Looking for a new gas grill.

A couple days ago I heard from Arun. It sounds like he has made a decision and I'm currently the holdup. Looks like I'm gonna have to find some time to get busy on things. Now if the weather and my other obligations ever let up I may be able to do just that.

A couple days ago I heard from Arun. It sounds like he has made a decision and I'm currently the holdup. Looks like I'm gonna have to find some time to get busy on things. Now if the weather and my other obligations ever let up I may be able to do just that.

Jason,
That’s really cool. I am glad he is going the classic restoration route. It will be worth waiting for!

Yah, I think the guy will be happy with a restored weber and have extra money for accessories or steaks.

Arun, did you ever buy a grill, or are you still calling stores up and down the coast searching for just the right one?

Yes it's weight based. There are pictures on the gauge showing how full or empty the tank is. It's pretty handy and accurate.

If you can wait and the grill Jason has appeals to you I would jump on that one. The new webers are good. But those old ones are built like tanks.

I will weigh in one last time. I wholeheartedly agree that the Q3200 is a truly great grilling machine. It is stylish (to me at least) and the aluminum and glass reinforced plastic construction is highly rust resistant. Although it only has one set of wheels it is not that hard to move around on a deck or patio. On the other hand, the big Q doesn’t seem to meet all the requirements you have laid out. The plastic side tables are adequate in my opinion, but definitely not as sturdy as the ones on a Genesis.

I personally think it sounds like you have a better option with Jason. Why not work with him to have him make you a custom classic Genesis with wood slat trays? If you don’t like casters, he could modify it with both sides having actual wheels. If you are willing to spend, get “rcplanebuyer” heavy duty stainless flavorizer bars and stainless grates (the very best!). You will have an awesome grill that will be FAR superior to any new Weber or any other brand at anywhere near the same price. With some reasonable care it will last you for decades.

Thanks for asking, @Dave in KC.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, early in December. I'm also glad I relayed my experience from Ace Hardware on Dec. 8th, as I then learned from others what I should and should not take into account, from that experience of seeing the grills in person.

I decided last month, a few days after that visit, that I would get @Jason in CA's restored Weber Genesis, whenever it's ready.

Arun,
That is definitely worth waiting for. Not only are you getting a well made classic Weber, you are getting a fairly rare and VERY cool model! We look forward to welcoming you into the “Skyline Club!”

Gonna be awful hard for Arun to have second thoughts. But, yah, since most of the members here own and use older style Webers when we could easily have a later model Genesis speaks to the benefits of the older grills. And damn, a Skyline to boot. Something even many of the most ardent classic Genesis guys don't have.

Gonna be awful hard for Arun to have second thoughts. But, yah, since most of the members here own and use older style Webers when we could easily have a later model Genesis speaks to the benefits of the older grills. And damn, a Skyline to boot. Something even many of the most ardent classic Genesis guys don't have.

Bruce,

We have got to get you back in the club;)!

2e1zii0.jpg

Yah, I am keeping my eyes open. I would like to snap another one up and if the lid is in really good condition, I would keep this one. I am still a little dissapointed in the fact that the other one I sold (for a good price) didn't seem to be going to a person that really cared about the logo or anything else about the grills uniqueness. He just wanted a grill for his hunting camp. I am guessing it is sitting next to a cabin in N. Minnesota right now next to a cabin deep in the woods with leaves and 12" of snow piled on it. I think he would have paid the same $400 for a plain rehabbed Silver B.

Back