IF You Were Going To Pick A Dog.........

The smartest, most gentle, obedient and take everywhere I went was a Springer Spaniel/Brittany Spaniel mix. His only brain “malfunction” was bird hunting. When the Springer part of his brain prevailed, he would flush birds, and when the Brittany brain dominated, he would point the birds. Since he was a close in hunting dog, I didn’t care (it amused me greatly) but it would really throw off my hunting buddies.
1649874649659.jpeg
After he passed at 16 years old, we got a full bred Springer Spaniel, the cutest puppies ever.
1649874554449.jpeg

Last edited:
Labrador or golden retriever ;)

Although there are plenty other dog types that are good with kids. Depends on training as well.

My one Jack Russell loves kids, the other one doesn't.
Friends of mine have staffies and they are great with dogs, just not with other animals.
Border collies generally do well, but need a heck of a lot of exercise. But that could just be great with kids
My mixed breeds have all been fine with kids, and terribly loyal

Short answer: The breed I‘ve had, just like everyone else. Hey, we all love our dogs.

Long answer: Both our lab mix and our purebred golden retriever were easy going and good with our kids, because we got them as a puppies and they all grew up in the same house together. Our golden was the sweetest, most easy going dog we’ve ever had.

But all dogs, regardless of breed, can act differently with visitors, as they are guardians by nature. They are also always competing to establish their place in the household hierarchy just like they would in a pack. If you are getting a puppy, it should be no problem at all; if the dog is more than a few months old, having developed habits somewhere else can be an issue, and will require extra supervision.

There are a lot of good puppy/dog books available that explain how to deal with this, even for specific breeds. I like the ‘for Dummies’ series and usually get them from the library. I am a dog person, but I never trust them 100% with other people.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!
Love this pic. I have a soft spot for the gray faces.

I loved my Lab, I’ve also known some standard poodles that were as sweet as the day is long. I didn’t notice a lot of loose hair with the poodles but, I could be wrong.

Female boxer. Mine is a fierce protector of my wife and kids. Oddly as she gets older, 8 years old now she is getting grumpier towards other people. We thought she would calm down some but the opposite has happen.

The smartest, most gentle, obedient and take everywhere I went was a Springer Spaniel/Brittany Spaniel mix. His only brain “malfunction” was bird hunting. When the Springer part of his brain prevailed, he would flush birds, and when the Brittany brain dominated, he would point the birds. Since he was a close in hunting dog, I didn’t care (it amused me greatly) but it would really throw off my hunting buddies.
View attachment 48948
After he passed at 16 years old, we got a full bred Springer Spaniel, the cutest puppies ever.
View attachment 48947
A Brittany was my first dog. When my daughter was born, he would rock her cradle with a front paw.

Back