Kicking tires for a new Kettle Grill - Differences in Vent/Ash Systems?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
I've got some Ace Gift Certs "burning a hole in my pocket" and thinking about getting a new Charcoal Grill with Spring coming (eventually...)

Most of my parents and one of my old Weber Kettles had the "Daisy Wheel" vents - which although they could occasionally drop hot coals, were easy to regulate and maintain.

Most of my recent experience with the "One Touch" system has been on the low-end versions (at some cabins that we rent when we go "up North" for some "mental enema time"...) One thing that I have noticed with most of these is that the lever and vent leaves are inevitably siezed-up and non-operational. :( Part of this could be that these grills tend to get abused or improperly maintained.

:confused: Are there differences in the materials used for the lever mechanism / charcoal scraper / vent controls on the "better" (Gold, Platinum, Performer) vs the "cheaper" versions (One-Touch Silver, etc.)? Are some made from Stainless vs galvanized? Or to these things last better with an occasional dab of high-temp grease or something like that? [Anybody wish that they still made the Daisy-Wheel version? I suspect that it would work better for Zone Cooking.]

I now turn to the Borg Collective that is TVWBB - Enlighten me / bring me "up to speed"

Ron,
I'm pretty sure they are all the same material etc.
I bought my Performer used in '09, I think it's an '07 model, and I've used the heck out of it with no problems at all with the sweepers.
My coal grate is original too, it's warped but solid.

I was sweeping ashes last night and thought the rod had broken off the sweeper arms since they moved so freely, but it hadn't.
I've used a fair amount of lump lately and small pieces fall through the grate where they get ground up by the sweepers, it was free of those last night.

IMGP3859.JPG

I think they are all the same, you could verify by comparing part number on different models on the web site.

I have had the sweepers bind only when I have allowed the residual barbecue sauce to brick up on the sides. Other than freeing them up with a simple cleaning, my old platinum still works just fine. It only gets bad when I have really been lazy and just let crud amass in quantity.

I think they are aluminized steel but have seen or read on SS versions available on some models or as a replacement?
I also think I saw the daisy wheels are still offered in Europe.. Bummer cause I'd buy one again.
I don't like how the ash can removes on the new OTG. You have to squeeze the handle to get it to unlock then twist it open. On my 06 all you have to do is lift it up to unlock, then twist.
OBTW nice to see you back on the board Ron.:cool:
Tim

Like many here I have a few grills/smokers, however, if I could only have one of my beauties it would be hands down the Platinum Performer. You can grill, you can smoke, you can even rotisserie if you have the tools. The table and the gas start has spoiled me something terrible. When it comes to the swappers seizing up, that's caused from build up of junk. Using a plastic putty knife to clear the buildup will allow the swappers to move freely. Give the Platinum Performer a close look, you won't be sorry you did. Good luck with your choice.
Bill

Like many here I have a few grills/smokers, however, if I could only have one of my beauties it would be hands down the Platinum Performer. You can grill, you can smoke, you can even rotisserie if you have the tools. The table and the gas start has spoiled me something terrible. When it comes to the swappers seizing up, that's caused from build up of junk. Using a plastic putty knife to clear the buildup will allow the swappers to move freely. Give the Platinum Performer a close look, you won't be sorry you did. Good luck with your choice.
Bill

Got to agree with Bill, Platinum Performer is the way to go, makes using charcoal as easy as a gasser. I like them so much I have two of them.
As far as the one touch goes I cooked some chicken indirect one night and some pork the next. It was about three days because of the weather before I could get out to it to clean out the ashes. That sweeper was locked up tighter than an old geezers wallet from all the grease, had to use a putty knife under each blade to break the bond.. So now I always put tin foil under the food if cooking indirect.

As Rich has mentioned grease is the only thing that has ever slowed down my ash sweeps, I did a slow pork cook when i first got my performer and i knew little to nothing about charcoal and slow cooking, well the pork came out sort of of OK but like Rich i did not use my cooker for a couple days and she was grease locked i cleaned it and started using the foil pans from the dollar store so i can add a bit of water while i am cooking my chicken and if i do not have a pan i foil the grate on the indirect side.
But it is hard to beat a performer for all it can do with the right toys it is a amazing cooker, and fun to.

Thanks for the information, gang -

So, it appears that with the sweeper being essentially the same, maybe some of the difference that I have seen can be accounted for the bottom of the Grill being better protected by the ash-catcher design on the Platinum & Performer, and also being more "sheltered" by the table on the Performer. One-touch is more exposed and I suspect that water runs down to the outside of the bottom of the bowl and gets into the lever / bearing for the sweeper-vent more easily than it would on the higher-end models. (That and being used by Renters rather than owners...)

Performer Platinum it will be SOON [AND the Rotisserie]! (Now, just have to decide on the color. I have Gift Certs for Ace, but I think that they only have access to certain colors. I saw one in the "Copper" at Omhe Epode and liked the look of that one. Anybody know what colors are available to Ace in the US?

Ace sells a beautiful Red PP. They call it Red but it's kind of a reddish maroon. I like it and you may also, take a look and see what you think.

Bill

If the copper had been available back when I bought mine, that's the one! Or, maybe maroon,well there's a nice green no, black! Since my 18 1/2 is maroon and the original kettle on the pre performer is black, I would get a new color next time around.
I need to get some paint in the leg extensions then do the umbrella "Foot" and the "Kalamagrilla" will be complete, oh, I forgot about the solar lights on the umbrella but, that's kind of implied I guess, once it's really complete, I will post pictures.

The planets must be aligned :)

Checked with Ace - My local store HAS the copper one in-stock (at least, their computer says they do). They're checking for me.
If they do, it will be MINE this weekend. Also gonna' splurge on the Rotisserie. If it all comes through - maybe I'll be able to post some pics. (Sorry Chris - picking this one up locally - I got over 2/3 of it paid for in Gift Certs from my B-Day last year. Otherwise, I would be using the Amazon link. I think you can appreciate my situation!)

Looking forward to some good grilling to go with the WSM & Weber Gasser
(I USED to wonder how so many members own multiple grills / smokers / etc - guess I'll be "committed to the asylum with my fellow "nuts" sooner than I ever imagined :p)

Last edited:
Ron;
I predict that you will LOVE the new Performer. I have both a gas ignition Performer and a new (close out for a song) Performer without the gas. I would be happy with either. The gas ignition for obvious reasons and the "no gas" works just fine using one Weber fire starter under the Weber chimney. A person could argue that the no-gas has an advantage - there are less air leaks from around the gas pipe so you can possibly maintain temperature better when doing indirect grilling and smoking. Me, I honestly don't care as long as they are Performers!

Dale53

Pulled the trigger and brought it home - assembly to follow tomorrow.

Now, only problem is that I need a Copper-color Performer icon to update my profile. (Hint, hint, hint...)
Are included screws / bolts Stainless? If not, I may start with a run to the hardware store. I am sure that the stuff Weber includes is fine, but Stainless makes Service / Mods easier if I choose to do so in the future.

Gonna be looking for something "special" for the first cook.

Congrats on that Performer Ron. I'm getting the same one. We're just waiting on our bonus payout.

(Sorry Chris - picking this one up locally - I got over 2/3 of it paid for in Gift Certs from my B-Day last year. Otherwise, I would be using the Amazon link. I think you can appreciate my situation!)
I totally understand! In the future, please use our link anytime you shop at Amazon for anything...every item no matter how small helps support the forum. :)

Ron
Feel free ton use my icon. You are going to love your Performer.
I am supporting a bag a week habit since I bought it. A bag of Stubb's charcoal a week.:D

Back