Limited Edition Weber Original Kettle Premium 22" in RED!! Order by May 12!

We now I am in a quandary. I wasn’t planning to even open mine up. I don’t need it to cook on but didn’t want to pass up this “limited” opportunity to have a new red Weber kettle. My Ace received exactly 2. For the 2 customers that specifically asked for one. But now I am thinking I better open it up and check the porcelain and such, so if there is a problem, I can have it remedied.

Robb,

Just have them replace it until they get it right.

I was kind of wondering if Weber still manufactures in the U.S.A., is that still so?

Weber never had so many quality issues in the past, it's a bit disappointing. I hope they haven't taken manufacturing offshore and this is just an artifact of such. Weber's loyal customer base deserves better.

I hope they haven't taken manufacturing offshore and this is just an artifact of such.
Oh, Alan...you're about to be greatly disappointed. These new red grills are completely "Made in China". The little secret most Weber fans don't realize is that more grill parts have been coming from China in recent years than you think. It's been that way ever since they changed the label from "Made in USA" to "Designed & Engineered in Palatine, Illinois, USA" along with "Made in USA incorporating globally source component parts". The newest Genesis II gas grills are coming out of China. I think a lot of charcoal bowl and lid construction is still happening in Illinois, including major WSM components. But the trend is more and more coming from China.

Is it just me, or does the limited edition grill seem a bit lighter to you? I checked it out at Lowes yesterday and was not as impressed by the materials. The lid seemed thinner and lighter IMO...

Is it just me, or does the limited edition grill seem a bit lighter to you? I checked it out at Lowes yesterday and was not as impressed by the materials. The lid seemed thinner and lighter IMO...

That is really disappointing. The grills damaged in shipping could be a packaging/shipping issue rather than Weber’s fault. But all made in a China plus the impression that this version is built less solidly does take some of the luster off the eye catching advertisement. I have been to Lowes, Home Depot and the two Ace stores near us but no red kettles to inspect in person. Ace said they would special order but no current plan for a display in stock one. I really want to see for myself before casting any judgment. I will keep looking around. Meanwhile, that gorgeous vintage dark red one sure looks great!

Ace said they would special order but no current plan for a display in stock one.

Ace dealers placed their orders last summer at the Ace Dealer Show in Chicago. My brother is GM of an Ace Hardware here in NorCal, that's where/when he ordered 24 of the red kettles for his store.

For anyone in the SF Bay Area that's near Sebastopol or willing to take a nice drive to Wine Country, there are several available at Sebastopol Hardware Center. But to be safe, call in advance to check on availability: http://www.sebastopolhardware.com/

Tell them I sent you! :D

Really wanted one until I saw one in person. Didn't like the color, almost looked faded and not as robust as the vintage red ones. Decided to pass.

I’m with you Rich, I stopped at the dealer here and the color is just a little “delicate” not the old style with flair and panache. It was just “kind of red” and blah. I was a little disappointed but, I wasn’t really that fired up over them either.
I’ll stick with my black and maroon kettles. I’m out of room until I build my smoking shed off the back of the garage.
I’m letting myself mentally design until “ice out” in the spring.

Can someone confirm the differences between this LE Red and the Black Master Touch?

I think the following is at least a partial list:

Color: Red vs Black; Black vs bare metal ash bucket
Thermometer Bezel slightly fancier on the Red
Mast-Tch comes with the GBS (donut shaped grate)
Mast-Tch comes with raised warming rack grate over grate
Mast-tch is slightly taller, it seems

Anything else?
Are there charcoal baskets with either one?

Can someone confirm the differences between this LE Red and the Black Master Touch?

I think the following is at least a partial list:

Color: Red vs Black; Black vs bare metal ash bucket
Thermometer Bezel slightly fancier on the Red
Mast-Tch comes with the GBS (donut shaped grate)
Mast-Tch comes with raised warming rack grate over grate
Mast-tch is slightly taller, it seems

Anything else?
Are there charcoal baskets with either one?

Pretty much right on with your list.

The LE Red bezel and badge include the Weber kettle logo and phrases "Est. 1952" and "Limited Edition". It comes with the standard plated hinged cooking grate and includes the Tuck-Away lid holder. It does not include the GBS grate, the warming rack, or the Char-Basket fuel holders included with the Master-Touch.

