107 grill cover, and the 7130?

I can't figure it out.

"Honestly hands down from what you're looking at and for your purposes the Q3xxx should be number 1 with a bullet on your list"

I think the Q is a great option given the original post. Arun, you should go to a Q dealer near you and check them out. If you want a new grill the large Q could fit many/most of the requirements you were looking for.

I will do this, so I can evaluate the side tables, and the mobility.

How do I know what model Weber grills have porcelain coated flavorizers, and what models have stainless ones?

I guess if I go to the specifications here, it says stainless steel:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/...cgid=40#srule=Price+-+Ascending&sz=99&start=1

But if I look here, I'm not sure if it says so, unless they are calling a flavorizer a "flame tamer".

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grills/genesis-ii-310-propane-gas-grill-stainless-steel-61001001-2019

Arun I'm pretty sure all the genesis grills come standard with the stainless flavorizers. The spirit grills have the porcelain coated ones.

Is there a performance or longevity benefit to getting the stainless steel hood?

Otherwise, I'd go with the Special Edition 310, as it comes with stainless steel grates. And I'm curious as to what the LED handle light is like. I wish there was a video somewhere of it in use. Because I wonder if I could get it as a standalone part, in case I were to get a different model.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there's no performance benefit. Probably not longevity but if the porcelain hood is chipped it will rust. If kept intact it will last indefinitely. The stainless is high quality 300 series and won't rust period. Sorry I can't help you in the light.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there's no performance benefit. Probably not longevity but if the porcelain hood is chipped it will rust. If kept intact it will last indefinitely. The stainless is high quality 300 series and won't rust period. Sorry I can't help you in the light.

Thanks.

Then assuming I can keep it chip free, then the Special Edition one, at $100 less than the stainless steel version, would work for me.

I will weigh in one last time. I wholeheartedly agree that the Q3200 is a truly great grilling machine. It is stylish (to me at least) and the aluminum and glass reinforced plastic construction is highly rust resistant. Although it only has one set of wheels it is not that hard to move around on a deck or patio. On the other hand, the big Q doesn’t seem to meet all the requirements you have laid out. The plastic side tables are adequate in my opinion, but definitely not as sturdy as the ones on a Genesis.

I personally think it sounds like you have a better option with Jason. Why not work with him to have him make you a custom classic Genesis with wood slat trays? If you don’t like casters, he could modify it with both sides having actual wheels. If you are willing to spend, get “rcplanebuyer” heavy duty stainless flavorizer bars and stainless grates (the very best!). You will have an awesome grill that will be FAR superior to any new Weber or any other brand at anywhere near the same price. With some reasonable care it will last you for decades.

I just chatted with BBQGuys.com online. I asked them about the handle light.

They said they didn't have any footage of it, but found this video online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xJKrHmM80U

After watching the video, I don't think I can tell much of difference when the grill is in use, and the flames are active.

When there's no flames though, then it provides nice illumination.

I will weigh in one last time. I wholeheartedly agree that the Q3200 is a truly great grilling machine. It is stylish (to me at least) and the aluminum and glass reinforced plastic construction is highly rust resistant. Although it only has one set of wheels it is not that hard to move around on a deck or patio. On the other hand, the big Q doesn’t seem to meet all the requirements you have laid out. The plastic side tables are adequate in my opinion, but definitely not as sturdy as the ones on a Genesis.

I personally think it sounds like you have a better option with Jason. Why not work with him to have him make you a custom classic Genesis with wood slat trays? If you don’t like casters, he could modify it with both sides having actual wheels. If you are willing to spend, get “rcplanebuyer” heavy duty stainless flavorizer bars and stainless grates (the very best!). You will have an awesome grill that will be FAR superior to any new Weber or any other brand at anywhere near the same price. With some reasonable care it will last you for decades.

Yeah, I disliked the plastic side tables on the old Char-Broil. I am hesitant to get a grill with plastic side tables again.

The Genesis ones have stainless steel and appear sturdier.

Still, I don't want to rule out the Q3200 without seeing it in person.

So right now, I think my options are:

1) Q3200

2) Genesis II E-310 Special Edition, with the stainless steel grates.

3) Restored Weber Skyline from Jason in CA.

How much weight can those side tables support? Any estimate?

Any idea of how much you're looking for? Or will that be determined after you've finished restoring it? If you also want to PM me the answer, that's fine too.

Arun you walked into a hornets nest of old Genesis fans. If you want new, go get new. If you like old, get old. We tend to like old here. This may not be the best place for recommendations. It is the gas grill forum. Somehow, most here like the older models best. They had east west burners, great for rotisserie cooking, and were built to last. We’d love to help but I fear most (like me) won’t be able to do much more than keep recommending old awesome Genesis grills :)

Arun you walked into a hornets nest of old Genesis fans. If you want new, go get new. If you like old, get old. We tend to like old here. This may not be the best place for recommendations. It is the gas grill forum. Somehow, most here like the older models best. They had east west burners, great for rotisserie cooking, and were built to last. We’d love to help but I fear most (like me) won’t be able to do much more than keep recommending old awesome Genesis grills :)

It's been touched upon in this thread, that a few people said the old Genesis ones were sturdier.

Do you agree with that? And if so, what make them sturdier that aren't like that now?

Also, when researching between the Genesis E-210 vs. the E-310, it appears the E-210 had porcelain flavorizers, while the E-310 has stainless steel.

So that's why if I went the Genesis route, I'd go with the E-310.

Yah, if you want new, get a Q3200. They are significantly lighter weight than the genesis grills as there is little steel in them. The stand is essentially plastic and the rest is almost all aluminum. Moving them around is simple and easy. Since the tables fold up, they are even easier to move and maneuver.

But, if you have the money, I see no reason to not go with an E310. But since you mentioned not using it as a primary grill and just doing stuff like corn on the cob on it, I don't really think you need or want anything more than a Q2xxx or Q3xxx.

A Genesis E310 weighs double what a Q3200 weighs and the difference is even greater with a Q2200.

It's been touched upon in this thread, that a few people said the old Genesis ones were sturdier.

Do you agree with that? And if so, what make them sturdier that aren't like that now?

Arun the old Weber had a sturdy powder coated steel frame. Or some models even had a stainless steel frame. The new ones have stamped steel pieces bolted together . The whole construction does not feel as solid anymore. And i think they are only painted but no longer powder coated. But I maybe wrong here. They have become lighter, thinner with less material used.
If you want new look for discounts. Lowe’s recently cleared out their inventories with huge discounts. And don‘t go by MSRP on the Weber side. These prices have always been higher than store prices.
But sometimes you might find slightly used ones for good prices too.
And Estate Sales can also be a good Option.

Stefan if you look at the new genesis II models the frame is powder coated and looks/seems pretty sturdy. Definitely not sheet metal like the previous generation. Not as solid as the old 1000, silvers, etc. though. The genesis II aluminium firebox is definitely a bit thinner than the old models too.

Thanks for the information. It has been a while I looked at them.

I might have misspoke. On the website it is listed as a "welded steel frame" . Not sure if it's powder coated or not. But definitely not the cheap bolted together sheet metal of the prior generation.

Back