Limiting Acrid Taste in a WSM

TJStanley

I want to make a thread about some of the tips to reduce the amount of acrid tasting BBQ and white smoke so that other new WSM owners don’t end up throwing perfectly good meat in the garbage as I have done more times than I’d like to admit in my fledgling BBQ career. Feel free to contribute any other tips you have as well. I am by no means an expert, and am still struggling with trying to control not having acrid tasting BBQ but part of it is due to not following tip #1 here.

1. The WSM takes a little while to actually start burning clean. Ideally, you don’t want to see any smoke at all before you put any meat on the pit. I like to light mine with the minion method with the chimney overtop of the fire ring. Once the charcoals are glowing hot I dump most of them in the middle and the rest scattered around the fire ring. At this point put the top back on and open all the vents completely. Here is where you will see the most white smoke. You do NOT want to put your meat on at this point because this is dirty smoke and the pit is not ready yet. From what I’ve seen so far it take around 45 mins all the way up to 1 1/2 hours for the smoke to become clean and in most circumstances transparent or very close to. It’s at that point you want to put your meat on because that’s the sweet smoke you want your meat absorbing for the best flavour. The earlier white smoke is essentially imparting soot on your meat which will likely end up in the trash because it tastes so bad.

2. Its still not enough to wait an hour for the white smoke to clear. The next tip is to limit the amount of times you open up your grill to take a peak, and even more so opening up the door. There’s still unlit charcoal and potentially unlit wood in your fire ring and the act of opening up the lid/door too often actually draws in more oxygen, which the fire needs to grow stronger. Once the fire ring starts getting hotter because of all this new oxygen, it will start smoking dirty again. Obviously there’s times we need to open the lid to spritz for example. In this case I recommend just cracking the lid open a bit and squeezing your spray bottle nozzle in there pointed at the meat and spritzing it that way if you must.

3. Try to cook on calm non-windy days. This pretty much relates to the last point made, but all that wind is just feeding a ton more oxygen into your pit and makes maintaining temps nearly impossible. It was really windy last night and I decided to start up the pit with a dry pan. Combined with opening the lid once too many times and my temps were pushing 400F and would’ve only gotten hotter had I not doused the fire ring in water.

4. Grease management. As we all know, too much grease will start a fire. And an accumulation of grease in the fire ring can easily cause a fire. Dripping grease into a dry water pan will cause it to flash and can also cause a fire. If you must use a dry pan for your cooks I recommend using an aluminum pan on the lower grid in addition to tin foil around the top of the water pan as an extra measure of protection from flashing the grease.

5. Choke back your intake about 25 degrees before your target temp is reached. For example, if you are planning to cook at 275F try choking the intake back around 240-250F because it’s gonna keep climbing. The temp control on a WSM isn’t as responsive as the dial on a traeger, and while choking or opening up vents has a result on the temperatures, it’s far from instantaneous and takes some time to respond. Again, I live in a pretty Windy City so this may not affect everyone the same.

You do NOT want to put your meat on at this point because this is dirty smoke and the pit is not ready yet.

Many on here wait 30-90 minutes for the temps to "stabilize" and the smoke to turn thin blue. But many others on here (including me) just start cooking right away.

Once the charcoal in the chimney is fully lit and ready to go, the big plumes of smelly smoke (especially a thing with KBB) are pretty much gone. After that (and no matter how long you wait to start cooking), the charcoal is going to be gradually lighting up for as long as you keep cooking. So why wait?

To me, the cooker is only going to be "stabilized" until AFTER the cooker is fully loaded with lit fuel, meat, fully hot water and after the vents are adjusted. So I try to get to that point as soon as possible.

Many folks think that the bad/acrid smoke is really related to the wood chunks (not the charcoal). So some folks bury their smoke wood in the minion charcoal pile to help smoke quality. I do that. To get cooking faster, I also put a wood chunk into the chimney. So I have lit wood and lit charcoal right away.

