Looking for a new gas grill.

Yah, those plates under the burner tubes on the later model Weber grills are heat deflectors which were designed to help prevent the lower grease tray from catching fire.

I would go with Stainless on the grates for sure. Much Much Much easier to maintain. Get a Chargon cleaner for them as well. Best $20 you could spend for the new grill.

The Chargon is a simple looking tool but it will clean better than any brush and will do it much faster and you don't have to worry about steel bristles getting into your food.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00UI1X0L2/tvwb-20

I've never seen a tool like that.

Here are some tools I had added to my wishlist, last week. If I get the Chargon, then I don't need the stainless steel brush, right?

What makes the CharGon better than the stainless steel brush?

Cleaning:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F731D86/tvwb-20

Cooking:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LR23MA/tvwb-20

The weight of the lid does NOT necessarily equate "quality" it just means it's heavy and maybe off balance. But, hey it's whatever trips your trigger. BTW I am not sure if it's ACE or True Value but another product worth looking at is Sabre.

Thanks. I just learned about them now, after your post. They make a lot of types of grills, both built-in and free standing. Good to know.

My very last input on this one:rolleyes:!

The Q3200 is a totally different animal than a Genesis II. The Q3200 has very even heat and benefits from the all cast aluminum and glass impregnated plastic construction. Almost no rust problems. The cast iron does take some maintenance to prevent rust, but it rewards you with excellent heat retention. This is a great grill for GRILLING. It wasn't designed to do low and slow bbq, rotisserie or really large roasts, etc. The side tables are not as sturdy as the Genesis II, I agree, but the weight of the lid is meaningless since the Q is aluminum instead of steel. The side tables will work fine unless you are planning on banging down 30 pounds of stuff on them. The Q3200 is a well made grill. If you want a fuel gauge on the Q all you have to do is buy a simple one that goes between the propane tank and the regulator.

The Genesis II has stainless steel plates under the burners to reflect heat upward. The burners are, in my opinion, too far apart and being front to back, too short for a really even cook. Weber put those heat reflectors in to compensate for this. They deteriorate pretty badly. Even stainless only lasts so long in that high heat/grease environment. The Genesis II is made of painted steel for the most part. Be prepared for rust. If you do get one, I recommend you consider the open cart vs. the closed cart since the closed in carts rust even worse.

I will say one last time, though, that if you really want a full-size grill with strong tables (and especially wood slats as you said in the beginning) then a nicely restored Genesis 1000 series grill would still be far and away my first recommendation. Solid construction with a classic style, burners running the long way providing even heat and rotisserie options, and a versatile grill for all types of grilling, even low and slow. Since you have someone who is close enough and willing, why not just tell him what you want and go for it?

Yeah, I wouldn't do slow bbq on a gas grill. I have the Smokey Mountain for that.

So you think burners going horizontally, from left to right, are better than front to back?

Agree with the open cart.

I did not know that the burners were aligned differently between the Genesis 1000s, and the Genesis II.

What do others think? Do you agree with Jon Tofte that having burners from left to right, are more desirable?

To my less experienced self, I thought having them front to back would mean there was more control. If I only wanted one side of the grill lit, for a small amount of food, it would be better.

If they are from left to right, then do you have to turn them all on?

Matt from Ace Hardware also said something about how the burners were now front to back. I didn't grasp that it was differently before, as there were a lot of other things I was thinking about, when seeing the grills in person.

Arun you walked into a hornets nest of old Genesis fans. If you want new, go get new. If you like old, get old. We tend to like old here. This may not be the best place for recommendations. It is the gas grill forum. Somehow, most here like the older models best. They had east west burners, great for rotisserie cooking, and were built to last. We’d love to help but I fear most (like me) won’t be able to do much more than keep recommending old awesome Genesis grills :)

Re-reading this post. Yes, the older grills did have left to right burners.

Re read my post I told you why it's better .

You mentioned steel bristles.

The brush I linked to has round steel rings. The comments for that mention they like that because it doesn't have bristles (which is why I added it to my wishlist last week).

