Kosher full sour garlic pickles - in about 7-9 days

Plastic barrels are the standard for large production of sour pickles. Non reactive and can be sanitized between batches.
Thanks for the info...........

When I made mine I took a longer approach I guess, they were what I would call fully fermented. Did the cold water bath ect.
I haven't done them in a couple years now I guess......they came out more mushy than crisp as they sat in the brine for a considerable amount of time. Next time I will come back and check out some of your methods.
I use the stone " crock " it may be called mainly for doing cabbage. A weighed amount of salt per weight of cabbage. Hand squeezed to prepare it's own juices, fermented and sauerkraut of course. When the cabbage comes cheap I do a couple batches and that produces about 8 jars. Keeping in the fridge in the brine I can get that stuff to last 12 months easy if I need it to. It just turns slightly darker in colour as time passes.

The stone crock is nice, it has vents around the rim that sits in a water " moat " I guess and the pressure will relieve itself as needed similar as to when you would brew beer with the valve, its a one way operation.

Day 7.

Today’s the sample day, I believe.

1662860698184.jpeg

1662860755876.jpeg

1662860773814.jpeg

1662860790150.jpeg

So I chose one of the less bumpy ones as they usually have more water in them versus the skinner, bumper cukes.

Color and nose are perfect. A little soft in the mid section (sounds like many of us here, I bet).

1662860855528.jpeg

Definitely at half-sour status in the mid section. The hollowness is due to the excess water the cuke had being more mature when I bought it. It’s still good and safe to eat like this. I’ve seen this before.

The green areas are pickled. The white area have not fully brined yet.

1662861009143.jpeg

Fully sliced

1662861090442.jpeg

A closeup so you can see more details of how these look.

1662861169567.jpeg

Taste is perfect. I’m very happy with the results. I’ll let these go another 2-3 days and then fridge them to slow the ferment. We’ll be eating these with a smoked brisket for Jewish New Years dinner.

Thanks for following along. Hopefully you learned something of value or new here.

Go Niners! Season opener is tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 1662860719171.jpeg
    1662860719171.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • 1662860727380.jpeg
    1662860727380.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 0
Day 14

Full sour status achieved. Into the fridge to stop the ferment and chill for dinner service next Sunday eve.

To all who celebrate, wishing you a Shana Tovah! May your new year be filled with health, happiness, family and peace on earth.

1663554723309.jpeg

1663554740454.jpeg

Day 3

The smell of fresh pickle garlic. OMG. I’m already excited for what’s going on.

Burped the container a little to allow the gasses to escape. Nice cloudy brine is forming. If you know a garlic sour pickle, these would make your nose happy.

View attachment 58913

View attachment 58914

View attachment 58915

View attachment 58916
Sadly, my cukes didn't do well this year so no fermented dills. Peppers did great so got a batch of Ripe Jalapeños/Habaneros for hot sauce fermenting. Pretty much just doing that, Kimchi and sauerkraut this fall.

[ ]

Sadly, my cukes didn't do well this year so no fermented dills. Peppers did great so got a batch of Ripe Jalapeños/Habaneros for hot sauce fermenting. Pretty much just doing that, Kimchi and sauerkraut this fall.

[ ]
How do you like to prep/brine your hot peppers? I usually do a stovetop 1:1 acv/water and cook for 4 mins and then let cool and then tub ‘em down into containers.

Went to a local farmers market yesterday, they had some nice Kirby cukes so I got a couple lbs. Gonna give these pickles a shot!

View attachment 75009
They look like they will be great. I have been doing a bunch myself with the same container and lid. My problem is that they come out way too mushy for me. The only batch that came out crunchy were the little thin organic ones. I like the texture of the vinegar refrigerator ones much better than the fermented. Any words of wisdom for getting them crunchy? I even tried reducing the time to about 4 days, down from a week.

I will agree with you, I have never had them come out as crunchy as I would like the to be.....
Taste is great but fairly mushy.

If that jar is sealed above I believe you will need to crack it every day......

When I do whole cukes versus spears I do a 4% brine. Just put up 7 quarts 2 days a go.

Also am trying a fermented rhubarb started yesterday. Will give updates.

They look like they will be great. I have been doing a bunch myself with the same container and lid. My problem is that they come out way too mushy for me. The only batch that came out crunchy were the little thin organic ones. I like the texture of the vinegar refrigerator ones much better than the fermented. Any words of wisdom for getting them crunchy? I even tried reducing the time to about 4 days, down from a week.
It’s my first attempt, we’ll see…
I followed @Brett-EDH advise about using the smaller bumpier pickles and soaked them in an ice bath for a couple hours first. I like them all ways, half-sour and crunchy or full sour and usually not so crunchy.

If you’re using Kirby’s, the skin must be bumpy and not smooth. Smooth skinned ones are too ripe and have too much water in them.

I buy my Kirby cubes at the farmers market where I can choose the skinniest cukes, and bumpiest.

Using any fat, big and smooth ones are guaranteed to be like mush due to their water content.

Other trick is to ribs clean your bumpy ones and place them in an ice bath right before placing them into your brine.

Ice bath of 30 minutes is usually enough to help firm them up pre brining.

Hope this helps.

And read this for an extra tip:

I will agree with you, I have never had them come out as crunchy as I would like the to be.....
Taste is great but fairly mushy.

If that jar is sealed above I believe you will need to crack it every day......
It’s one of the fancy ones that lets the gas escape.

68E8283B-CC4C-45BF-834B-4AD33366CF69.jpeg

Back