Is it a meatloaf? Is it a Fattie? - 2nd cook on WSM 14"

Anne M.

TVWBB Pro
It was time for a second cook on the WSM. This time I decided to go with some ground beef that I had in the fridge.
Mixed it with onion, sweet soy, garlic, cilantro, home made sambal badjak (extra hot), an egg and some breadcrumbs and formed it into something resembling an oversized sausage

01%20beef%20mince-garlic-onion-ketjap-fresh%20coriander-egg-breadcrumb-sambal%20badjak_zpsfaganqxo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I used 1/2 a chimney of lump charcoal and managed to catch the temperature on the up. I managed to keep the temperature around 106-120 oC ( 225-250 oF) while the outside temperature was about 30 oC (85 oF) with some gusts of wind.
I did use the waterbowl as I figure it is easier to control the temperature with it in my climate. I still had to close the windward bottom vent and the other 2 bottom vents were at 3/4 closed.
Gonna be fun when we are hitting the 45 oC (110+ oF) in summer!!!!

I had the one temperature probe under the top rack and the meat probe through the top vent. The one through the top vent meant that I couldn't put the thermometer on the ground, but the door handle came to the rescue

04%20where%20to%20keep%20your%20thermometer_zps2dssvekg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took the meatloaf off at 71 oC (160 oF) internal temperature and let it rest a bit.

05%20peeking%20at%2071%20oC_zpsntvmofit.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

06%20done_zpsuliydvzc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Meanwhile I took the middle section of the wsm and opened all vents to get a nice fire going.

08%20scenery%20while%20firing%20up%20wsm%20to%20high_zpsxpzdj5er.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Grilled 2 slices and ate them on a roll with mustard and home made pickles.

10%20finishing%20slice%20of%20meatloaf_zps4huufexa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11%20roll%20with%20mustard%20and%20pickled%20cucumber_zpslxsdz7dt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

13%20ready%20to%20eat_zpsvtzby25k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All in all a much more successfull cook than the previous one and I think I am getting the hang of maintaining the temperature.
It's going to be a different issue for long cooks though, as it looks like the waterbowl needs to be replenished after about 3 hours or so....

Well, Anne, whatever you choose to call it, one thing is for sure...I want a slice! The cutaway photo pretty much speaks for itself. Great stuff.

That's one heck of a start with you new WSM. Excellent cook, love the photo of where the surf meets the turf and the pup

Looks great and you will get the hang of the WSM. Just remember each cook will be just a little different then the one before it.

That is a great cook. As others have stated, you will get the hang of your WSM, and as you get more cooks on the WSM, it will seal up better and temperature maintenance will get better. Love the view. Did the pup get a taste?

Anne you did awesome with that meat loaf. The cut away pic tells that story, it looks so yummy. Great job.

I'd call it meat loaf! But either way it looks tasty! The 14.5 WSM is a great little smoker. Nice smoke!

Thanks all!
I was pretty please with this cook.

The picture in the middle was not really necessary, but I did like the look of it. And of course, my Jacky got some of the food. And the other Jacky as well (he just wasn't in the picture)...

As for the probe wires, my wsm has a rubber bit on the side that the probes can go through. It is in between the 2 grates, so still playing around with the best way to put them. In this case, I didn't want to mess around with the meat too much as I was scared it might fall apart ...

Back