Kosher full sour garlic pickles - in about 7-9 days

Perfect size cukes. You’ll do well so long as you’ve measured your salt in grams. And I’m betting you’re using pickling salt? Just no iodine in your salt!
Yes, pickling salt, only ingredient in the box is salt.
I measured 66 grams of salt and made 2 litres of water……
Dissolved the salt, used bay leaves, pink and black peppercorns, 1 de arbol chili per, small amounts of mustard seed and pickling spice and about 4 cloves of garlic each.
Ran out of room and had to spear the last 4 cukes to fit them in a small mason jar.
We will see if cut cukes work because it saves so much space….I read that it does but we will see.
Everything is submerged, mason jars have the lid on them but the cap is not screwed on at all….these jars won’t move and hopefully they can vent themselves.
Think I did good, salinity included…..hope for the best, last time they went in the garbage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 7
Here's a good little article about making crunchy fermented pickles:

I'm getting some love but I am seriously nervous on the outcome.
Some of them are jammed in tight, either horizontal in the crock and vertical in the 1L mason jar......it fit 4 and I had to select the right 4 to get them in there and it was snug. Being snug makes me nervous as last time I was convinced that my outcome was based on them not having enough room.

Looking for advice from any successful pickle wizards......

I put them in on Saturday at about 5:30pm.......when I get home today they will be 4 days in......I see people working on 5 days and longer times.
Just looking for advice on how to take the next few days....I don't want to try them too often as I only have 14 good ones if it works out.

I'm getting some love but I am seriously nervous on the outcome.
Some of them are jammed in tight, either horizontal in the crock and vertical in the 1L mason jar......it fit 4 and I had to select the right 4 to get them in there and it was snug. Being snug makes me nervous as last time I was convinced that my outcome was based on them not having enough room.

Looking for advice from any successful pickle wizards......

I put them in on Saturday at about 5:30pm.......when I get home today they will be 4 days in......I see people working on 5 days and longer times.
Just looking for advice on how to take the next few days....I don't want to try them too often as I only have 14 good ones if it works out.
I have been putting them in the fridge after 4-5 days. I test the PH and try them. PH should be between 3.5 and 4.0 and I cut one open and taste.

So speared pickles first….soggy but good flavour……..pulled out a big one from the crock.
Mostly tastes like cucumber but less soggy.
Tossed the spears in the fridge and sealed them up, give the others a few more days.
Half sour might be what I am looking for?
This is day 4.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7
Day 6
What I learned today is cut cukes end up very soggy.
the one I cut 2 days ago wash mush, cut a new one and it still looks like a cuke…..
tastes pretty good to be honest.
Might just pull them tomorrow night and be happy with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
I just did another batch today, had to cut one in half lengthwise to get it to fit, first thing I thought was that it will probably end up mushy. Finished the last batch today and was happy with the firmness of the “last man standing.” My 13 year old granddaughter likes them and helped me make today’s jar.

558D2AE5-F8D2-4CCB-BBD6-ADA9A15A4D24.png

Day 6
What I learned today is cut cukes end up very soggy.
the one I cut 2 days ago wash mush, cut a new one and it still looks like a cuke…..
tastes pretty good to be honest.
Might just pull them tomorrow night and be happy with them.
i make mine in a container where the cukes are not packed tightly. i am wondering if your pre-packing them into a jar is causing pressure, thus sogginess. when i was a kid and was intrigued by the pro pickle makers, they all brined in large plastic barrels and only packed them when being sold. so i AM thinking that pre-packing, and the pressure on the pickle is having an adverse reaction and causing sogginess.

I just did another batch today, had to cut one in half lengthwise to get it to fit, first thing I thought was that it will probably end up mushy. Finished the last batch today and was happy with the firmness of the “last man standing.” My 13 year old granddaughter likes them and helped me make today’s jar.

View attachment 76829
Nicely done. Those tomatoes are gorgeous.

i make mine in a container where the cukes are not packed tightly. i am wondering if your pre-packing them into a jar is causing pressure, thus sogginess. when i was a kid and was intrigued by the pro pickle makers, they all brined in large plastic barrels and only packed them when being sold. so i AM thinking that pre-packing, and the pressure on the pickle is having an adverse reaction and causing sogginess.
I was saying that many posts ago…..I don’t know either but I suspect.
My issue is the container I am supposed to use is not big enough….so I would have to find something else.
kimchi and kraut work like a dream.
I made spears and they stayed quite crunchy.
Nice.,…….besides my point above, my only other hang up is having enough leaves around.
I know tannin is supposed to help, feels likeI barley used any.
Did you get some grape or cherry leaves or anything in your pickles?

My issue is the container I am supposed to use is not big enough….so I would have to find something else.

Nice.,…….besides my point above, my only other hang up is having enough leaves around.
I’m going to make some today. My vessel is a plastic Rubbermaid and I’ll use the saltwater in a ziplock trick to weigh the cubes down. It worked well the last time so I won’t deviate this time.

I used the ziplock technique last time, I liked it. We ran out of them so yesterday’s batch I went with a glass weight on top of a layer of grape leaves. Put a few more leaves on the bottom to cover the spices before I put the pickles in. I have plenty of grape leaves, I’m constantly trimming back grape vine that grows in the woods so it doesn’t take over our hedge!

BF9925B1-2BF3-4CBD-BD75-2CE6372B48A5.jpeg

I use black tea bags. 2 per quart

View attachment 76829
Have you ever tried fermented salsa? With those awesome tomatoes you can make something wonderful. Fermented salsa is the bomb and of course the probiotics are the bonus.

Have you ever tried fermented salsa? With those awesome tomatoes you can make something wonderful. Fermented salsa is the bomb and of course the probiotics are the bonus.
Actually, that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking! Gonna be making some gazpacho too!

Back