Kingsford crazy smoke

IMO, KPro offs a substantial black acrid smoke on fresh lighting. Deep black sooty smoke. I have observed less sooty smoke when using natural lump. My goto is JDXL and find it to be a clean burning smoke. Smoke is smoke and will adhere to any ceiling. I don't think that's avoidable. However, natural lump produces less soot and less stinky smoke, from my own light-up sessions. Install a box fan so at least you'll vent your smoke through the screens and less to the ceiling.
I had a box fan rigged up at my last house and will probably do the same again. I would love to rig up proper exhaust fan sometime.

I'm curious to know why KF Original produces so much smoke when you light it in a chimney, but when you pour lit coals over a bed of unlit coals (aka minion method) the unlit coals ignite, the unlit coals don't produce the same level of smoke??? :unsure:

I've heard this theory.

In a chimney, you are lighting up a whole bunch of coals all at once in a short amount of time and with lots of oxygen flowing through. And those coals are all cold. So you get a lot of smoke.

In a Minion pile, only a small amount of new coal is being lit up at any one time. And those new coals are already hot when they get lit up. So you get less smoke.

I've heard the same theory for why it is good to bury wood chunks. They are pre-heated before they catch fire.

Sounds plausible I guess.

I'm curious to know why KF Original produces so much smoke when you light it in a chimney, but when you pour lit coals over a bed of unlit coals (aka minion method) the unlit coals ignite, the unlit coals don't produce the same level of smoke??? :unsure:

I've heard this theory.

In a chimney, you are lighting up a whole bunch of coals all at once in a short amount of time and with lots of oxygen flowing through. And those coals are all cold. So you get a lot of smoke.

In a Minion pile, only a small amount of new coal is being lit up at any one time. And those new coals are already hot when they get lit up. So you get less smoke.

I've heard the same theory for why it is good to bury wood chunks. They are pre-heated before they catch fire.

Sounds plausible I guess.
There may be a lot of truth in that. Have a look at post #2 in this thread, starting at about 5:50...there is little or no smoke when he opens it up and then the air hits it, and in less than a minute when he closes it back up it's starting to smoke quite a bit.

I see some Cowboy briquettes available not far from me for $8.99 for 14 pounds…not bad. I’m going to give it a try!
I bought a ****-ton of Cowboy briquettes, on sale at Costco last year. They were practically giving it away. I've been very happy with it.

Cowboy lump? That's another story. It's crap.

"During startup, each charcoal produced a similar amount of smoke, but the Kingsford Professional’s smoke was whiter than the others."

View attachment 48516
just noticed, but that WSC looks mighty clean and new. when are you going to cook on it and report back? maybe i'm too new here still but i don't recall any cooks of yours on that shiny new grill :cool:

just noticed, but that WSC looks mighty clean and new. when are you going to cook on it and report back? maybe i'm too new here still but i don't recall any cooks of yours on that shiny new grill :cool:
I don't use it much. Just a few cooks posted in the Photo Gallery.

There's something with the weather that can make it much worse. I don't know if it's air pressure or humidity or just the wind, but there are times that smoke just lingers no matter what brand you use. I find that timing on charcoal is more important a lot times than the brand. Getting it really well lit is important for a sear. I've gotten the best results with Kingsford a lot of times for reasons that Chris stated in his videos. There's times, that you want longevity even for direct heat cooking. Maybe you are also cooking some sides or doing some indirect or a minion. Then I might want something else, but in those cases, Kingsford usually works fine as well. You might just control your vents differently. That said I've got bags of Weber, Franklin, B&B, Kingsford, and B&B lump. I've used various Royal Oak products as well as Jealous devil. The only one I won't buy again is Cowboy lump. I get it if some rocks are in there, but I had actual plastic in a bag once and I was done with that forever.

There's something with the weather that can make it much worse. I don't know if it's air pressure or humidity or just the wind, but there are times that smoke just lingers no matter what brand you use. I find that timing on charcoal is more important a lot times than the brand. Getting it really well lit is important for a sear. I've gotten the best results with Kingsford a lot of times for reasons that Chris stated in his videos. There's times, that you want longevity even for direct heat cooking. Maybe you are also cooking some sides or doing some indirect or a minion. Then I might want something else, but in those cases, Kingsford usually works fine as well. You might just control your vents differently. That said I've got bags of Weber, Franklin, B&B, Kingsford, and B&B lump. I've used various Royal Oak products as well as Jealous devil. The only one I won't buy again is Cowboy lump. I get it if some rocks are in there, but I had actual plastic in a bag once and I was done with that forever.
Great post!
I think that the humidity may have something to with it.
Agreed on the Cowboy lump. It's garbage. In addition to the high volume of smaller pieces, and the ensuing sparks, I've found rocks, nails, etc.
The briquettes, on the other hand, are fine.

Great post!
I think that the humidity may have something to with it.
Agreed on the Cowboy lump. It's garbage. In addition to the high volume of smaller pieces, and the ensuing sparks, I've found rocks, nails, etc.
The briquettes, on the other hand, are fine.
I am guessing you are not the intended consumer as a "real" cowboy would love sparks and nails;-)

All I can tell you is if I light a fire chimney with Kingsford I have to change my clothes and take a shower....... It's that awful. Once it burns down and ashes over it's fine.

Thats not much smoke, you should see my Pitboss smoke when I start it up lol. also can make it go bang by leaving the lid down, showy performance for the spectators lol

All I can tell you is if I light a fire chimney with Kingsford I have to change my clothes and take a shower....... It's that awful. Once it burns down and ashes over it's fine.
I feel the same way after using my kettle or WSM - Like me and my clothes need a washing, gas cooking not so much.

I believe it's all to do with the briq being subjected to a naked flame. Different brands of briqs will produce different amounts of smoke due to the additives that are contained within the briq. (Some use sawdust, brown coal, sodium nitrate, mineral carbon, limestone etc). Agree that humidity having a baring on smoke production. In my experience, when firing up a chimney, once the firelighter has gone out the billowing smoke stops.
We all know we don't get that acrid smoke when doing the Minion method, as the unlit briqs are not subjected to a naked flame.
My 0.02p
Edit: I have some coco-shell briqs that for the first five minutes in the chimney my neighbour could be forgiven for thinking I was burning an old car tyre! 💨💨💨

Last edited:
Perhaps I’m the only one that feels a tiny bit of fond remembrance from my childhood with the initial smoke from blue bag? Growing up, I’m sure there were other charcoals around, but my father swore by KBB. And that smell. Damn.

I know I’ve spent an excessively large amount of money trying all forms of coals (other than KBB) for cooking. Why? Because every BBQ forum I belong to keeps trying to bash into my head that the only thing worse than KBB is Match Light. So, to be “on the right side,” I’ve seriously tried them all; various forms of briquettes from various manufacturers, many, many, many (too freaking many) forms of lump from stores and the internet and from different states and countries, binchotan, coconut shells and husks, raw wood in various flavors.

All that just to ALWAYS come back round to KBB. What a colossal waste of money. I spent all that to personally come to the realization that grilling/smoking/whatever has very little to do with the actual cook but rather everything to do with the one doing the cooking. The one in control, if they’re really in control, can always make something out of next to nothing. Of course, this is strictly my opinion and YMMV, but give me that yard full of smoke any day, any time of the year. My neighbors don’t have to wait till I’m halfway through my cook to know I’m rocking it at the Weber…they know almost immediately because the block is filled with smoke and they can’t escape that smell that takes them all back to their childhood.

Back