Is Thermoworks Feeling the Heat?

Oh, what fun. Doesn't Florida have sales tax at all?
Oh yes - and EXTRA HEAVY sales tax on stuff like hotels to put it to all of our (well formerly our) visitors! But maybe Amazon doesn't meet the nexus test to have to charge Florida sales tax. I wouldn't have thought that, but I don't really know.

First, I just brought it up on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBR2RL6X/?tag=tvwb-20

When I did so, there was a check box for a 30% discount. I checked it and added it to my cart (for me, that discount doesn't show available now but I presume it's because there was a disclaimer that it was valid only for one product):

Then I went to www.buythermopro.com and clicked claim offer now:
View attachment 67421

Doing so brought up this link:
View attachment 67422

Which resulted in this response:
View attachment 67423

And sure enough when I went back to the Amazon cart both discounts were included:
View attachment 67424
Many thanx!

So this Lightning is basically a knockoff of Thermoworks One?

Hmmm the impulsive person in me thinking of biting, although my ThermoPop is still working fine and I haven't really cared about the 3 seconds temp instead of 1 second

Hmmm the impulsive person in me thinking of biting, although my ThermoPop is still working fine and I haven't really cared about the 3 seconds temp instead of 1 second
I totally understand this, Chris. I lived fine with my older Thermapen but decided to bite on this Lightning in December and--for me--I've come to appreciate its practicality. As alluded by Bruce in #250 I kinda enjoy getting in and out more quickly, particularly when probing several areas of a given meat.

Dang Larry. You ordered yours after I did and mine won't be here until Tuesday.
Yeah, and I was truly hoping to use it on the hunk of pork shoulder I threw into the pellet grill but the damn thing is going ERR AGAIN! I am so pissed at it. I don't know what is causing it. I think pellets may not be reaching the burn pot but the way it happens it makes it nearly impossible to troubleshoot. It's really getting me PO'd. I love the thing but if this is the crap I gotta live with I will not be a happy camper. IDK if the pellets are not getting there, if the auger is jamming, if the motor is bad. It was working great after I put it together and yesterday when I cooked on it

You havent installed the new parts yet, have you? Have you tried an alternate brand of pellets yet?

I have 2 brands both are doing this. I took out the Costco and installed the Sams same issue. I think for some reason pellets are not getting to the burn pot occasionally. Earlier I noticed the auger would make noises of trying to turn but would only click and you could see the auger hesitating. I wonder if the motor has a bad gear. It looks like a normal timing motor from an old appliance

Not sure on that Larry. I hope you figure something out those. But, what about the new parts coming from MM? Do you think they might help. Do they include the motor?

Yeah they're sending me the whole hopper with motors, sensors, controller and so on. IN looking I see Trauger and so on there seems to be upgraded made in USA motors. and they're all exactly like the MM. Seem sto all be same parts for Traeger and so on. I may go that route

Thanks BFletcher for the heasmds up. It’s a very nice thermometer for $34.99, wife loves it, I was able to get my thermopen one out of the kitchen and left her the Lightning.😃

Last edited:
Thanks BFletcher for the heasmds up. It’s a very nice thermometer for $34.99, wife loves it, I was able to get my thermopen one out of the kitchen and left her the Lightning.😃
Yep, he's such an "enabler" :D Used mine a few times now. It is fast, though I think the biggest difference I see in using mine as compared the TP19 (the big red one with big red numbers) is one the Lightning is more hefty and substantial in the hand, two, the probe on the lightning folds out a little easier and smoother (feels a little more quality), and three, both the Lightning and the TP19 are VERY fast. though the Lightning seems to settle much faster. The TP19 gives a reading plenty fast but the Lightning grabs a reading in less time and settles on it. Maybe about half the time total. Ol big red is no slouch but the Lightning is faster

Yep, he's such an "enabler" :D Used mine a few times now. It is fast, though I think the biggest difference I see in using mine as compared the TP19 (the big red one with big red numbers) is one the Lightning is more hefty and substantial in the hand, two, the probe on the lightning folds out a little easier and smoother (feels a little more quality), and three, both the Lightning and the TP19 are VERY fast. though the Lightning seems to settle much faster. The TP19 gives a reading plenty fast but the Lightning grabs a reading in less time and settles on it. Maybe about half the time total. Ol big red is no slouch but the Lightning is faster
What would you estimate the time to be for both of these? Is it like 1 second?

What would you estimate the time to be for both of these? Is it like 1 second?
Both will give a readout in under a second but the Lightning gives an actual "settled" reading in about 1 to 2 seconds. Honestly I don't know how it could be faster. Physics would say you have to wait for the probe's exterior to transfer heat to the actual sensor. The only way it could be faster is for the exterior of the probe to be the actual sensor itself.

Back