January 1st, 2023 šŸ„³

Happy New Year from Barb and me. Taking my new 7-quart digital slow cooker for its first cook. Was going to do a Tri Tip on the performer but super windy and rain forecasted for all of today. Had a nice big ham bone from Christmas so spit pea soup is getting the call.

Fairly moist here, started raining about 02:00 this morning and has been drizzling on and off all day, reheated some wings from last night for lunch, pretty good for a ā€œsecond roundā€ might do a pan of ā€œKing Ranchā€ chicken for dinner. Guacamole and chips, frosty beverage, sounds like a reasonable way to spend a rainy afternoon.

King Ranch chicken? Little taste of Texas today huh? Brisket on the offset for me today. IMG20230101080805.jpg
Fairly moist here, started raining about 02:00 this morning and has been drizzling on and off all day, reheated some wings from last night for lunch, pretty good for a ā€œsecond roundā€ might do a pan of ā€œKing Ranchā€ chicken for dinner. Guacamole and chips, frosty beverage, sounds like a reasonable way to spend a rainy afternoon.

King Ranch chicken? Little taste of Texas today huh? Brisket on the offset for me today. View attachment 64629
I wish Iā€™d had a brisket to do today! Too much other stuff in the works! Maybe next weekā€¦

I had way more than the three of us would eat so, I sent over half home with daughter in law so she didnā€™t need to feel like she needed to figure out what to make tonight.
Granddaughter is camping with us tonight and said the KR chicken was excellent!
CEADF453-61B5-4A9F-A0BA-5170DBBC143A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunday is Chinese take out for us. I did make a pot of Posole to keep that holiday tradition alive in the family. My son made a pot in North Carolina, and his daughter made a pot in Colorado. That's a tradition we brought with us from our 7 years in Albuquerque, N.M. Chilis roasted on the Smokefire at 450-500Ā°F..

Happy New Year to you all!

I sorta have a tradition for New Year's day that I've been doing for 20 years - couldn't do it yesterday because 1. it was raining 2. no college bowl games.

So, it's back on for today:
bbq chicken, bacon wrapped tater tots, baked beans, grilled veggie mix - and champagne (well, 'sparkling wine').

Enjoy your day!

Back