I will just leave this here

Ok, now I am really confused. Are we looking at the same grill?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/hsh/d/birmingham-weber-genesis-platinum-gas/7053217368.html

I do not see any rust in these pics, other than some light surface rust on the lids,
easily removed with a little bit of Barkeepers. Am I missing something?

Same Grill Dave. I think Jon just figures the "might" be some rust in the corners and creases of the cabinet.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm afraid of alligators more than snow :D

They say Alligator tastes like chicken.

Last edited:
The ad for the Detroit Platinum states in part:

housing is clean but has a little rust on the underside of the bottom of the cabinet (not structural)

So what little rust is there is not visible in the pics.

They say Alligator tastes like chicken

It does I have eaten it. Kinda like stringy chicken white meat with a tiny bit of fishy in it. Almost unnoticeable. It is a bit chewy though. But, I dare say a gator would find me more tasty than I find it. :D

Just downloaded a new app. It’s a place where people sell to other people, but no local meetups it’s all shipping based.

Mercari is the name of app, no clue how to pronounce that.

Found a Weber 7107 cover, brand new, for my Genesis 310 for $25 shipped. Not bad considering the Amazon price is $89.
I’ve always leaned towards the Weber covers because I like the logo and also gives everyone an idea of what’s underneath.

The ad for the Detroit Platinum states in part:

So what little rust is there is not visible in the pics.

Yeah, that was what I saw that gave rise to my rust comment. I think at this point you would be hard pressed to find one of these without rust or broken welds on the extension. Neither has to be deal breaker, but if you expect top price I think they have to be fixed.

I am happy with how I changed the bottom of mine by junking the rusty old structural bottom and replacing with horizontal frame tubes. That was easy, but making them work with the doors was not. I then made durawood slat bottom pieces, using cut aluminum z-bar for holders. I just wish I could come up with a cost effective way to make stainless or even aluminum panels for the sides and back that look close to stock and not like one of BA’s quick makeover jobs on the A-Team!

Just downloaded a new app. It’s a place where people sell to other people, but no local meetups it’s all shipping based.

Mercari is the name of app, no clue how to pronounce that.

Found a Weber 7107 cover, brand new, for my Genesis 310 for $25 shipped. Not bad considering the Amazon price is $89.
I’ve always leaned towards the Weber covers because I like the logo and also gives everyone an idea of what’s underneath.

Kyle, sometimes advertising what's underneath it isn't a good idea. If your grill is out where someone can see it a logo cover makes it an easy target for porch pirates and if they are looking for a grill to snatch knowing it's a Weber makes it more desirable.
I do have some Weber covers but in my case they can't be seen from the street and if they did get into my back yard they would have to lift it over a six foot block wall fence.

Last edited:
Kyle, sometimes advertising what's underneath it isn't a good idea. If your grill is out where someone can see it a logo cover makes it an easy target for porch pirates and if they are looking for a grill to snatch knowing it's a Weber makes it more desirable.
I do have some Weber covers but in my case they can't be seen from the street and if they did get into my back yard they would have to lift it over a six foot block wall fence.

I agree if you live in an area like that. My grills can't be seen from the road and my neighbor two doors down is a police officer. Someone would have a really hard time rolling one of my grills up the backyard to the front driveway. Plus I've got motion lights and security cams. Not to mention my other neighbors are extremely nosy and if they noticed anyone snooping around they would either call me or post all about it on the neighborhood FB page.

On the flip side, in college I lived in Athens, GA for a year....my parents gave me their old wicker outdoor furniture set. It wasn't very nice. I lived in an apartment on the 2nd floor. One day I went out on my back porch and the furniture was gone....no clue how someone climbed up there and grabbed it.

I have to pick up my daughter and SIL at the Milwaukee airport this evening. There is a free Weber gas grill with cover on the way. I couldn't get any extra pictures from the lister, but they said it was still on the curb. I am going to stop by and grab it on the way to the airport. It is just off my travel path. I just hope when the use the term "Weber" it isn't simply a catch all for any brand gas grill. But, it is hard to pass on any FREE weber gas grill. Even if I get a decent manifold off it, it is worth it. Cover looks OK as well.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1196918930506392/?ref=messenger_banner

Since the description says "red in color" there is a good chance it might be a Weber. Not many other brands had red grills. Good luck.

It is a wood genesis 1000 redhead. Definitely a parts grill, but it was dark when I unburied it from the snow bank. Swing table was there but no side table. Red lid, unknown condition. Grease tray rails gone with a cobble job in its place.. I will get a better look at it in the morning.

I rehabbed one that had been converted. The guy took the wire rack from the bottom of the frame and put it inside the grill for the charcoal.

Back