Both LE Red and Master-Touch have the longer legs and measure 42" tall.

The LE Red wheels may be a different design from the Master-Touch and do not include the gray "hub caps" of the Master-Touch. It also has a black triangle support, the Master-Touch has a silver triangle.

The LE Red has a larger plastic handle on the lid vent damper that is similar if not identical to the one on the Summit Charcoal grills. The one on the Master-Touch is the older, smaller design.

For those interested in obscure Weber details...notice that these new red kettles have a two-character date code "BM" or "BI" on the lid damper? It's not part of the old "AUTHORIZED" or "CONSUMABLE" or "GIVEJOYNUW" date codes schemes, but one I just learned about:

BLAQKSMIXH

BM = 17 as in 2017 model year
BI = 18 as in 2018 model year

coU5XEw.jpg

3b6mEYv.jpg

I took a luggage scale on a field trip to Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply Hardware, The Home Depot, and Lowe's to weigh the following lids.

Jl6WZ4U.jpg

As you can see, the Limited Edition red lids weigh more than the other lids, all of which include lid thermometers.

FYI, the premium kettle lid is green, the two Performer lids are black.

While investigating lid weight, I also took a closer look at the wheels. The Limited Edition red wheel (left) is the same design as the Genesis II gas grill wheel (right).

oSulbMm.jpg

This photo clearly shows the difference in height between 18.5" kettle, 22.5" kettle premium, 22.5" Limited Edition red, and 26.75" kettle premium.

5t4KJrK.jpg

New today:

PALATINE, Ill., Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the company that helped ignite America's passion for grilling, announces the launch of the Original Kettle® Premium Limited Edition charcoal grill in the classic red color that first debuted in 1961.

The 22-inch red Original Kettle Premium grill will be produced in a limited run and are available nationwide with a suggested retail price of $219.

"Consumers have been asking us for years to bring back the iconic red kettle," says Melissa Enos, vice president of marketing, Weber-Stephen Products LLC. "This nostalgic kettle grill is available in limited quantities—so we expect it to sell out as the holiday gift giving season approaches."

The Original Kettle Premium grill boasts 363 square inches of cooking space, a commemorative badge, and a variety of features such as: hinged cooking grates, One-Touch cleaning system, high-capacity aluminum ash catcher, tool hooks, Tuck-Away lid holder, and built-in thermometer.

For more information, visit www.weber.com.

SOURCE Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Well I talked to Weber again after I received the second damaged limited red and they still wouldn't send me a new lid under warranty. Told to send it back to Amazon. Called Amazon customer service and they won't send me a third one. They credited me my money back and suggested I find another vendor...So today I'm taking two grills to the UPS store to be shipped back. No limited for me for now. I may have missed the opportunity. I will check to see if the local Ace store can order me one.

Called Amazon customer service and they won't send me a third one. They credited me my money back and suggested I find another vendor.

If you are desperate and want a third one from Amazon can't you just place a new order without involving CS?

I guess I'm the only one who this grill don't appeal to...I mean at ALL. I just think they put no effort after such a drought...heck I've seen better customization from members! I do think that for those pursuing the grill there is no excuse for the lack of quality, at the very least the product must come intact. Good luck

I guess I'm the only one who this grill don't appeal to...I mean at ALL. I just think they put no effort after such a drought...heck I've seen better customization from members! I do think that for those pursuing the grill there is no excuse for the lack of quality, at the very least the product must come intact. Good luck

No, you're not the only one. We've had posts from people that aren't happy with the color or are not big fans of red or have concerns about the quality. That's OK.

But let's put this into perspective. We're seeing complaints from dissatisfied customers about finish issues, and I don't blame them for complaining--Weber needs to do better. Dissatisfied customers always complain the loudest. However, there are undoubtedly many more customers who are not posting about their satisfaction with these grills.

I bought two of them, both arrived in great shape. I like the color a lot. A few *tiny* imperfections in the finish that most buyers would never notice unless they were pointed out. I'm happy with the two I bought, I'm giving one away as part of our Christmas Prize Drawing, and I hope the winner enjoys it!

Hopefully Weber learns a few things as a result of this venture and is not scared away from trying other limited edition colors in the future. Would love to see a colorful WSM at some point in the future. :D

Back