The CharGon brush will also avoid bristles in food, because it doesn't have bristles.

Does every Weber grill (from the portables to the bigger ones) have two-sided grates?

One with raised grills, and one with flat grills?

Does every Weber grill (from the portables to the bigger ones) have two-sided grates?

One with raised grills, and one with flat grills?

The Q does NOT have 2 sided grates. The person who told you that was making up stories. Also re your question about the 2 burners on a Q3xxx. Seriously you don't understand the reason? It works like ANY multi burner grill. The big Q is a VERY capable and versatile grill. I have even done some very good low/slow spare ribs with even a good smoke ring. It makes a VERY good stand in for a full sized grill i.e. an older Genesis. As such it can be a near perfect companion to your WSM. But, again it's time..................open the wallet let the moths out and just do it or get off the pot :D You're making yourself (and honestly all of us) a little bit nuts with all the indecision :D

The Q does NOT have 2 sided grates. The person who told you that was making up stories. Also re your question about the 2 burners on a Q3xxx. Seriously you don't understand the reason? It works like ANY multi burner grill. The big Q is a VERY capable and versatile grill. I have even done some very good low/slow spare ribs with even a good smoke ring. It makes a VERY good stand in for a full sized grill i.e. an older Genesis. As such it can be a near perfect companion to your WSM. But, again it's time..................open the wallet let the moths out and just do it or get off the pot :D You're making yourself (and honestly all of us) a little bit nuts with all the indecision :D

Sorry.

I've moved as fast as I could.

I made the original post on December 01.

After a few days, I realized I needed to see the Q and Genesis in person.

On December 8th, the first weekend day I had available, I called 24 stores until I found one that had the Q in particular on display. I made the commitment to go out of town to see it.

I learned things from seeing them in person that I wouldn't have been able to do from online.

I relayed what my experience was like on Dec. 10th.

Other questions I had, like cast iron grates vs. steel, were important because I wanted to get the right one. Now I see more prefer stainless steel grates. I've got an answer.

As well as helpful advice on tools. That's something I wouldn't have known a day ago.

The latest question I have is why do some people like east to west burners? THyde mentions them as a reason why older grills are preferred.

Do you have to turn all of them on to get a good cook? Or do you just turn one of them on, and place food horizontally?

Are they preferred, because a burner is longer going east to west, then it would be north to south? And so a longer east to west burner cooks better than a north to south?

This should help me determine whether I get an older refurbished model, or a newer one. Since that's a big difference.

East west is good for rotisserie cooking. The long burners are parallel with the rotisserie, allowing a smooth, even roto cook.

If you just want to grill burgers or some corn or other veggies I don't think burner setup makes a difference. You have three zones either way. Either from side to side and front to back. There is no rocket science behind it. It is just a grill. lol
But as indicated by THyde it makes a difference for rotisserie cooking. I use mine quite a bit. Just last weekend I grilled a leg of lamb on the roto.
With the burners running alongside the roto you have a much better even heat distribution along the roto. With north to south burners it is better you get a grill that has an additional back burner if you want to use a rotisserie.
Plus if you want to use the warming rack for slow cooking the east to west burner setup has an advantage as well since you can regulate the heat underneath the warming by just adjusting the rear burner.
I personally prefer the older grills because I use the rotisserie quite a bit and because I can find used ones cheap and refurbish them for very little money. Plus if something breaks on the ones I use personally I always have plenty of spare parts.
If the rotisserie is not that important for you and you don' want to spend some elbow grease to clean up an old one you might as well go with a new one which gives you 10 years warranty.

Until I bought my 1000 all I ever had were north/south burners so as others have said if you want to do the rotis the east west will be the way to go. Actually hooking up mine Saturday if the darn weather ever breaks.

If you don't care about the rotis and doing more things like Stefan said burgers or indirect steaks then to me the north/south is much better for that and others can argue that point but since I have had both there is no argument to me. Yes you can do indirect on the east/west also but IMO the north/south works better for that use. Really depends on your cooking style.

Arun, did you ever buy a grill, or are you still calling stores up and down the coast searching for just the right one?

Back