Looking for a new gas grill.

At least the 10 year warranty now also applies to the frame. On the previous generation it did not. But again I would check for discounts if buying new. When Lowe’s cleared out their inventory a few weeks ago I have seen Genesis E-310 for $350 and E-410 for $450 in the store.

I might have misspoke. On the website it is listed as a "welded steel frame" . Not sure if it's powder coated or not. But definitely not the cheap bolted together sheet metal of the prior generation.

Between watching a video from earlier in this thread, and also the discussion in this thread, there are descriptions of sheet metal for the insides of cheaper grills, and now "powder coated" and "stamped steel" when describing frames.

Can someone expand a little more on this? I'm not too familiar with what they mean.

Thanks.

I looked to see where I could find the Q3200 in a retail store. So I could see how my concerns about the sturdiness of the side tables, and mobility are.

Most places don't have them in store. I checked Home Depot; Walmart; Target; Lowes; Ace.

Only a few Aces had them in store, and the closest would take about 40 mins to get to.

Not sure I want to make a special trip for that.

I guess it's down to the Genesis II E-310 special edition, or a restored Weber Skyline from Jason in CA.

Yah, if you want new, get a Q3200. They are significantly lighter weight than the genesis grills as there is little steel in them. The stand is essentially plastic and the rest is almost all aluminum. Moving them around is simple and easy. Since the tables fold up, they are even easier to move and maneuver.

But, if you have the money, I see no reason to not go with an E310. But since you mentioned not using it as a primary grill and just doing stuff like corn on the cob on it, I don't really think you need or want anything more than a Q2xxx or Q3xxx.

A Genesis E310 weighs double what a Q3200 weighs and the difference is even greater with a Q2200.

Yeah, it won't be my primary grill. But I also like the idea of getting something sturdier and even more durable.

Also, I could see myself doing taste tests between my two grills in the future, just to see if I can tell a difference. Maybe if I think some things taste similar between the grills, I start to use it even more.

For the most part, a Q3200 seemed suitable, except for the plastic side tables. But I wanted to see one in person, and it doesn't look like most stores carry them in store. They are either shipped to store, or delivered.

So that's why right now, if I were to go new, I'd do the E310 special edition.

I looked to see where I could find the Q3200 in a retail store. So I could see how my concerns about the sturdiness of the side tables, and mobility are.

Most places don't have them in store. I checked Home Depot; Walmart; Target; Lowes; Ace.

Only a few Aces had them in store, and the closest would take about 40 mins to get to.

I guess it's down to the Genesis II E-310 special edition, or a restored Weber Skyline from Jason in CA.

Just wanted to update that I also checked BBQs Galore; and Tru Value.

Tru Value only had the Q3200 as ship to store.

I may call one nearby just to ask if they have it in stock in the store itself.

While the tables may not "look" as sturdy I have to tell you from practical experience actually using one, they are FAR sturdier than you think they are. I have placed VERY heavy platters with food on them and not dropped a thing. FWIW. Also the Q3200 comes standard with the LED grill light just as the Q320 did. Also here to tell you it works great. I do make use of it quite often especially now what with it looking like midnight at 17:00
Again for what you're describing as use I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's also very adaptable to different cooking styles. Hell I have even smoked a slab of outstanding spares on mine. Now not saying it's a WSM equivalent but I made me some damn fine BBQ on it. Go in the Q forum and look at some of my photos of cooks on my posts. Also I too think you're way over hung up on the 4 caster thing. Unless you have HUGE 4 or 5" casters (like my Wolf grill has) they're useless. My Wolf has huge industrial caster wheels on it and yes they're "da bomb" but than it does weigh in at about 450lbs too.

Arun,

This looks like it is abut an hour away from you. If you really want to see one in person I suggest getting a hold of this seller. You could save lots of money and have a nearly new Q. From the pictures it looks like it is in excellent shape. According to the seller it is hardly used at all, and the pictures seem to verify that.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/d/weber-q3200-bbq-grille/6762136275.html

It's already been posted two days and at that price I am sure it wont last much longer.

Damn that is a STEAL though it's not a 3200 it's a 3000 but still a steal. The 3200 would have the light and second rack this one does not. Either way I would be ALL over this like white on rice

Last edited:
Damn that is a STEAL though it's not a 3200 it's a 3000 but still a steal. The 3200 would have the light and second rack this one does not. Either way I would be ALL over this like white on rice

Nice catch Larry. I didn't notice it was a 3000. I was going by the add description. However it's still a hell of a deal. If I had 5 hours to get it I would be interested even though I don't need it. It would be a much shorter trip for Arun.

I would say get it and use it. If you don't like it you can easily resell it for what you paid. Or at the price it's listed for, make a profit on it if you choose to.

Last edited:
Any idea of how much you're looking for? Or will that be determined after you've finished restoring it? If you also want to PM me the answer, that's fine too.

I haven't had time to get into it and see what all it is going to need yet. At this point I know it needs new cooking grates. However I don't know what else yet. The price will depend on how much I have to put into it.

