Kosher full sour garlic pickles - in about 7-9 days

My crock for fermenting is similar to the picture below.
Uses 2 cast clay type weights and the lid sits in a water ring....like a moat and needs to be topped off every couple of days.
Gases come out and nothing else gets in.
I use if for sauerkraut all the time, been considering trying pickles again and also kimchi.
My baby dills aren't in season up here yet but they soon will be.....maybe if I try Brett's method identically I can have better results.
My method works, I use the ice bath as well but maybe pickle selection and timing could be better.
My size looks to be about a gallon, and they had one about 5 times the size too for serious jobs.
I can get a bunch of pickles in there at once.

1689857847011.png

If you were going to get serious and get a couple of crock's like above you could have a steady stream of fermented items on hand at all times...
I would recommend one of these if you were to take that route....I bought one and its a dream to use.
They call them pickle packers I think, I call it a sauerkraut smasher......
Both ends are different diameters.
I believe it fits mason jars too.....if you wanted to keep making smaller batches.

1689858306124.png

I think the warm weather may have quite an impact. Our house is about 10 degrees warmer in summer than winter.

How was the taste and crunch?
Taste was good, may have gone a little overboard with the amount of dried chile de arbols I put in. Wife thought they were a bit spicy. Still have a bit of crunch, definitely not mushy. I’m happy with them for a first attempt. I think I’m calling them done. Putting them in the fridge, from what I understand, they will continue to ferment but much slower. I’m gonna do another batch and let them go a bit longer.

Taste was good, may have gone a little overboard with the amount of dried chile de arbols I put in. Wife thought they were a bit spicy. Still have a bit of crunch, definitely not mushy. I’m happy with them for a first attempt. I think I’m calling them done. Putting them in the fridge, from what I understand, they will continue to ferment be much slower. I’m gonna do another batch and let them go a bit longer.
Pull and toss the arbols at this stage. And yes, goto the fridge and they’ll still develop, although more slowly.

The brine is pretty healthy to drink. Full of natural probiotics. Enjoy!

Taste was good, may have gone a little overboard with the amount of dried chile de arbols I put in. Wife thought they were a bit spicy. Still have a bit of crunch, definitely not mushy. I’m happy with them for a first attempt. I think I’m calling them done. Putting them in the fridge, from what I understand, they will continue to ferment but much slower. I’m gonna do another batch and let them go a bit longer.
I did put mine in the fridge after 4 days and they did get mushier. I would be interested in knowing how yours do, or finding away to stop the fermentation.

Sea salt. I think 2Tbs post qt.
I recommend pickling salt. And I recommend measuring by weight in metric to get the salinity in this recipe should you choose to try it.

The type of salt will effect the pickling process. And the salinity is key to the recipe. I spent many years futzing with this recipe to get the taste from my memories. And I read a lot on fermenting these.

There’s a bunch of science going on here. Adding more bay leaves will add the needed anti-mushing you seek. See my previous post on stopping mushy pickling.

Last edited:
I recommend picking salt. And I recommend measuring by weight in metric to get the salinity in this recipe should you choose to try it.

The type of salt will effect the pickling process. And the salinity is key to the recipe. I spent many years futzing with this recipe to get the taste from my memories. And I read a lot on fermenting these.

There’s a bunch of science going on here. Adding more bay leaves will add the needed anti-mushing you seek. See my previous post on stopping mushy pickling.
I did add 2 extra bay leaves last time with no real affect that I could tell. I did not know about pickling salt and will have to investigate. I was thinking of adding only 1.5TBSPs next time.

I did add 2 extra bay leaves last time with no real affect that I could tell. I did not know about pickling salt and will have to investigate. I was thinking of adding only 1.5TBSPs next time.
I use a 4 to 4.5% brine depending on the size of the cukes. I add black tea bag for the tannin to maintain crunch.

Back