I’ve seen a few popular youtube channels where white smoke is billowing out of the cookers (dramatic effect?) all the time. The food must be inedible .

🤮

Me too. Once I get the temps up, I put on my meat.

In my experience, if you apply too much smoke during a cook, that is a big contributor to it tasting acrid and even bitter. Over the years, I have cut back the amount of smoking wood and now prefer a lighter smoke. Have not had an acrid smoke result in 20 years.

I pre-heat the smoke wood which will get a nice blue stream fairly quickly after firing up the smoker, just like preheating splits when running an offset...I fire up the kettle first then put the wood over to one side indirect for about 45 min as I am getting the meat prepped. Let the smoker come up to temp and throw on the wood then the meat...Ive seen guys also bury the wood at the bottom of the grate and put unlit on top and then the lit coals on top of that, the heat of the fire warms the wood up and then once it start smoking there is less "white smoke"

I’ve seen a few popular youtube channels where white smoke is billowing out of the cookers (dramatic effect?) all the time. The food must be inedible .

🤮
Mad scientist is pretty serious about his barbecue and is the only one of the big youtubers who I’ve regularly heard saying to wait for the smoke to turn clear. I know Malcom Reed just tosses his cooks on the grate while his UDS is still smoking white. To tell you the truth his smokers are usually always smoking white so I don’t know what he’s doing to get it tasting so good. Or at least looking so good. Mad scientist also gets his BBQ looking pretty good though. Jeez, a lot of things in the BBQ world are a 50/50 tossup.

My 0.02p.
I use the tin-cam Minion method. Wood chunks buried amongst the unlit. Whilst the 15-20 briqs are getting fired up I assemble everything, (meat on top grate, probes inserted, lid on ready to lift onto the charcoal bowl).
Dump the lit briqs into the can, remove can and then put the cooker together, all vents at 11, and bring everything up together. I don't bother looking at it again for a least 45 minutes. When I'm +/- 30deg below my desired cook temp I'll close off all three lower vents to about 1/8th open.
Early on I learned how the cooker works with the parameters I set it at.
I don't get acrid taste.
Edit: Remember, what some people describe as acrid, others may call it smokey goodness. And don't douse the coals with water. It's dangerous!! I'd imagine the burns unit at the hospital is not a nice place to visit.

Last edited:
A lot of stuff in this thread is covered in articles I've written over the last 20+ years for The Virtual Weber Bullet. Folks new to the WSM should spend a couple of days going through the recipes, the operating tips, and the mods articles. It represents the combined knowledge of a lot of experienced WSM owners over the years.

I've never cooked according to tips #1 and #2 above.

Some people are really sensitive to the combustion gases of certain brands of charcoal (Kingsford comes to mind) as well as certain smoke woods and quantities of smoke wood, which they describe as acrid aromas during the cooking process or acrid flavors in the finished product.

As always, there is no absolute right or wrong answer to any of this, it's about what you like and what works for you. When I hear people talk about acrid aromas or flavors when using the WSM, my advice is to reduce the amount of smoke wood used. Try cooking ribs with 1 chunk of smoke wood. Cook two pork butts or a whole brisket using just 3 chunks of smoke wood. Evaluate the flavor of the finished product and increase the amount of smoke wood from there. The WSM is not a stick burner, you're burning charcoal for heat and using smoke wood as a seasoning. You may be surprised how little wood you actually need to get the job done. I've even cooked with charcoal-only (no smoke wood) and had decent results.

To illustrate how far I stray from tip #1, you need look no further than the three slabs of baby back ribs I cooked today for Smoke Day. I lit 30 Kingsford briquets and dropped them on top of a bunch of unlit charcoal. I dropped three medium-sized chunks of apple wood on top of the lit charcoal (not buried in the charcoal). I filled the pan with water. I only waited 10 minutes before putting the ribs in the WSM (that had everything to do with being disorganized, not waiting for the white smoke to diminish). I always get a strong burst of smoke in the beginning, then it starts to taper off around 30-40 minutes into the cook--I never wait that long to start cooking. I had all vents top and bottom 100% open for the entire 4 hour cook, the cooker crept up to 250*F after 40 minutes and didn't reach my target of 275*F until 2 hrs 10 minutes into the cook. I didn't care, the temp just crept up and up and up. It held 275 for about 1 hour, then started drifting down to 260*F. It was all good, these were perfectly good cooking temps. Oh, and starting at the 1 hour mark, I opened the cooker every 30 minutes to spritz the ribs.

