Italian Beef

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
I wanted something new to do with my pepper harvest this year, so I found a couple recipes for giardiniera, tweaked them to match my tastes and pepper harvest, and made 8 pints last week. Of course, the next step was figuring out what to do with giardiniera. Seemed like the best idea was to make Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches. Most of this cook loosely follows the recipe on amazing ribs dot com.

Eye of round coated in rub on a rack over a pan of "Better Than Bouillon" beef base, water, dehydrated garlic and dehydrated shallots.

goingon.jpg

After an hour, I dropped the roast down into the liquid and finished as a braise.

goingin.jpg

In another hour I took it off and put it in the fridge to chill. Could have pulled it 20 minutes earlier.

done.jpg

Borrowed my buddy's slicer to shave the beef paper thin.

slice.jpg

Drown the sliced beef in the warm braising liquid, mound up on a roll strong enough to hold up to the juice, and cover with giardiniera.

plated.jpg

The sandwiches were delicious. Great use for a cut that can be amazingly tough. The braising juice was good enough I could have swilled it on its own. Most rewarding, my giardiniera is just the right balance of spicy, crunchy and vinegary.

Wow! Looks great. That pic of the finished roast is outstanding. Nice depth of field.

Great looking sandwich!!! That meat slicer you have is perfect for those cheaper cuts of beef!

Thanks for all the "attaboys".

Clay, don't process the giardiniera, just put it in jars and put it in the fridge. Keeps the crunch in the veggies. Here's the recipe I used as a starting point: http://www.chicagonow.com/nancys-world/2013/10/world-famous-giardiniera-recipe/ It helps to have a second fridge for stuff like this...which we do.

I used a higher percentage of hot peppers, Alma Paprika peppers instead of bells for the sweets, more olives and fresh cayenne instead of red pepper flake. After chopping everything, I figured I had at least a double batch, so I doubled all the spices and the oil and vinegar. Just barely had enough juice to cover the last jar, so it worked out perfect.

What kind of slicer did you borrow to shave the beef paper thin? I received a slicer as a gift last year and it simply is not up to the task.

What kind of slicer did you borrow to shave the beef paper thin? I received a slicer as a gift last year and it simply is not up to the task.

It's a Chef'sChoice Model 645. Other than being a pain to clean up, it was fantastic. But then, how could a slicer not be a pain to clean up?

The cook and the sandwich both look good.
It's nice to see a Q post!
I have a buddy that worked in a deli who lost the tip of a finger to cleaning a slicer.

Outstanding looking sandwich, Jeff! I regret not having had the opportunity to try Italian beef during the one time I visited Chicago.

Back