IF You Were Going To Pick A Dog.........

Hard to beat a Lab. Winchester has been our granddaughter’s friend and protector since she was born!
Nothing he loves more than a houseful of little kids running around.
4DD7D63C-4831-4A1B-8C7F-EAC2D6A3FDCD.png

Can't argue with getting a Labrador but if a smaller dog would be a better fit, look at the West Highland Terrier. Ivory dog loves our grandkids.

We miss our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so much. We would love to get another one but the strange Covid economy has made their cost from a reputable breeder absolutely ridiculous. Health concerns and puppy mill dogs make getting one risky with inbreeding etc.

Anyone knows where to find one...I would happily drive 1000 miles to find one,

I agree we've had Golden Retrievers for the last thirty some years all were rescues but all were sweet loving gentle pups.
But our current pup is a black lab that was gifted to us as a puppy. She now is four years old I have to say she has to be sweetest pup of all.
Super friendly everyone she meets is her new BFF gets along great with other dogs and is built like a tank. totally indestructible.
But be they are big and extremely strong and very energetic but also very smart and easy trainable.

100_1949.JPG
Abby (lab puppy) and Whitney her new foster mom.

100_2884 - Copy.JPG
Abby today.

I'm partial to German Shepherds. Ours have always loved being around children, no matter how old or young...
But they require exercise. More the better. We're not just talking walks around the block. Our's is measured in miles per day... ;)
Can be a handful for those less able to provide such daily exercise.

A pug, either beige or black. Kids love a pug.

I walk my little black pug at a city park that's right next to an elementary school. When we happen to walk the part of the trail near the playground during recess, the kids go wild , running over to the fence, to see the pug.

And if I'm there when school is letting out, it takes forever to get around the trail with the kids wanting to pet her.

For larger to mid size, I'd go with a golden retriever or Lab (that's what we have the most of in my family). Smaller dogs, I agree that the West Highland Terrier is a good choice. Nothing wrong with a well chosen mixed breed either. Standard poodles can be really good family pets as well.

Best, most gentle dog ever was our Great Pyrenees. Absolutely loved kids

PS. They Shed

Attachments

• Maggie Aug 08 002 (2017_11_07 17_49_47 UTC).jpg
    Maggie Aug 08 002 (2017_11_07 17_49_47 UTC).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
I've owned Siberin Huskies for over 30 years. Currently have three. However, I would not recommend that breed. I don't think you could go wrong with a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They make great family dogs.

I agree we've had Golden Retrievers for the last thirty some years all were rescues but all were sweet loving gentle pups.
But our current pup is a black lab that was gifted to us as a puppy. She now is four years old I have to say she has to be sweetest pup of all.
Super friendly everyone she meets is her new BFF gets along great with other dogs and is built like a tank. totally indestructible.
But be they are big and extremely strong and very energetic but also very smart and easy trainable.

View attachment 48907
Abby (lab puppy) and Whitney her new foster mom.

View attachment 48908
Abby today.
That’s a beautiful dog.

I have a neighbor with a pile of kids - they've got a couple standard poodles. Those two don't shed and are great with kids. Never thought I would plug a poodle...

We rescued a doberman a few years back and the poodles go from serious roughhousing in my yard then straight back to snuggling a toddler. It's uncanny.

Short answer: The breed I‘ve had, just like everyone else. Hey, we all love our dogs.

Long answer: Both our lab mix and our purebred golden retriever were easy going and good with our kids, because we got them as a puppies and they all grew up in the same house together. Our golden was the sweetest, most easy going dog we’ve ever had.

But all dogs, regardless of breed, can act differently with visitors, as they are guardians by nature. They are also always competing to establish their place in the household hierarchy just like they would in a pack. If you are getting a puppy, it should be no problem at all; if the dog is more than a few months old, having developed habits somewhere else can be an issue, and will require extra supervision.

There are a lot of good puppy/dog books available that explain how to deal with this, even for specific breeds. I like the ‘for Dummies’ series and usually get them from the library. I am a dog person, but I never trust them 100% with other people.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Attachments

• 31776450-62A0-4286-82F2-EC41D441CE9C.jpeg
    31776450-62A0-4286-82F2-EC41D441CE9C.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back