Kettle + Vortex Tandoori Chicken

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
I held off on buying a Vortex because I have lots of other toys err... grilling accessories. With that being said, I'm finding uses for it.

Looking for some inspiration over @ www.simplyrecipes.com, I saw a Tandoori chicken recipe and decided to try it. The only changes I made was to salt the chicken thighs and add the lime juice several hours before the rest of the ingredients. You can think of it as a 2 stage marinade. I also added a lot more red Chile.

I've been using my old green war horse for the Vortex. The lack of a thermometer in the lid might be a good thing considering the column of hot air coming up out of the Vortex cone. The temp outside tonight was 41 F - less than half of what it was just a couple days ago.

IMG_0455.jpeg

I rotated the leg quarters once during the cook, and at 40 minutes they were measuring between 163 and 178 so they got pulled off.

IMG_0456.jpeg

Maybe some day I'll add the red food coloring restaurants use, but these were very tasty. Plenty of Chile wallop to get my nose running. Basmati rice and some Trader Joe's Tikka vegetables were the sides. I think the Vortex and the old war horse did well tonight.

IMG_0458.jpeg

Everybody have a great week!

Gorgeous cook Greg. I took a look at the link you provided. Like that recipe and have set it aside. Like the looks of those Tikka veggies. Haven't been to Trader Joe's this year due to the virus. You've gotten me in a Tandoori kind of way.

Great job! Was just thinking the other day that it's been too long since I've cooked Tandoori chicken. Perhaps it's now time.

looks great! Personally, I don't think you need to add red food coloring to anything - it looks as advertised - if you want it more red, without changing the spiciness, maybe think a sweet paprika or something,,, ? regardless, it looks fantastic!

Back