Kosher full sour garlic pickles - in about 7-9 days

Well I just had my first fail. I tried the tea bag but I doubt that is it. I put them in Sunday afternoon and was surprised that by Wed the PH had not dropped below 4 1/2. So Thursday (today) I decided to take one out and check it. Nasty!
20230803_073017.jpg20230803_073055.jpg20230803_073204.jpg

^^^ HOLY ^^^
Baby cukes are out around me now.....no idea the style but they are quite bumpy on the outside.....
Might go ahead and buy up a dozen or so and make some this weekend....it is a long weekend for us!
Give Brett's recipe a run as mine was more directed towards being dilly's

@Joe Anshien , that’s too bad…
I joined a fermenting group on FB, this morning, a guy posted that he made 5 jars of pickles and added teabags to 4 of them. All 4 grew mold, the other one was fine. ????
Like you, I started a batch on Sunday and plan on checking it today. This time, in addition to bay leaves, I added a few grape leaves to see if they’ll have any effect on crispness. Haven’t opened them yet but was planning on doing so today. The last ones, turned out good after 4 days on the counter then I finished them in the fridge.

Today, after 4 days
921CC689-7B3B-478C-B6C5-4A8374AD8A08.png

Joe. I’d recco you follow this recipe as the science behind it is well researched and tested. It’s not a Ph issue for the water. You have to measure in metric and use the salt to water proportions.

I’ve made some bad and salty pickles. This recipe version is a near exact replica of Guss Pickles (Essex Street Pickle Company) on the LES of NY.

I think I am going to go for it this weekend.......
Go with what you posted in the first post. I do not have mustard seed....my neighbor may have a bit I can steal but if not I will just use a bit of mustard powder......mustard powder is just ground seed.....let me know if for any reason I should not use powder....please and thanks.
I have the rest of the ingredients....and a scale....I use it to weight percentages of salt when I make sauerkraut.
I should have room to do 12 regular sized ones in my crock......my disadvantage is I cannot see into it from day to day.
I also do not know if I should stop it at day 5 or 7 or 9............and I cannot see them.

I was also considering a bit of horseradish in there....

I think I am going to go for it this weekend.......
Go with what you posted in the first post. I do not have mustard seed....my neighbor may have a bit I can steal but if not I will just use a bit of mustard powder......mustard powder is just ground seed.....let me know if for any reason I should not use powder....please and thanks.
I have the rest of the ingredients....and a scale....I use it to weight percentages of salt when I make sauerkraut.
I should have room to do 12 regular sized ones in my crock......my disadvantage is I cannot see into it from day to day.
I also do not know if I should stop it at day 5 or 7 or 9............and I cannot see them.

I was also considering a bit of horseradish in there....
don't use mustard powder as the seeds work differently than powder. the powder will overwhelm the recipe in the same amount. check at day 4 and each day thereafter. you can stop by day 9, usually. the pickles will ferment still in the fridge. lmk if you have any additional concerns or questions.

@Joe Anshien , that’s too bad…
I joined a fermenting group on FB, this morning, a guy posted that he made 5 jars of pickles and added teabags to 4 of them. All 4 grew mold, the other one was fine. ????
Like you, I started a batch on Sunday and plan on checking it today. This time, in addition to bay leaves, I added a few grape leaves to see if they’ll have any effect on crispness. Haven’t opened them yet but was planning on doing so today. The last ones, turned out good after 4 days on the counter then I finished them in the fridge.

Today, after 4 days
View attachment 76087
I did 8 quarts all using tea bags. Did a 5 day ferment and they all turned out great.

Yeah, they’re supposed to work well. I just can’t understand how they don’t add flavor or any color. At least that’s what I’ve read. I’m gonna try them next time, do you just use regular black tea bags. How many for a 1/2 gallon jar?

Yeah, they’re supposed to work well. I just can’t understand how they don’t add flavor or any color. At least that’s what I’ve read. I’m gonna try them next time, do you just use regular black tea bags. How many for a 1/2 gallon jar?
I used regular black orange pekoe teabags. I used 1 per quarter so probably use 2 per half gallon.

don't use mustard powder as the seeds work differently than powder. the powder will overwhelm the recipe in the same amount. check at day 4 and each day thereafter. you can stop by day 9, usually. the pickles will ferment still in the fridge. lmk if you have any additional concerns or questions.
appreciate the mustard tip......
so don't use any or be very gentle with using it....?
I was thinking horseradish like I said before, very small amount but not sure, I don't have pickling spice but was just going to use things like peppercorn, chili's, garlic stuff like that to get the flavors in there.....

appreciate the mustard tip......
so don't use any or be very gentle with using it....?
I was thinking horseradish like I said before, very small amount but not sure, I don't have pickling spice but was just going to use things like peppercorn, chili's, garlic stuff like that to get the flavors in there.....
Leave out the mustard powder. Be careful on the number of chili pods as they do impart flavor and quickly. So long as you have bay leaves, fresh garlic, peppercorns and fresh dill, you should be fine. The garlic is a forward tasting flavor. And IMO, I really like the garlic.

Thanks for the heads up.....I enjoy garlic in massive amounts, the MRS puts up with me........
Dill should be out right now too, I will have to look for it.

After 5 days. They’re getting there, still firm and nothing growing that shouldn’t be. I think I was a little light on the garlic and pickling spice this time. They seem less salty this time too even though I used the same 3.3%, I’ll reserve judgment on the final product until after a few days in the fridge.
No hot peppers in them this time, the wife thanked me!

B03D9544-2A83-4C4E-ADFA-3CCB32A8377E.png

After 5 days. They’re getting there, still firm and nothing growing that shouldn’t be. I think I was a little light on the garlic and pickling spice this time. They seem less salty this time too even though I used the same 3.3%, I’ll reserve judgment on the final product until after a few days in the fridge.
No hot peppers in them this time, the wife thanked me!

View attachment 76115
the cirby's thickness will effect the salt taste of the pickle. bigger cukes will taste less salty at the beginning of brining (so long as all your 3.3% of salt dissolved into the water before pouring the brine into the pickling vessel). and yeah, the chili peppers can and do add some pop to the pickles. you can always just cut a 1/4" piece of an Arbol to your brine which will make it almost imperceptible but it will add some flavor.

looks like you've mastered this recipe. glad you're liking them. i hope to find some cukes this weekend to brine.

Pickles are very firm during their spa treatment.
I used warm water to dilute the salt so just waiting for that to cool off….it is already measured and between a 2.9 and a 3.5….depending on how much I trust my measuring cup…..tastes salty for sure.
Figured I had too many pickles so jar number 2 is ready…a 1 litre mason.
Getting the seasoning all set up now, almost go time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4
Pickles are very firm during their spa treatment.
I used warm water to dilute the salt so just waiting for that to cool off….it is already measured and between a 2.9 and a 3.5….depending on how much I trust my measuring cup…..tastes salty for sure.
Figured I had too many pickles so jar number 2 is ready…a 1 litre mason.
Getting the seasoning all set up now, almost go time.
Perfect size cukes. You’ll do well so long as you’ve measured your salt in grams. And I’m betting you’re using pickling salt? Just no iodine in your salt!

Back