Looking for a new gas grill.

Even though I'll have this under a gazebo, do any grills come with free grill covers? It would provide additional protection from wind, or any rain that could come from the side, during a windy rain.

Sometimes places like Ace do a promotion like that. Not all covers are worthwhile.

If you can live without the wood slats/traditional grill look, the suggestion of a Q 300/320/3200 is a very good one. You can get a decent cover for these, too. If you buy new (3200) you can probably get delivery and maybe at least a deal on a cover. These are excellent grills that are pretty easy to maintain and with all cast aluminum and plastic construction very resistant to rust.

I still think you should try to find a grill restoration person in your little locale. You might be able to get them to rebuild a classic Genesis to your specs and deliver it, too.

So the Genesis ones I just linked to, the Genesis II E-210 and E-310, have cast aluminum, right? That's what it says in the description, but thought someone else could confirm.

Yes that is correct. All cast aluminium except the very bottom that slides out for easy cleaning and is easily replaceable.

What is your timeline for getting a grill. I'm asking because I have a project I haven't started yet but when done it will be something like this if you are interested at all.

I'm about two hours from you and I would be willing to be able to help with delivery if you are interested and willing to wait.

Here is the thread on the one shown in the pictures. It will give you an idea of what I did, and what will be done to make the next one to make it ready.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75878-My-little-project

Unfortunately, the next one will have to wait for time and weather before I can have it ready. So if you are in the market for a grill now I can't help. However all the suggestions above are good. Given what you seem to be looking for I don't think you could go wrong with a large Q.

Last edited:
What is a flavorizor? I saw a picture of what it was. But why do they call it that? And why is this part critical, and why do you say Weber makes them better?

Flavorizer bars are really burner protectors. See webers description in the link below. That goes into why they are called flavorizers. They really are critical to protecting your burners.

Webers are much better because they are thicker. In my experience here are the types in ascending order of quality:

1. The ones on the throwaway (char broil, nexgrill,etc) are very thin and either mild steel or low quality stainless. These burn through very quickly. And are not cheap to replace. IF you can find replacements.

2. Weber porcelain coated flavorizers. Not stainless but are fairly thick. These last several years usually.

3. Weber stainless flavorizers. 18 gauge stainless. Last many years. Some companies also make aftermarket flavorizers that equal weber for weber grills that are equal in quality to these.

4. There is a guy that sells grill parts on eBay "rcplanebuyer" that makes flavorizers for weber grills that are thicker than the weber ones and even better. Those probably last indefinitely.

Rcplanebuyer and some other aftermarket companies make flavorizers for some But not all non weber grills. I never could find any for my old kenmore and my brother never could find any for his members mark. We both could only find the el cheapo ones from Sears and Sam's.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/bu...r-bars-replace-em-or-keep-em/weber-30521.html

Here's also a Special Edition of the Genesis II E-310, which has stainless steel cooking grates, and a motion activated handle light.

What does everyone think of stainless steel cooking grates, vs. the normal porcelain coated cast iron ones?

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...edition-propane-gas-grill-black-61011201-2019

Grates are kind of a loaded question. Some people prefer stainless and some prefer the coated cast iron. Both are very good. I prefer the stainless myself because I find them easier to clean.

What is your timeline for getting a grill. I'm asking because I have a project I haven't started yet but when done it will be something like this if you are interested at all.

I'm about two hours from you and I would be willing to be able to help with delivery if you are interested and willing to wait.

Here is the thread on the one shown in the pictures. It will give you an idea of what I did, and what will be done to make the next one to make it ready.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75878-My-little-project

Unfortunately, the next one will have to wait for time and weather before I can have it ready. So if you are in the market for a grill now I can't help. However all the suggestions above are good. Given what you seem to be looking for I don't think you could go wrong with a large Q.

I have no timeline.

Why are you selling it after restoring it? Why don't you want to keep it?

There are lots of guys on this folk forum that are rehabbers and flippers. That is kind of what I was getting to in my original post suggesting the Genesis 1000 with wood shelves. They're not that hard to rehab. And if you don't wanna do it and there is someone near you willing to do it, you can get a great grill for a lot less than a new one. And in many cases people think the older ones are superior to the new ones.

There are lots of guys on this folk forum that are rehabbers and flippers. That is kind of what I was getting to in my original post suggesting the Genesis 1000 with wood shelves. They're not that hard to rehab. And if you don't wanna do it and there is someone near you willing to do it, you can get a great grill for a lot less than a new one. And in many cases people think the older ones are superior to the new ones.

I never thought about this. Thanks.

Yes, it helps if someone like Jason in CA can help with the delivery.

Arun you will get differing opinions on the enclosed vs open cart. A lot of us prefer open. To me the propane tank doesn't need protection and when it's enclosed it tends to catch dirt and debris and eventually rust.

As Dave stated most of us think webers are just better. Particularly the older discontinued models. Most but not all of us also think the new models are superior to the char broil, nexgrill, etc that you find. Those grills just don't last.

Here are a few videos that may help you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgmjqzCmzQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFMPVZXzSk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzF-hP79Vc

Ok, watching your first video at the 2:25 mark. It shows the fuel gauge. It uses the weight of the tank to determine the fuel gauge. But I'm still not sure where it indicates exactly how much fuel is left?

Does this have 4 wheels? I'm not sure from the picture.

Also, do you have some specs on the cooking area and warming area?

Does the warming area also fold down?

I'm going with the specs Bruce gave on the cooking space.
'Weber Genesis 1000. They had the wood shelves and about 390 sq inches of cooking space, not including the warming rack. They have two fixed wheels and two caster wheels."

Also the shelf does fold down.

Ok, watching your first video at the 2:25 mark. It shows the fuel gauge. It uses the weight of the tank to determine the fuel gauge. But I'm still not sure where it indicates exactly how much fuel is left?

Yes it's weight based. There are pictures on the gauge showing how full or empty the tank is. It's pretty handy and accurate.

If you can wait and the grill Jason has appeals to you I would jump on that one. The new webers are good. But those old ones are built like tanks.

I have no timeline.

Why are you selling it after restoring it? Why don't you want to keep it?

I'm going with the specs Bruce gave on the cooking space.
'Weber Genesis 1000. They had the wood shelves and about 390 sq inches of cooking space, not including the warming rack. They have two fixed wheels and two caster wheels."

Also the shelf does fold down.

Sorry, I just realized you were asking about the warming rack and not the shelf. The warming rack does not fold down, but is removable.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Q3xxx for you Arun I own one (shout out to Bruce) and just LOVE the thing. Outstanding performance as a grilling machine. Understand on things like a new style Genesis or a Q grill forget about doing rotisserie cooking (though from your descriptions) doesn't seem like you're into that type of thing anyway. Honestly hands down from what you're looking at and for your purposes the Q3xxx should be number 1 with a bullet on your list

"Honestly hands down from what you're looking at and for your purposes the Q3xxx should be number 1 with a bullet on your list"

I think the Q is a great option given the original post. Arun, you should go to a Q dealer near you and check them out. If you want a new grill the large Q could fit many/most of the requirements you were looking for.

Back