Last edited:
Yah, that is the solution. That thing hasn't been used hardly at all. You can tell by the inside of the lid. It would be completely black if it was used a couple dozen times. $75 is a steal and it looks like the grill is ready to go with minimal cleanup and no maintenance needed. That thing will probably be cooking strong for well past a decade.

For the price, you can buy a cover and a light and cooking utensils for it and still only have about $150 invested.

Arun,

This looks like it is abut an hour away from you. If you really want to see one in person I suggest getting a hold of this seller. You could save lots of money and have a nearly new Q. From the pictures it looks like it is in excellent shape. According to the seller it is hardly used at all, and the pictures seem to verify that.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/d/weber-q3200-bbq-grille/6762136275.html

It's already been posted two days and at that price I am sure it wont last much longer.

When I first read the post, I thought the price was $300, and I thought that was a good deal, considering a new 3200 would be $470 - $520, depending on which retailer I got it from.

Then after reading other posts, and seeing the comment about $75, I checked again. Then I saw it was actually $75, and the seller just said he paid $300.

Thanks for finding it.

I'll contact the seller, and see if I can arrange a visit.

Not sure how to transport it, though.

I don't want to rent a truck and take it in the city. For one, that would take me 2.5 - 3 hours of rental time, including fill-up. Two, I'm ok driving my car a little bit in the city. But I have to plan in advance where to park. Otherwise I've spent 20 - 40 minutes before just searching for parking (and that could still happen even with planning).

Driving another vehicle, especially a bigger one that I'm used to, in SF, is even less desirable. I'd have to also see if the seller can reserve some sort of spot for me in the parking garage (and even then, it's hard enough to fit into those parking spaces).

But, I'll contact the seller and see if they have any ideas to make transportation easier.

It would probably be 3 hours of rental time, including transporting the grill in the elevator of the seller's apartment complex.

Also, my cousin who lives in the city, has told stories of how sometimes he tries to give stuff away for free, but people still ask if he can transport the item to where they are, because of transport obstacles. He tells them no.

While the tables may not "look" as sturdy I have to tell you from practical experience actually using one, they are FAR sturdier than you think they are. I have placed VERY heavy platters with food on them and not dropped a thing. FWIW. Also the Q3200 comes standard with the LED grill light just as the Q320 did. Also here to tell you it works great. I do make use of it quite often especially now what with it looking like midnight at 17:00
Again for what you're describing as use I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's also very adaptable to different cooking styles. Hell I have even smoked a slab of outstanding spares on mine. Now not saying it's a WSM equivalent but I made me some damn fine BBQ on it. Go in the Q forum and look at some of my photos of cooks on my posts. Also I too think you're way over hung up on the 4 caster thing. Unless you have HUGE 4 or 5" casters (like my Wolf grill has) they're useless. My Wolf has huge industrial caster wheels on it and yes they're "da bomb" but than it does weigh in at about 450lbs too.

Thanks. I'm just going by my experience with the old Char-Broil. I tried to place a 16 lb. baking stone on the side table, and it would not support that.

That baking stone feels like it's 25 lbs.

For the sake of discussion, just asking this.

The Q3200, looks like the old Char-Broil I had. I don't know how much it cost, because as I said, I inherited it.

But, from what people are saying, the Q3200 has cast aluminum, while the Char-Broil likely had sheet metal and other rust-prone parts?

Arun,

I'm not too familiar with the Q stand, however if I'm not mistaking, it is four screws and the BBQ comes off the cart, making them two pieces. My thought was if you separate them you would not need to rent anything. I imagine if it came down to it, you could fold the back seats down and have plenty of room in the car.

There are others here that could elaborate and clarify better than I can.

Also as Larry points out, it's a Q3000, not 3200. It's still a great deal though, and if you don't like it it would be easy to sell for the $75 you paid. Or more if you choose to make a little money on it and put that towards a different grill.

The grill posted in SF is sold.

Oh well, I'm not buying anything this month. There's a chance I could see a used one that's easier to get to, either later this month or in January.

Or I could still get new.

Last edited:
Arun,

I'm not too familiar with the Q stand, however if I'm not mistaking, it is four screws and the BBQ comes off the cart, making them two pieces. My thought was if you separate them you would not need to rent anything. I imagine if it came down to it, you could fold the back seats down and have plenty of room in the car.

There are others here that could elaborate and clarify better than I can.

Also as Larry points out, it's a Q3000, not 3200. It's still a great deal though, and if you don't like it it would be easy to sell for the $75 you paid. Or more if you choose to make a little money on it and put that towards a different grill.

Thanks for the info on how it comes apart. That makes it much easier to transport. I might have to make 2 trips, but it would still be worth it.

I could probably unscrew it on-site just to get a better visual of how it would look, and then imagine how I'd put it in my car.

This is for if I see another listing.

One thing I like about the Q3200, compared to the old Char-Broil, is that even though it still has 2 wheels, the wheels are bigger. That should make it easier to move around, unlike the Char-Broil.

Back