IMG_0519.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5
Looks good too….I had some mold on the top of one of my jars…..I just scooped it out and continued.
Will try one out tomorrow with dinner……they are for sure in the fridge and sealed better.

My batch came out quite good. They were the minis and I put them in the fridge after 4 days. I think I will try a vinegar batch next for the fun of it.

This being not my first round....I have something to compare to.
I will try one out tonight when I get home, they feel soft.....first time around they were just garbage but these feel better...ish.
So I can hope.....if it's not right they only option I feel could make a difference is more high quality leaves.....I believe the tannin may play a larger role than I anticipated......or maybe I have them bang on and I just don't like what I made.
Also I have no knowledge of using dry leaves vs a fresh pulled grape leaf for example.....I would like to know more about that.

9 days….felt soft but these came out real good…..lots of flavour, very tasty. I probably should have measured my ingredients.
So kind of soft but not mushy……my first success.
Also not spicy at all….1 pepper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
Just put up a batch of these. Looking forward to enjoying them next week, or sooner if it gets hot inside the house (79° is common indoor summer temp here).

Put these up on Saturday. Five days at around 79° inside the home. Around 75% sour already and CRUNCHY too.

The taste is spot on. Just as I remembered them as a kid in NY

1692928221698.jpeg

1692928236116.jpeg

1692928249743.jpeg

I hope these make it to Rosh Hashanah dinner which is a few weeks away still. That is, unless people find them in the fridge first. Must hide these in the garage fridge now.

Looking good!
I still have over half of mine.....the biggest ones are just barely done enough......the thinner ones have an extraordinary amount of flavor.
Its almost that time where the cukes are gone....I either have to do another batch this weekend or wait another 11 months....
Been eating them with very old cheese and hoppy ale's......

Looking good!
I still have over half of mine.....the biggest ones are just barely done enough......the thinner ones have an extraordinary amount of flavor.
Its almost that time where the cukes are gone....I either have to do another batch this weekend or wait another 11 months....
Been eating them with very old cheese and hoppy ale's......
Costco sells cocktail cukes. They’re small sized Persian cukes. These work well too and they’re hot house grown so available year round.

I put a batch in Sunday night and at Wednesday afternoon it is almost ready. Maybe one more day. It has a ph of 4.0 - I like it to be under 4.0. I tasted them and the hot peppers really added a nice kick.
20230830_140010.jpg20230830_140038.jpg20230830_140223.jpg

I put a batch in Sunday night and at Wednesday afternoon it is almost ready. Maybe one more day. It has a ph of 4.0 - I like it to be under 4.0. I tasted them and the hot peppers really added a nice kick.
View attachment 78043View attachment 78044View attachment 78045
i've never measured or paid any attention to pH so i'm of zero value to comment on that.

your fermentation color looks good. still a fair amount of white in the cuke. what's your ambient temp that you're fermenting in?

and is your dill (i assume it's dill) fresh or dried when you added it?

i put mine in the fridge and drank some of the juice this weekend. i love me some sour garlic pickle juice!!!

I have a range of testers for water, ph., TDS, and ORP. I read that as the fermentation progresses the ph goes down to be more acidic. 3-5 - 4.0 is good. Temp in house is 79°. Dried dill. I wanted these to be ready for bringing on a trip tomorrow. I may just bring them with me.

Yeah, from what I’ve read, 79 degrees will definitely speed up the process. I started some curry cauliflower on Sunday, gases definitely smell A LOT different than pickles! Lol! Hope they taste better than they smell…

027BA7E0-C865-4A8B-9FDD-D8BA1D7261E9.png

Back