Is Thermoworks Feeling the Heat?

Yes, I would not try submerging the Lightning. You might get away with it, but it's IP65 rating does not cover temporary immersion like Therapen ONE's IP67 rating.

FWIW, I have dropped (accidentally of course) my TP19H in the sink. It survived. I've left it outside in driving ran storms as well. No ill effects. At least for me, I have not been able to "hurt" it :D. Still like I said earlier................at $69 if I needed another thermo, I would be all over the Thermoworks One. If the TP LIghtning was $29 or even $39? Now we have something to think about.

Shoot, my g/f has dunked my original Thermapen (nearly 20 years old!) several times in the dishwater. Can't kill it, can't quite justify a new one if this one still lives on like a zombie......

FWIW, I have dropped (accidentally of course) my TP19H in the sink. It survived. I've left it outside in driving ran storms as well. No ill effects. At least for me, I have not been able to "hurt" it :D. Still like I said earlier................at $69 if I needed another thermo, I would be all over the Thermoworks One. If the TP LIghtning was $29 or even $39? Now we have something to think about.
So far, I have watched Tom Horsman's review and our own Chris Allingham's much more thorough review. They both leave me believing that the Lightning is a much closer step toward Thermoworks Thermapens. I am hoping to do my own little review and maybe come at it from a slightly different emphasis, since Chris has covered most it so well already.

So, I am not ready to say I agree or disagree with you, Larry. I have the ThermoPro TP 620. It is a really nice unit with bright display. I still use it a lot, but when I pick up my Thermapen One there is no question that it is better made and just "feels" more substantial. For me, the jury is still a bit out on the new Lightning. I hope I can add some more insight to the question of whether this new ThermoPro is a major step up to the Thermoworks league or just another nice lower cost (somewhat) option.

I'm just looking at it as a price to benefit thing. If the difference between the One is only $20 to the Lightning I'm gonna grab the One. If it's $30 difference or more, well this old cheapskate is gonna go cheaper

I have the Smoke, two Thermopops and classic Thermopen. all have been reliable although the Thermopen mostly stays in the drawer, I prefer the Thermpops and they are just as fast as the Thermopen and have a light.
I recently bought three more Thermopops when they were on sale for gifts.

I have two different cheap $15 Chinese pens. They both work just fine.

I have one Chinese ThermoPro 4-probe knockoff, which works but not great.

But then I have both a 4-probe ThermoPro TP17H and a 4-probe TP27, which both work great and cost me much less than the competition.

I'm in no rush to splurge on such items if other give the ThermoPros good reviews.

Update: Today is the last day (at least for now!) for the "double" discount bringing the price of the new lightning below $49:

I suspect it won't be the last day for the double discount down the road, One goes on sale for $69 Lightning will go to $49 just my humble opinion.

Even Larry who is frugal no doubt and nothing wrong with that is buying the One over the Lightning for $20 bucks.

My son-in-law ends up with a nice TP829 which I think I paid 44 bucks but amazon points less then of course I know better the Smoke was $99 soon as I bought the 829 dropped to 79 bucks that was still a big difference but once it got to 59 bucks its a no brainer.

Last edited:
Still like I said earlier................at $69 if I needed another thermo, I would be all over the Thermoworks One. If the TP LIghtning was $29 or even $39? Now we have something to think about.
I think the TP19H fills the bill for the lower price range. You can’t blame ThermoPro for trying to grab some of the share of the upper market, though. I don’t think they can go a whole lot lower than this introductory price on this higher quality component unit. For some, that difference will be enough to get the sale. For others, a Thermapen One is worth the premium.

Myself, I am more interested in whether the new Lightning exudes a quality feel or is just another OK thermometer and still an “also ran” in this new competition.

I need the Lightning like I need a hole in my shoe but I just now checked my Amazon cart again and it showed a 5% coupon (while still honoring the 30% discount at checkout).

1670881322970.png

So guess who ThermoPro just sold one to at $45.46 plus tax?

I don't know why I'm amused by this but after their timer reached 00 : 00 : 00 : 00 it reset to two additional days and they still have only 86 units left, lol

1670937682515.png

Back