Just when I thought I was through they pull me back in

You can’t make a killing on your friends or church members.
A fair profit in a full on business agreement with a friend or church Mayberry is a different matter.
I made some good deals to friends when I sold instruments and jewelry. I gave up my commission and a little more than I should have on some rings and so on, (especially the important ones) and went a little closer on margin with guitars but, you know, help out a brother when you can.

Well he picked it up yesterday, he's a happy guy. Now since that Platinum is still available and she's asking me "are you still interested" I think having it sit around is getting old for her. So I will try and get a peek at it today and if it's as she says (all the parts to run it either as LP or NG and it's all "there") I'll see if I can snag it on the cheap. But, I am also wondering something else. Does anyone know or tried if a deep fire box can be swapped into the frame of the later model shallow box grills? If so maybe they can be done in reverse also. Than I would put that shallow box into the frame of my older 2000 and the box from the 2000 into the platinum getting me the best of both worlds. Bottom line I am going to try and snag it for a maximum $65 investment. I guess stay tuned to this bat channel and we'll see

I am even going to offer my Summit 450 to the other party that wanted the Genesis I sold. Not sure of a fair price. The frame is in excellent shape, no rust, casters roll well, even fire box is in decent shape because I had bought that other part from another member here.
Now, the bad:
It's DIRTY I have not had a chance to clean it up, it needs crossover burners (mains are fine), and it needs igniter boxes and wires. I have brand new grates for it (not rod type but brand new stainless like the newer Summits came with), the FB's just need brushing clean. I even have a blue head for it.
I'm thinking of looking for the same $65 (maybe $75?) for it. I think it's a lot of grill for the $$$$
Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Apologies for those of you too young to understand the reference :D

I am even going to offer my Summit 450 to the other party that wanted the Genesis I sold. Not sure of a fair price. The frame is in excellent shape, no rust, casters roll well, even fire box is in decent shape because I had bought that other part from another member here.
Now, the bad:
It's DIRTY I have not had a chance to clean it up, it needs crossover burners (mains are fine), and it needs igniter boxes and wires. I have brand new grates for it (not rod type but brand new stainless like the newer Summits came with), the FB's just need brushing clean. I even have a blue head for it.
I'm thinking of looking for the same $65 (maybe $75?) for it. I think it's a lot of grill for the $$$$
Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Apologies for those of you too young to understand the reference :D

I think that's a very good price for a Summit without the characteristic scary rot. I'd try to at least get $75.

Now, the bad:

Man, Larry, I wish we weren't so far apart! That seems VERY fair to me. I don't know if you saw my post about the one for sale here in Florida, but yours would certainly be better than that natural gas one. Maybe I would even get that other one and combine parts with yours...I just wish it didn't cost a mint to ship things.:mad:

Yeah, I wish I was closer to Larry too! Or Bruce, or you Jon! It would be fun to swap stories and tips first hand face to face with some vast experience like you guys!

Larry coming from the peanut gallery I would go with $75-80. As Buffalo Bob would say you can always come down but you can't go up.

Yeah, I wish I was closer to Larry too! Or Bruce, or you Jon! It would be fun to swap stories and tips first hand face to face with some vast experience like you guys!

I would like that too! I am afraid what I have is more like a vast quantity of unfinished projects!:(

I would like that too! I am afraid what I have is more like a vast quantity of unfinished projects!:(

Yep, I had to put the garage cleaning on hold so I could tear down, clean and reassemble my Genny find. Since then, I have developed an eye problem...I just can’t see finishing the garage project!

My semi annual garage cleaning project has been on the top of my list for two years now.

My semi annual garage cleaning project has been on the top of my list for two years now.

I actually did my garage cleaning last week the wife was out of town. She was shocked when she came home.

Jon gave me inspiration when he actually cleaned all his grills off the deck when he told his wife he would actually do it.

I thank the powers that my wife has not deemed it necessary for a “grill intervention” but, the flip side is she has a far more serious Jones for unusual cloisonné! If I find a few pieces through the year, and stockpile for the important dates, she does not scowl too much.
This year, I’m in the plus column!

Larry, just hit that link now its $90 bucks time to make your move.

I'm gonna try on it today. I'm gonna need it to be no more than $70. $50-$60 is my goal. Than I am not sure if I would hang on to that really nice 2000 I got thanks to Bruce or let that go too. Now that I have the Q320 I'm thinking I'd like to thin my herd to the Wolf, a single large frame Genesis with side burner (both on the deck) and the Q320 as the "garage queen". I am thinking this would be a nice manageable herd for current life style and such. I really want something with a side burner on my deck. Perhaps I can take the side burner off the Platinum, install it on the 2000 making it a 3000 but than the Platinum would not have a table on that side :(
In many ways I like the 2000 better because of the deeper fire box and the flip up side table which oddly the Platinum does not have
BTW the second guy that was interested in the Genesis Silver B seems quite interested in the Summit. All it needs is some elbow grease, 2 Xover tubes and igniter boxes and it will be a whole working grill. So I told him I would be looking for no more than $75 for it. So we shall see.......................stay tuned to this Bat Channel

That sounds like a good plan Larry. I'm seriously thinking of down sizing also even though I do use them all. I have never really found a need for a side burner except the one I took off the 3000 I bought three years ago and installed it on my JJ/WSM cart to light the charcoal with.
I then put my green 1000 into the 3000 frame replaced the side burner with another shelf and added a right hand flip up. Barb really likes that setup as she does a lot of the side dishes and likes having all the shelf space.
With the NG E320 (our outside oven) along with the skyline and 2000 I have all the gassers I need. With the JJ and WSM on one cart and the performer for larger cooks. I'd be good to go.
But then they really don't cost me anything and there available if I want to use them, oh well maybe I'll just stop adding to the herd.

Back