Weber Master Touch Premium alternatives

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have noticed the Master Touch Premium Weber offers. The hinge seems like a great idea, but gets uneven reviews. The rest seems like mostly doodads to me, EXCEPT I am attracted to the diffuser/coal ring combination that, if it works, would give you more indirect cooking then say with a Smoke N Sear.

Does anyone here have one of these who can comment on how well it works?

Second, does anyone know of a way to get a similar setup to add to a “regular” Weber kettle. If it does work, I would like to setup my “platypus” with a set. I can’t find a way to buy it separately.

Not sure about dimensions and stuff, but perhaps the charcoal ring from a 22” WSM, and a pizza pan as a diffuser?

I have shared here often how much I love my Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System.
I got mine a while back during a big sale, but I love it.
I have my WSM 14, I recently got the slow and sear deluxe (which I have done two true low and slow cooks on it), and I have my Aura. Don't tell anyone else here, but I really think my favorite way to do low and slow is with my Aura system with the ceramic diffuser plates and SS grstes. It doesn't have the charcoal ring, but I just load up the bottom grate with charcoal, throw a large amount of wood on their and go for it.
I love the lid bale, and don't see any reason why I would want a hinge over the bale.

This thread might be a good one to read. Several cool add ons.

I got mine a while back during a big sale, but I love it.
I have my WSM 14, I recently got the slow and sear deluxe (which I have done two true low and slow cooks on it), and I have my Aura. Don't tell anyone else here, but I really think my favorite way to do low and slow is with my Aura system with the ceramic diffuser plates and SS grstes. It doesn't have the charcoal ring, but I just load up the bottom grate with charcoal, throw a large amount of wood on their and go for it.
I love the lid bale, and don't see any reason why I would want a hinge over the bale.
Michael,

Thanks for posting about the Aura. That is a pretty interesting alternative. Looks like a way higher quality way to go. $125 is less than what a decent stainless grate and any kind of shield would together cost. I would look at this as an alternative to a SNS and fold-up grate (which I still like very much). Looks like you would get considerably more real estate for low and slow bbqing with the Aura setup.

How does this compare with GrillGrate?

Spreading briquettes between charcoal baskets and setting a stockpot lid or griddle on top - and then setting the cooking grate in place works fine too.
I do really appreciate this guy's setup:

see the second post of this thread.
Horsman made a great video - if I hadn't seen it then I might never have started minion/deflector cooking on my kettle. That's why I enjoy this forum so much - is finding creative ways to cook on simple equipment.

Making a basket and the special deflector is a bit complex, personal opinion. The technique is definitely sound and fun to fiddle with (for my purpose).

I tried putting a 18" WSM charcoal ring in a 22" kettle and was not impressed. Maybe that would be neato if you need a large searing/high heat cooking zone and have a 2nd kettle going for lower temp cooking but I can't imagine another scenario where this set up would have any advantages. Of course, I didn't try putting a diffuser plate on top of the ring, but I really wasn't thinking along those lines a few years ago when I tried that.

I think the hinge on the MTP* is overkill, the bale on the performer is plenty good. I think the main benefit of the diffuser ring and diffuser plate that weber is offering with the MTP is that it increases the grill area for indirect cooks/smoking, without the need to bank charcoal along the outer wall of the kettle. In this system, all the diffuser ring really does is gives you a place to rest the diffuser plate.... so, if you want a larger indirect cooking surface area, I'd probably go with Michael's recommendation.

If Weber is not already offering it, the hinge needs to go on the 26" kettle, the hinge on the 22" is really goofy IMO. Not sure who dreamed that up. All I can say is that engineers/product managers in any company seldom pay attention to the people who actually sell, and seldom do they really listen to people who buy and use.

Horsman made a great video - if I hadn't seen it then I might never have started minion/deflector cooking on my kettle. That's why I enjoy this forum so much - is finding creative ways to cook on simple equipment.

Making a basket and the special deflector is a bit complex, personal opinion. The technique is definitely sound and fun to fiddle with (for my purpose).
OEM Weber P/N 685814 Diffuser plate assy, pretty expensive compared to a pizza pan.

OEM Weber P/N 685814 Diffuser plate assy, pretty expensive compared to a pizza pan.
That's crazy compared to the Aura system where you get a CERAMIC diffuser AND a set of stainless grates for $!25. I suppose Weber is trying to protect the "exclusivity" of the Master Touch Premium, but I think they are missing out by not visibly offering their diffuser setup at a reasonable price for their huge customer base to use as an upgrade to their existing kettles. I might pay $50 which should give them plenty of profit on two simple pieces of metal.

EDIT: I looked again and saw that this was really intended for the Summit charcoal grill. That partly explains the high price tag (though not fair) but also raises the question of whether it will fit in a 22" kettle. It may well be the same.

Maybe someone here who has both a Summit and a 22" kettle can chime in?

Last edited:
Michael,

Thanks for posting about the Aura. That is a pretty interesting alternative. Looks like a way higher quality way to go. $125 is less than what a decent stainless grate and any kind of shield would together cost. I would look at this as an alternative to a SNS and fold-up grate (which I still like very much). Looks like you would get considerably more real estate for low and slow bbqing with the Aura setup.

Jon,
The Aura really does offer a LOT more space then the SnS.
I have the two kettles now, the one is set up with the Aura and the other is with the SnS and Killagrilla grate. I love the SnS for everyday cooks and for reverse sear and (like so many others have shared before I ever got SnS) it has not left my MT kettle since it was placed in there. However, after two true low and slow cooks with the SnS, I don't think I will be doing many more true low and slow cooks with it. I know that so many here love that set up and I don't mean to disagree or argue with anyone with this comment, but both of the low and slow cooks I have done with the SnS lacked the smoke flavor that I get with my WSM or the AKZCS. The capacity and the quality of the cook will have me doing my low and slows in the AKZCS or the WSM depending on the mood and particular cook.

Here is the thread we're I unboxed my "open box" version of the AKZCS.

10 months later it is still in great condition.

That's crazy compared to the Aura system where you get a CERAMIC diffuser AND a set of stainless grates for $!25. I suppose Weber is trying to protect the "exclusivity" of the Master Touch Premium, but I think they are missing out by not visibly offering their diffuser setup at a reasonable price for their huge customer base to use as an upgrade to their existing kettles. I might pay $50 which should give them plenty of profit on two simple pieces of metal.

EDIT: I looked again and saw that this was really intended for the Summit charcoal grill. That partly explains the high price tag (though not fair) but also raises the question of whether it will fit in a 22" kettle. It may well be the same.

Maybe someone here who has both a Summit and a 22" kettle can chime in?
Yeah my bad that diffuser is for the Summit. I can't find the 22" diffuser for sale anywhere.

How well does the diffuser really work? I could imagine problems with it radiating heat into what you are cooking. The original summit diffuser actually had an air gap. the kamado and mastertouch ones do not.

Back