Jumbo Joe or other portable grill

Ted from Bristow

TVWBB Member
So I need a portable grill that I can take with me camping/beach/cub scouts/etc. The smokey joe is just too small to cook for a family of six, so I'm looking at the 18" Jumbo Joe. I'm guessing hot dogs, hamburgers, and sausages will be the primary meats cooked, but would also like to grill corn, veggies, and the occasional steaks too.
I realize this is a Weber-centric forum, but is there another portable grill I should consider? I think a charcoal grill is my best play, but should I consider propane as well?
TIA

Check CL for a 18 ots you can v hop the legs dow and then buy these rubber caps for the legs some guys have use shower curtian rod and cut that short say 15 inches .makes it more portable but with room plus cheap.

you probably don't have this problem but many places ban charcoal so make sure of that. and yes, the above suggestion is a great one.

The Jumbo Joe is the way to go. It seals up nicely to make it easily portable. The handle also acts as a hold-down bail when transporting and a lid holder when cooking. They're only $60 brand new. This guy near me likes his so much he made a website for it:
http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/

Also, thanks for getting involved in Scouting. We do a lot of charcoal cooking in our Boy Scout Troop and the Scouts love it.

Ted, by the description of your activities I'm guessing you have a truck or utility vehicle, but if you haul all your stuff in a car you might want to make sure a Jumbo Joe will fit in the trunk since its legs are fixed in place.

I absolutely love my jumbo joe take it with me whenever I go camping smokey joe just wasn't quite large enough I've done everything from pizza too stuffed portabella caps and it cooks great there's a mini charcoal chimney (on amazon) that holds a good amount of charcoal for this size helps with space

For you guys that take the Jumbo Joe camping.....Here is another reason why I love the Jumbo Joe. You can pack everything except the burgers inside the grill :)

Jumbo-Joe-with-Starter-cubes.jpg

Fitting-more-into-the-Jumbo.jpg

Chips-and-buns-in-the-Jumbo.jpg

Fully-Packed-Jumbo-Joe.jpg

It's a pretty slick trick!

We used a Smoky Joe last year, but I felt it was too small and sold it to a friend. Used the proceeds to put towards the Jumbo Joe. Absolutely love this grill - we keep it right with our RV on a seasonal site. But to answer the OP original question - Jumbo Joe should serve you well, but we also use a Q220 from Weber too (great for when it rains) - and I feel it's pretty portable. But I have to admit to going to the Jumbo Joe more often. Want to take a road trip to the beach, or visit another park while your camping, just toss it in the truck and go.

jumbojoe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back