Kettle Bread

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hey, TVWBB! I haven't been posting much, as I've been stuck in a bit of a rut, so nothing really interesting to share. Yesterday, however, the crazy heat (107F in RWC...previous record for 9/6 was 99F!) drove me outside to bake my weekly bread......I risked needing a divorce attorney if I turned the oven on! ;)

I had three loaves to bake, so I didn't want to fiddle with the dutch oven for that amount of time, so I figured I would put my Kettle Pizza attachment into service. I used just the KP stone+base, as I didn't think I would need the top heat from the steel. I fired up a chimney of Kingsford, and, when ready, dumped that evenly around the sides and back (pretty much like my pizza setup) on top of about 2/3 of a chimney of unlit coals. Then I let that go to preheat the stone for about 40 minutes. When I was ready to bake, the stone temp was a little higher than my normal bake at 495F, but that was close enough (and it was already 9p, so.......) I scored the bread, slid it onto the stone with my peel (on parchment), then covered it with an inverted roaster (to capture the steam). After 15 minutes, I removed the roaster and parchment, rotated the bread 180 degrees, and let it go another 25 minutes (rotated again about halfway through.) Lo and behold, it worked! I got some decent oven spring and bloom, good color on the loaf, and the bottom, though darker than I'd like, was not torched! All in all, a good success for me with something new on the kettle.....

Bread formula:
1,125g AP flour
300g WW flour
180g Durum flour (semolina)
1,125g water
360g levain
39g salt

The setup (morning after picture.....my flash was off last night):

IMG_7124.jpeg

First loaf out:

IMG_7119.jpeg

The bakery is now closed!:

IMG_7122.jpeg

My breakfast this morning was buttered toast, and I was really happy with they way this bread turned out vis-a-vis my normal process in the oven. The crust was nice and shattery (a word?), the sour flavor was subtly present, and the nuttiness of the durum/semolina really came through.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rich

Fine looking loafs! We’ve been on an oven ban too. Yesterday morning I even cooked breakfast on the Blackstone. Heat wasn’t bad in the morning I just
Wanted to be camping 🤪

Gorgeous loaves Rich, and on a grill no less. Your creations never cease to amaze me. Thanks for the recipe too!

PS.... 111 here yesterday and I baked my loaf in the house oven. Predicting 110 today and I baking baguettes and a sourdough too. The smoke is keeping it cooler up here. Otherwise, it would be really hot!!

Last edited:
Awesome looking loafs Rich. I just finished developing some starter a couple of weeks ago, and have only made 1 Boule so far (tasted good). I need more practice until mine come out looking like that!

Those look delicious! Did you get all them all done on the same set of coals?
Riki, when I took each loaf off the grill, I put 4-5 unlit briquettes on each of the three sides that had coals. Since I bake the bread for the first 15 minutes covered, that allows the "ignition smoke" to dissipate before I remove the cover for the final 25 minutes. That seemed to work in terms of keeping the stone and grill at a good enough temp to bake the loaves.

Awesome looking loafs Rich. I just finished developing some starter a couple of weeks ago, and have only made 1 Boule so far (tasted good). I need more practice until mine come out looking like that!
Awesome, Doug! I find the process of making bread to be very cathartic (and fun, too.) It takes some practice to get accustomed to what's going on with your starter, dough, and bread, but once you do, it's fun to be able to turn out consistent loaves that you like.....and to be able to adjust things like timing on the fly (say, on a day when it's 104F, and you just KNOW that everything is going to ferment faster!) Keep it up!

R

Hey, TVWBB! I haven't been posting much, as I've been stuck in a bit of a rut, so nothing really interesting to share. Yesterday, however, the crazy heat (107F in RWC...previous record for 9/6 was 99F!) drove me outside to bake my weekly bread......I risked needing a divorce attorney if I turned the oven on! ;)

I had three loaves to bake, so I didn't want to fiddle with the dutch oven for that amount of time, so I figured I would put my Kettle Pizza attachment into service. I used just the KP stone+base, as I didn't think I would need the top heat from the steel. I fired up a chimney of Kingsford, and, when ready, dumped that evenly around the sides and back (pretty much like my pizza setup) on top of about 2/3 of a chimney of unlit coals. Then I let that go to preheat the stone for about 40 minutes. When I was ready to bake, the stone temp was a little higher than my normal bake at 495F, but that was close enough (and it was already 9p, so.......) I scored the bread, slid it onto the stone with my peel (on parchment), then covered it with an inverted roaster (to capture the steam). After 15 minutes, I removed the roaster and parchment, rotated the bread 180 degrees, and let it go another 25 minutes (rotated again about halfway through.) Lo and behold, it worked! I got some decent oven spring and bloom, good color on the loaf, and the bottom, though darker than I'd like, was not torched! All in all, a good success for me with something new on the kettle.....

Bread formula:
1,125g AP flour
300g WW flour
180g Durum flour (semolina)
1,125g water
360g levain
39g salt

The setup (morning after picture.....my flash was off last night):

View attachment 13571

First loaf out:

View attachment 13572

The bakery is now closed!:

View attachment 13573

My breakfast this morning was buttered toast, and I was really happy with they way this bread turned out vis-a-vis my normal process in the oven. The crust was nice and shattery (a word?), the sour flavor was subtly present, and the nuttiness of the durum/semolina really came through.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rich
Nice loafs! Do you do an overnight retard in the fridge? Picture perfect bake.

Nice loafs! Do you do an overnight retard in the fridge? Picture perfect bake.
Jim, I frequently do a long fridge retard (12-18 hrs), but these were a single day bake, and all of my stages were shorter than normal due to the heat. I think my dough temp was close to 90F, and usually it's about 75F.

R

Jim, I frequently do a long fridge retard (12-18 hrs), but these were a single day bake, and all of my stages were shorter than normal due to the heat. I think my dough temp was close to 90F, and usually it's about 75F.

R
Wow a wee bit warm huh?

Back