Kosher full sour garlic pickles - in about 7-9 days

interesting. In making sour pickles or another type? How many days brining in your method?
This is for fermented dills. Brining takes 1 week. I use a seed heating mat set at 75F for a constant fermentation temperature.
Not sure of this is what you mean as "sour" dills. No vinegar is used.

This is for fermented dills. Brining takes 1 week. I use a seed heating mat set at 75F for a constant fermentation temperature.
Not sure of this is what you mean as "sour" dills. No vinegar is used.
I have had random thoughts of adding vinegar since it is acetic to the brining mixture. Since we are going for a final ph of 3.5-4, I am curious what would happen. Any idea about the idea?

I have had random thoughts of adding vinegar since it is acetic to the brining mixture. Since we are going for a final ph of 3.5-4, I am curious what would happen. Any idea about the idea?
There's no need to add vinegar. You can hit your target pH with just the brining.

This recipe is for Jewish style sour pickles. There’s no vinegar in naturally fermented kosher sour pickles. Dill pickles are totally different.

The core notes in this recipe is the garlic, and then some dill weed and pickling spices and bay leaves.

The Arbol pepper gives a little heat boost and is optional.

I know nothing of making a “dill” naturally fermented pickle.

The brine listed here and also be used to make green sour tomatoes too (unripened tomatoes).

I was just thinking a little vinegar would be like hitting them hard and fast, not giving them time to get mushy. My vinegar based ones in the fridge stay crunchy. Just a thought.

This recipe is for Jewish style sour pickles. There’s no vinegar in naturally fermented kosher sour pickles. Dill pickles are totally different.

The core notes in this recipe is the garlic, and then some dill weed and pickling spices and bay leaves.

The Arbol pepper gives a little heat boost and is optional.

I know nothing of making a “dill” naturally fermented pickle.

The brine listed here and also be used to make green sour tomatoes too (unripened tomatoes).
Interesting. I'm Ukrainian and my grandparents came over to Western Canada in the late 1920s. A fermented cucumber wilh garlic and dill is what they called a dill pickle and what I grew up with calling it a dill pickle.

Interesting. I'm Ukrainian and my grandparents came over to Western Canada in the late 1920s. A fermented cucumber wilh garlic and dill is what they called a dill pickle and what I grew up with calling it a dill pickle.
My roots are also Ukrainian. Your description is a dill pickle. A sour pickle is slightly different with more spices, and garlic and some dill weed.

In this recipe, the garlic is somewhat pronounced.

Try it if you’re up to it. You can make a small batch at the ingredients scale based on your vessel. Just premix your water to the salinity level and pour it over your packed cucumbers.

My roots are also Ukrainian. Your description is a dill pickle. A sour pickle is slightly different with more spices, and garlic and some dill weed.

In this recipe, the garlic is somewhat pronounced.

Try it if you’re up to it. You can make a small batch at the ingredients scale based on your vessel. Just premix your water to the salinity level and pour it over your packed cucumbers.
We use a lot of garlic! Just ask the families that say beside us at Midnight Mass.
Here is the the one room house that my mother grew up in with here 7 siblings. Eastern Alberta.
20161102_152545.jpg

Attachments

• 20161102_152545.jpeg
    20161102_152545.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 2
I started these last Wednesday and put them in the fridge on Sunday. Had these for lunch today, full sour in my opinion. Still some crunch, definitely not mushy. Full sours are never really crunchy. I’m very happy with them for my first attempt.
Did some dilly beans last night, less garlic and pickling spice. Maybe they’ll be a Bloody Mary garnish, we’ll see…

464CBFBA-CF71-44E6-9E92-A5FC31EC45E6.jpeg
C0235B37-89F1-42FD-8CEB-81944A953B90.jpeg

So I put some of my fermented pickles in with the sweet and hot vinegar type ones I got at the market and guess what.....They firmed up and were much better. Who knew?

I started these last Wednesday and put them in the fridge on Sunday. Had these for lunch today, full sour in my opinion. Still some crunch, definitely not mushy. Full sours are never really crunchy. I’m very happy with them for my first attempt.
Did some dilly beans last night, less garlic and pickling spice. Maybe they’ll be a Bloody Mary garnish, we’ll see…

View attachment 75468
View attachment 75469
That full green color penetration is a full sour. You hit a HomeRun there. Nicely done!

When I get home I’m going to have to whip up a batch. Enjoy your success! Glad this worked out well for you.

View attachment 75468
View attachment 75469
Nice job - Let us know if they get softer in the fridge before they are all eaten.

Nice job - Let us know if they get softer in the fridge before they are all eaten.
Just finished them today! A couple did have some mushy spots, but I think that had more to do with the cucumber itself than the fermentation process. Overall, I think they pretty much stayed the same while in the fridge.
Just started a new batch today, added some grape leaves in addition to the bay. We’ll see how these turn out…

2389CAC0-AA5D-416A-8DA6-BABBCA35DBD4.png

They look much greener than mine when done. Do you happen to know the PH? How long did you ferment them?
If you’re referring to the picture above in post #78, they are a new batch that I started today. I had just put the lid on! The pic in post #44 was after 4 days on the counter, I put them in the fridge after that. Never checked the ph

After 4 days
EE8136C0-4766-4894-87DF-F3C6C9DE3623.jpeg

Back