Were my ribs acrid? No, they were delicious for me and my wife. Perhaps they'd taste acrid to someone else, since taste is such a subjective and complicated thing.

Really, this was a no-brainer cook. I attribute a lot of that to water in the pan. It's hard to get out-of-control temps with water in the pan. I wrote an entire article on the use of water in the WSM.

A few other points...

I wrote a whole article on cooking in the wind. If you've got so much wind that you can't control cooker temp, you certainly need to cook in a sheltered location, which may include building a wind screen or enclosure.

Grease fires are just one of the common operating mistakes made by new WSM owners. By the way, grease burning in a hot, empty water pan can also be a source of acrid flavors imparted to meat. An air gap between foil and the bottom of the water pan can help prevent burning...even a small amount of water in the pan will help.

Tip #5 is correct about needing to partially close bottom vent dampers as the cooker approaches your target temp. It's well established that it's easier to control WSM temp on the way up and can be hard to force it down when it gets too high. Dousing the charcoal ring with water to reduce cooker temp is dangerous, can get ashes on your food, and may crack the porcelain enamel finish of the cooker parts. Again, the website has a bunch of articles on firing the WSM and how to address temperature control problems.

Last edited:
Remember, what some people describe as acrid, others may call it smokey goodness.
It seemed like I could never get the level of smoke flavor I wanted using a WSM.
Nowadays almost everything I bbq has a strong almost acrid taste, even with very little wood. Two things possibly causing this, first is 10 months ago I quit smoking cigarettes after many years. The second is it might be the medication I've been taking for the last 10 months.
Yesterday's ribs hinted of creosote flavor to me, but my wife says not at all to her.
I've also noticed anything vinegary is more astringent than it used to be.

I've been following Harry Soo's videos where he buries the smoke wood on the bottom and does the Minion method. I only wait about 10 minutes and then start cooking, nothing has been overpowered with smoke yet, and my family does not care for a strong smoke flavor (even though I do).
The only time I've waited longer was for the turkey I did, because I've heard stories about poultry getting too smoked out.
Although I did have a piece of wood burst into flames once or twice with this method, not sure why but that was not fun lol.
Picture of the Turkey just because :)
IMG_1875.jpg

Since 08, I've been doing a MM start and load the meat immediately.
From advice from Kevin Kruger I learned to split my wood chunks into thirds or fourths or smaller.
I place those on top of my unlit then scatter my lit over them.
I think and know that the smoke gets cleaned while passing thru the lit charcoal and I usually get TBS in about 30 mins.

From advice from Kevin Kruger I learned to split my wood chunks into thirds or fourths or smaller........

I do the same. I've got into the habit of sawing my wood, (stop tittering at the back, ;) ), into small 1-2" cubes and scattering them randomly amongst the unlit.
I'm using the 14.5 bullet, so real estate in the charcoal ring is at a premium for fuel during a long cook.

Last edited:
If I'm cooking at 225 or maybe even 250, I wait until the WSM is at about 200 to put the food on. My theory is some bad smoke can comes from rapidly igniting charcoal. I've only oversmoked something maybe twice. I do think certain people are more sensitive to smoke than others. Maybe starting with more lit charcoal and getting the vents in equilibrium sooner will help in certain cases. I use big chunks with no problems but the smaller chunk theory makes some sense to me. I also bury some chunks and put some on top.

I've never smoked food using tips #1 & 2 and have never noticed an acrid, or off taste.
As soon as the smoker is slightly above cooking temp, I add the meat and let 'er rip.

Back